Advice Needed IPTV Setup With All Channel Streams

A

Archive7

I would like to setup an IPTV streaming outside my network.
I have tried IPTV services but the video quality even for HD channels is just appalling and they give only the default audio stream and no subtitles.
What I would like to do is test how can I have all the streams (video, audio and subtitles).
For example ARTE HD has four audio options and sometimes they transmit subtitles usually on teletexts.
Has anybody tried this before?
Thanks.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Have a look at sat:ip

Home | SAT IP

At the end of the day if you want it to work outside your local network results are going to be down to your upload speed.

A

Archive7

Have a look at sat:ip

Home | SAT IP

At the end of the day if you want it to work outside your local network results are going to be down to your upload speed.
Thanks a lot. Plenty of reading to do.
I was hoping not buy any new equipment and to have a solution using my VU+ satellite receiver.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thanks a lot. Plenty of reading to do.
I was hoping not buy any new equipment and to have a solution using my VU+ satellite receiver.

Ok fair enough. I used to be able to stream the video output from my Vu+Duo's network port (before it disgraced itself with a failed mobo!) across my network so it should be reasonably easy to do the same outside the network using something like this procedure

Code:
http://www.singapore-dreambox.com/how-to-stream-dreambox-channels-over-the-internet/

A

archive10

I would like to setup an IPTV streaming outside my network.
I have tried IPTV services but the video quality even for HD channels is just appalling and they give only the default audio stream and no subtitles.
What I would like to do is test how can I have all the streams (video, audio and subtitles).
For example ARTE HD has four audio options and sometimes they transmit subtitles usually on teletexts.
Has anybody tried this before?
Thanks.
I assume you mean that you want to take a transport stream coming of a satellite-receiver and re-send it over IP to some player.
This works fine - what happens is this: From the satellite you get a mux (mutiplex) with a multiple program transport stream (MPTS).
The receiver reads the SI (system information), and filters out a single-program transport stream (SPTS).
The SPTS is composed of elementary streams (ES) such as video, audio, subtitles etc.
(In a normal sat-receiver situation, the ES's are sent to the "player" or A/V decoder for rendering.)

The challenge with streaming over IP is the format that is used to stream the SPTS over IP.
If your streamer/player use HLS for streaming, some older versions of HLS does not support multiple audio streams or subtitle-streams.
This means that the restreaming doesn't support the features you want.
Newer streaming protocols (HLS4+, DASH etc) does support all this - but then again your *player* may not.

If you use something like VLC as the receiving end, you should be fine on the player side.
Wrsp to the streaming end, you need to use software that does re-multiplexing (there are some free ones available on the 'net).
The best bet is probably (as AS points out) to have a Linux distro on a SAT receiver which includes re-streaming components.

The key challenge lies in reaching in from the outside, and getting stuff unto the "outside net".
For this, you will need a router that exposes your streamer's IP address on your external IP address (WAN address).
Most set-ups use "port forwarding", where the router takes requests on the WAN address and forwards them unto a server on the "inside" (LAN).
The requires you to know the port (e.g. 6939) that the HLS server is answering on.
You should then only forward the port you need, as *this is accessible by anyone on the internet* and therefore potentially a security risk!

Alternatively, if your router supports VLAN (virtual local area networks), you can also set up a secure extension of your network to some other router or PC.

Can you elaborate a little: Do you plan to use VLC on a PC yourself, or is this for, say, a second home (holiday cottage)?