Is a licence needed for TV on a mobile?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Now that's a question and a half...

Let's see what answers I get before I explain the Television Licensing Authority (TLA) answer

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I saw the piece on Sky news the other day, so I know. :D

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I wouldn't worry about anything TVL say! ;)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
i would imagine, the answers is yes..... but they would have trouble catching you :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Statutory Instrument 2004 N0 692

Any device that can receive 'live' TV pictures, whether or not originally designed or intended to do so, must be covered by a licence.

When is 'live' then? If the pictures are delayed - digital, satellite or for censorship purposes - is it OK to watch them without a licence?

Sounds like NO - if the device is 'capable' you need a licence!

So if your sitting at work and log onto the BBC web site to watch the news you better make sure your company has a TV licence even if it doesn't have a TV!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Yes!

Receiving any "UK originated" broadcast tv channels requires a tv license, regardless of the equipment used (whether tv set, computer, mobile phone, or whatever else; note that Internet Cafes also require a tv license!).

In theory, recieivng only non-UK broadcast tv in the UK doesn't require a tv license, eg only German channels on Astra1, but just try proving that you never watch any British channels!

(TV detection equipment can tell which analogue channel or digital mux you're watching, by picking up local oscillator frequencies. And, no doubt, details of all mobile phone tv reception will be sent straight to tv licensing!).

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Id have thought there was an argument for the "operates on an internal battery" rule and are therefore exempt as you are covered by your house licence.

Quite why anyone would want to watch tv on a 2" square low res screen baffles me :D

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
spiney said:
In theory, recieivng only non-UK broadcast tv in the UK doesn't require a tv license, eg only German channels on Astra1, but just try proving that you never watch any British channels!

They changed that one (very quietly as well - I guess they wanted to catch people out!?).

The thing is, if people didn't talk to them then they wouldn't catch people out. And they change the rules as they go along.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Skip Channel said:
They changed that one (very quietly as well - I guess they wanted to catch people out!?).

The thing is, if people didn't talk to them then they wouldn't catch people out. And they change the rules as they go along.

Fair enough, but can you provide any supporting reference for that?

But yes, they certainly do change the rules as they go along! According to statutes, a "television receiver" has no particular definition, and hence is whatever the Secretary of State says it is, at any particular time!

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I can't provide any supporting reference for that (do we have a lawyer here?! :) ) but the good folks over at BBC Resistance can: hxxp://xxx.tvlicensing.biz/

I can assure you that it's true though as I did read the info from the horse's mouth - as it were.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
OK, Skip, you're right and I'm wrong!

So, a tv license is now needed - in uk - to watch any broadcast tv at all, whether or not "UK originated"!

Sorry folks, but the law's been changed since I last looked. Apologies due if I misled anyone!

Both www.tvlicensing.co.uk (tv licensing authority) and www.tvlicensing.biz (anti license-fee campaign) cite the 2003 Communications Act (a more specific reference would be helpful!).

(added; the specific reference is here, but just try understanding it!
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/30021--l.htm#363 ).

While accepting that many people do "cheat", nevertheless the tv licensing organisation can be aggressive and very nasty. Imprisoning poor single mothers for having no tv license is rather despicable, in my opinion. There's a very good case for downgrading this from a criminal to a civil offence.

(PS, if we want decent tv, then public service broadcasting needs financially supporting, somehow! But, that doesn't mean everything the BBC does is necessarily "the best way").

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
Does this mean I need a license, even if I never use my mobile to watch tv (although my network offers the service and my mobile is certainly capable?)

Graham7

Reaction score
My Location
Some were on the internet
_stu_ said:
Does this mean I need a license, even if I never use my mobile to watch tv (although my network offers the service and my mobile is certainly capable?)
I have hear that if you have got a TV and if you did not have it on at all you still need one as it still can received. So I think it might be the same this is does what I heard and might be wrong.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Graham7 said:
I have hear that if you have got a TV and if you did not have it on at all you still need one as it still can received. So I think it might be the same this is does what I heard and might be wrong.

You heard wrong. If you have a TV and no longer use it you are not legally required to pay the fee. Some TVL door-to-door salesmen may tell people otherwise.

Many people use a TV set to watch pre-recorded video, play videogames, view CCTV and even to use a satellite receiver for radio-only reception (you've got to be able to see the set-up menus to set it up!) - all legally.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Skip Channel said:
Many people use a TV set to watch pre-recorded video, play videogames, view CCTV and even to use a satellite receiver for radio-only reception (you've got to be able to see the set-up menus to set it up!) - all legally.

Think you'll find if the TV has a tuner it will require a license - even if you choose not to use it to watch TV.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
It's equipment use - not just posession - that determines whether you need a tv license (that's why they have to "detect" you watching a broadcast channel!).

For mobiles, broadcast tv channel reception would be covered by your existing home address tv license, just so long as you have one ......

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
gameboy said:
Think you'll find if the TV has a tuner it will require a license - even if you choose not to use it to watch TV.

Ask TVL themselves and you'll get confirmation of what I said. Make sure you ask them in writing/email (the door-to-door salesmen and a call centre aren't reliable sources). IIRC they recommend de-tuning the TV and disconnecting the aerial connection.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
spiney said:
For mobiles, broadcast tv channel reception would be covered by your existing home address tv license, just so long as you have one ......

How does that work?

If I go into hospital and take your mini TV who has to have a license?

If I take MY TV round to watch at a mates (who doesn't have a license) can I say I'm using my license to watch my TV?

Students away from home? Watching on a laptop, phone etc at an Airport or hotel again who's problem is it?

All very confusing...

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
A mobile phone is registered to you, and therefore covered by the tv license at your "home address" (assuming you have one).

But, receiving broadcast tv at an unlicensed premises is illegal.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
about 12years ago, at another house we lived a rather smug fellow came knocking on the door saying we hadn't got a tv licence and that as he needed to check we didn't have a telly (i was out work at the time), anyway the telly was on, the guy began to give the wife a lecture about law breaking as he began filling in some form,(he must love his job) so the wife let him carry on and then at the end played all dum, went to the drawer produced the licence and said "Oh is this what you mean (it turned out there records were wrong) and the man oppologised thro gritted teeth and went away with tail between his leg's({}) :D