IP rating for BNC connector

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
There's a CATV cupboard in one of the residencies which has BNC connectors in the cabling for some CCTV equipment.

This cupboard is exposed to the elements and whilst it is waterproofed to a degree, when the wind blows from a side angle, water does get in through the vents and door.

The property is due to be upgraded in terms of electrical power, and whilst I am not involved in the supply wiring, I have been asked to deal with the CCTV and SMATV cable to ensure it can be signed off.

I really don't want to change the connectors since they are crimped onto cable that is clipped neatly and is of a type that will not easily adapt to F-type (solid dielectric and the sticky braid ) . Does anybody know what classification a standard BNC connector , plus barrels, would have in terms of the IPXX standard ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I suppose it begs the question, are the ones fitted rated with a high IP or are they cheap ones with a low IP rating used to glean a few pennies extra profit?

You can get IP67 rated ones according to a quick google search, but you can get IP30 ones too, so unless you know what's been fitted, it's a question of how long is a piece of string...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Most BNCs used for CCTV are not as far as I know IP rated, although they do offer a certain degress of protection against moisture.

How about just wrapping them with self amalgamating tape?

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax foxsat Thomson Tsr200 Pace 3100 Black pro quad dvbs2 80 and 100cm dishes
My Location
croatia Lat 45.3301 Lon 14.1822
Even better heat shrink wrap tubing.