Internet on Astra

Robbiewright

Member of the Big Dish Club
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky plus V3 and a 50 inch plasma screen.
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
I was watching The Gadget show and the host was showing diffrent ways to get an internet connection, one thing he did was walk around with a small sat dish, some sort of box and a lap top, he would point the dish to the sky and "presto", on line. So it was 2 way through the sat dish. I was very interested in this because here in Cairo the connection is poor at best, where I live I have dial up, sort of sometimes and no way as yet to improve it,

I have a sky box but don't get 2d. Can any one tell me what transponder this works through, how it works, links, anything?

Thanks,
Robbie

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
rolfw said:
It would be more likely Low Earth Orbit satellite internet Robbie, doubt if it's very cheap though. :)

I was looking at Satellite Internet for myself in scotland.. (no phonelines).

We did have wireless but it was turned off because of costs.

I did a search on't net last night and found a ISP which uses Satellite.

For 2mb's was £9.99PM, they do also offer upto 24mb but did look at their prices. unthoughtunatly its only 1 way :(

@ Robbie, Rolfw is quite right. 2Way is very expensive and isnt really worth it.

This particular supplier uses 8W.. so if you can get that then your in with a chance :). you will still need your dialup connection to request webpages or downloads.. and the download/ site will come down at broadband speeds.

Your Call.

R

Rd100

I install a lot of v-sat 2way internet systems for remote mast site for 2way coms but for a for a basic home user service in the uk with slow speeds 256k (at its best) your looking at £1000 for the modem dish feedhorn lnb & buc plus between £250-£750 for the install of the gear plus the a basic 256k service is about £60 per month

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
Oh, well, thought it was to good to be true.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Robbiewright said:
I was watching The Gadget show and the host was showing diffrent ways to get an internet connection, one thing he did was walk around with a small sat dish, some sort of box and a lap top, he would point the dish to the sky and "presto", on line. So it was 2 way through the sat dish. I was very interested in this because here in Cairo the connection is poor at best, where I live I have dial up, sort of sometimes and no way as yet to improve it,

I have a sky box but don't get 2d. Can any one tell me what transponder this works through, how it works, links, anything?

Thanks,
Robbie

Have you considered the Euorpe Online offers ? www.europeonline.com
You need a dish pointing to Eutelsat 7E and a DVB PCI card or DVB USB box. It is one way and you still need an ISP.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
All very interesting but not much good in Egypt. I know Orbit offer something but as expected, not allowed in Egypt. Shouldn't be to long before technology win and they can't stop it.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
This report says you will need a 80cm dish. I am wondering if I get a 2.4meter dish I might be able to get it in Cairo. Maybe when they start covering all of Europe?!

Big L

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2Channel Master Dish
Echostar/Technomate Receivers
My Location
Southern UK
Never really understood why SKY do not offer an inernet connection via 28.2 east. I live in an area where there is no broadband.. and unlikely to be. When you have SKY+or HD there is usually a spare output on the LNB.So why not connect it up to your PC?? I do subscribe to another as I need it for work. This had to be done via Euorbird 33e. The signal is not brilliant even on a 1.1m dish. It works though and runs at 2Mbps.. Not sure still why SKY can't offer it as there will always be loads of people in remote areas who will NEVER have broadband. A good marketing tool I would have thought..:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Before ADSL was available in my area, I used several Internet by satellite providers and with the exception of Europe On Line (which is surprisingly still going), they all failed due to excessive use by a percentage of subscribers which meant that speeds were dramatically reduced and on occasions the service stalled.

The problem is that to make it pay, they need a large amount of subscribers to share the bandwidth of a transponder, but in real terms it is difficult to manage, capping software doesn't work well and there will always be people there to abuse the service. I remember people on the old Starspeeder service who were downloading videos 24hrs a day, seven days a week, they were killing the service for the rest as it was constantly overloaded.

I guess that Sky would have to be mad to want to get involved in that market.

There are now alternative schemes available for broadband, if you live in a remote village. They involve a group wireless network and after the initial outlay are reasonable in price. :)