Paul, what I am getting at is both have 2.7m antennas. The antenna can be distorted a bit to make the footprint tall and narrow, or short and wide, or even turn a circle into a square, etc, but it can't change the gain of the antenna. Only an increase in antenna size can increase the gain, and hence make the beam more concentrated.PaulR said:My own personal opinion is that 2F's spot beam will, in order to serve the UK properly, extend into Europe at a high signal strength for quite way. But, and this the point, it won't go as far as 1N's does.
Huevos said:Paul, what I am getting at is both have 2.7m antennas. The antenna can be distorted a bit to make the footprint tall and narrow, or short and wide, or even turn a circle into a square, etc, but it can't change the gain of the antenna. Only an increase in antenna size can increase the gain, and hence make the beam more concentrated.
Yes, I saw it too. But I think what is being confused is beam shaping and gain. When the guy changed the shape of the beam the area stayed the same, it's just the pattern of illumination that changed.Analoguesat said:There was a very interesting programme on the BBC a few months ago which showed 2E & 2F in the factory - they showed how the computer simulations of the beam shaping work in a short clip, and the beam shapes changed radically with a few clicks of the mouse