Irritating issue with splitters...

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
Capestang, Herault, South of France
Hello again chaps
Can you believe trhis is the same as I was talking about in December? Grrr..

I have a cable running inside a wall that needs to take a satellite and terrestrial digital signal. I have a sat/tv splitter top and bottom from very helpful people in Wilts, and am using off the shelf cables everwhere I can. The ones I have made up, I have made at least twice.

The Satellite signal is faultless. However, trying to get a terrestrial signal is proving a nightmare. I have (on the setup screen of the decoder) 50% signal intensity, green coloured to show it is strong enough. The Signal quality however jumps about from 0% (most of the time) to 90%+, down to 30% and 0% again, inconsistently. Having changed the cabling over (and tried the wall embedded cable on it's own) so many times, I'm getting a bit bemused by it all.

One odd thing is that there is a slight current leak on the ariel bracket. Can't feel it on a hand, but a forearm or cheek, there's a definate tingle from somewhere. Would this make a difference?

Still smiling 4 months later... just!! :-ohcrap:confused

Miles

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The tingle could come from any of the devices that are connected (TV, satellite receiver, Freeview receiver) that are double insulated and have no separate earth. This is something I have long thought to be bordering on the dangerous but the devices meet European regulations so, hey, they must be OK!

I know it's a silly question but if you connect the TV aerial fee directly to the decoder (somehow!) does this give a good signal? I wonder whether the aerial is faulty or even pointing slightly off direction?

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
Well... As I was writing the original post, I thought I could try isolating the ariel from the earth, so 10 mins and some clingfilm later, there is no longer a buzz.

I tried a different ariel too, albeit a cheap one and it made no difference. As it's such a sunny day, I think I'll sit on the roof and try the direct feed again. It's nicely in the 20s and I think my pale english body would enjoy a bit of sun :)

Nothing so far has made much of a difference. I've asked neighbours how their reception is and they all say fine. Theres a handy tree about half a mile away that everone is pointed to give or take a degree or 2, so the alignment should be fine....

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
Unbelievable.... Looks like not 1 but 2 splitters behaving badly! Lucky Melksham sent me 4!
Panic over all sorted. Thanks for being a sounding board! Sometimes it's easier to see something explaining it to others even if there's no reply, which in this case there was anyway!!