Advice Needed Is satellite reception possible in Innsbruck, Austria?

jonfr

Reaction score
Website
www.jonfr.com
My Satellite Setup
Clarke-Tech 3100 Plus. Dish 65 cm 1W.
My Location
Padborg, Denmark
I have been trying to find this information since it is possible that I might move to a town named Innsbruck in Austria. The town is in a deep alley between some high mountains (Hafelekar, 2,334 metres in the south).

While I do not know for sure if I am going to move to this town it is located high on my list at the moment. I want if possible to continue to get satellite signal since I do not have any interest in

What I plan on trying is to get signal from this satellites.

1: 19.2E
2: 0.8W
3: 9E
4: 13E (maybe)

Wiki information on the town. _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innsbruck

Thanks for the help.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try dishpointer.com - it suggests 13E is ~35 degrees above the horizon so unless your house is tucked up at the base of the southern hills or at the bottom of a high cliff you should stand a reasonable chance.

Use google earth / google maps to have a wander around the city and see how many satellite dishes you can see :D

jonfr

Reaction score
Website
www.jonfr.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Padborg, Denmark
When I finally get there (it is going to take me a while for me. But I always plan well in advance to prevent surprises) I am going to find a house far from the south side of the mountain as possible to be sure to get a satellite signal. At the moment I don't have a location since my plan is just not that advanced yet.

There is no Google Street-view in Austria so I can't use that. I don't see many dishes on pictures for some reason. I just found one with the size of 65cm on a rooftop (Google Maps link, might not work http://tinyurl.com/nqhsrbw), so getting signal is clearly possible in this area. As for the mountain I don't think they are a lot above 10 degrees above the horizon. With the exception of few peaks.

I plan on using at least 85 cm and up to 150 cm when the time comes.

Thanks for the help.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Lovely place to live, an interesting flight in and out via the mountain corridor. :) Also if you're into Skiing, a short car or train trip up to the mountain, with Skiing all year on the glaciers.

jonfr

Reaction score
Website
www.jonfr.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Padborg, Denmark
Yes, it looks good. While I am not going to go skiing I do plan to write (my main work is an writer) along with tracking volcano activity in Iceland and earthquakes in the Alps.