Is it a Time BOMB in Echostar 3000ip?

JoeB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3000ip, 1M dish 0.3 LNB, modules: Ice Blue, Red Via & Sega
Hi all,
I have Echostar3000 ip that stopped working & only clicking since last week, what is strange 2 other friends of mine that had same receiver, developed similar fault!
I cant find any repair center in UK that know how 2 fix this fault. some 1 said it is c16-2200uf 10v). Please advice me if you know how 2 fix it or a repair center in UK.
Best regards.:-ohmy
Joe

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands

JoeB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
spiney said:
echostar website is www.echostar-int.com , this gives phone/address for UK service centre
Cheers Spiney,
I did contac them yesterday but they have only address for Office The Netherlands
& Spain!

I send an e mail asking 4 advice but all what I got is:
"Your message has been forwarded to our service center and distributor in the
UK and Ireland: Eurosat London Ltd."
Any 1 knows if some 1 can repair this fault?
Thanx

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
what i meant is, the website has the phone no and addr for Eurosat London, you can call them direct!

Otherwise, if that capacitor is the known problem, you can try replacing it, that type easily available in electronics shops.

I know nothing about Echostar, but from symptoms sounds like switched mode supply not starting up, in which case dangerous area! 10v seems ridiculously low figure, sounds like mistake to me, obviously not mains rectifying capacitor, and even the smp control circuitry should have higher ratings. Be careful!

you could try disconnecting lnb, and position sensors, to reduce current demand, if receiver starts up like that, then yes it's the power supply.

JoeB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thanx Spiney,
I found the contact number & called them. I will take the box 2 them & see but they estimated £50-80 for fixing it!
It is better than getting yet a cheap box anyway.
I tried dissconecting it but still not starting up.
most likley the fault is in a capacitor as they dry by the heat generated & no colling fan. thanx a lot 4 ur advice.
Greetings

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Its unlikely to be just one capacitor, once one goes, most aroud it are on their way out

£50 sounds reasonable if they are shipping it back in the price, £80 is a bit expensive

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
On my Echo I have a little fan in front of the C.I. slots , that I bought from Maplin. Everything gets hot if there are a couple of CAMS in there.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I know nothing about Echostar, but from symptoms sounds like switched mode supply not starting up, in which case dangerous area! 10v seems ridiculously low figure, sounds like mistake to me, obviously not mains rectifying capacitor, and even the smp control circuitry should have higher ratings. Be careful!

There's usually several low voltage electrolytic capacitors in the secondary side of an SMPS. In the 3000ip, there's about a dozen.

C16 in the Echostar smooths the main 5V supply. Any problem here could shut down the power supply. Replace that one first, but it's probably best to do them all while you're at it.

This is where an ESR meter comes in handy. Wouldn't be without one myself, as you can check electrolytics in-circuit for faults. Saved me time and effort many times over.

Llew

JoeB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Llew said:
There's usually several low voltage electrolytic capacitors in the secondary side of an SMPS. In the 3000ip, there's about a dozen.

C16 in the Echostar smooths the main 5V supply. Any problem here could shut down the power supply. Replace that one first, but it's probably best to do them all while you're at it.

This is where an ESR meter comes in handy. Wouldn't be without one myself, as you can check electrolytics in-circuit for faults. Saved me time and effort many times over.

Llew
Thanx Llew 4 the advice ...but wher can I get these capacitors? Maplin or some other electronic catalouges?
Can U explain further pls?
Regards
Joe

les74

Reaction score
Remember also that capacitors are polarity sensitive neg/pos marked,Maplins might have what you want,but be careful you can soon make matters worse for yourself,or the person who ends up repairing it for you.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
JoeB said:
Thanx Llew 4 the advice ...but wher can I get these capacitors? Maplin or some other electronic catalouges?
Can U explain further pls?
Regards
Joe

If you or anyone other than a repair shop are considering having a go, and bearing in mind that it isn't necessarily a faulty capacitor (could be a voltage regulator, diodes or indeed anything after the power supply), it's pretty crowded with components around the area of C16.

You'll need a solder wick to remove the solder from the components. Don't try and lug the capacitor(s) out without removing all traces of solder first, although it not being a plated-through board definitely helps.

Grandata.co.uk have the C16 value, but only in multiple packs (£2.10 for 10). Other values can be obtained from there or Maplin's. Always use high- temperature (105 deg.C) capacitors in the SMPS.

I must stress again that it could be any other component, and you do any work at your own risk.

Llew

Mellos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD 3000ip
My Location
Devon UK
Help Wanted Resistor R17 burnt out and SWPS not working system overheat in present heatwave. What is R17 value & rating?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
R17 is 1Kilohm. Whatever the reason for its demise, it's probably taken Q4 and/or Q5 with it. If you need some voltage checks around this area, I can provide them.

Llew

Mellos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD 3000ip
My Location
Devon UK
Thanks Llew for info would appreciate voltage checks

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ok will do. Rating looks like 0.6W metal film, wouldn't need anything larger.

You'll be checking voltages in the relative safety of the PSU's secondary side, earthed to chassis; keep away from the primary components unless you know what you are doing!

Llew

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
The capacitors dry out because the internal temperature is quite high, since i bought mine new years back, i added an 4" computer grade fan over the PSU side, and added on the memory chip and cpu an aluminium heatsink from an computer chip, this with the added flow of ait from the fan keeps the chips cool.

Once a year i clean out the cabinet of dust.

Kept it ticking for 5 years + and hopefully will keep ticking for some time to come :D

Cor

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Mellos -

The accompanying schematic shows the voltages I have with a working STB.
Expect a difference of +/- 1 or 2% when comparing readings.

Voltages in brackets are those when the STB is in standby (PCS line CN2/6).