is there anyway to find sat without meter ?

DalMaca

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DVB
My Location
UK
i basikly ask this question because i have been playing about with a spare dish i have.

the only problem i have is the only kind of signal indication i have is my STB and thats only looking for the strength of the signal of the freq / channel its on EG BBC 1 signal = 13% no matter if im fixed to another sat or not.

what im asking is can i find another sat (anything will do for now) without using a meter if so how ? lol

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes of course it is. Ive been hunting various satellites for 10 years and never owned a meter. The easiest way is to get an old portable tv and a cheap or old receiver that doesnt matter if it gets a bit battered & connect it up outside so you can see exactly what you are doing.

DONT try this unless the weather is good!!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well, you have not said what receiver you have. But normally, it is possible to use the receiver itself. You put the appropriate transpopnder from the satellite you want and monitor signal strength and quality whilst adjusting the dish. When you get a sig quality reading that is above what is required, performaing a scan of the transponder will give you some channels. If the channels match what lyngsat says for that tranponder for that satellite, you have the correct one, you may want to then try and maximise the sig quality reading.

Yes, not a good idea if its raining though, unless you have a big umbrella to put over the TV and the receiver.;)

DalMaca

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DVB
My Location
UK
well this is along the lines of what ive tried already (as i can see the tv from where the dish is)

but maybe im just being a bit thick but my own STb only seems to let you have a signal meter on a specific sat Eg... i have to set it to Astra28east then roam the dish till it get signal. what im not sure of is if its set to Astra28east and im hunting around and find another sat up there will my box recognize thats theres a sat there or will the strength stay low as its not the Astra28east its meant to be looking for?

i hope this makes sence to any other than myself lol

*edit*

Sorry the box im using to do this is a old SL65 12v thing (from maplins)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi, yes as the satellites share the same frequencies, the signal indication will show for a received signal as you sweep just like a squawker needle meter would.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
DalMaca said:
Sorry the box im using to do this is a old SL65 12v thing (from maplins)

Pretty sure there's a member on here who uses one of those for your purpose, so yes, it will work fine.

The way to tell one satellite from another is to do a scan, and see what channels you get, and compare with Lyngsat, as said before. kingofsat is good too as you can search for a channel by name.

DalMaca

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DVB
My Location
UK
ive been hunting for hours now and ive not found one,

i think i should invest in a meter or im doing something wrong :-(

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
For an normal offset dish in the UK, the face of the dish will be more or less vertical by eye.

Many people fail to take account of the offset and try pointing the dish 22 or so degrees up into the air ..............

Try Dishpointer _http://www.dishpointer.com/ to get a good idea of where to point it.