Is this a reasonable idea for motorised system?

humphrey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Potential buyer
My Location
Plymouth UK
Hi all,

I have not had a satellite system before and after reaiding numerous posts I came up with this:

Gibettini 1m dish
Moteck SG2100A
LNB (to be decided can anyone advise me I've read of a C120 type but don't know if it's mandatory)

Cable run is 42m
Locatation is 50.2 degs N
Receiver (already bought) is a seconhand Dreambox 500S clone (blackbox)

I would have liked to have tried to get Nilesat and the concensus is such that a min 1.2m dish is needed at my location. What I am concerned about this size though is that it could be overpoweringly large in my small garden. I get this feeling that, for a novice it would be a case of a "I hadn't realised it would be so big" realisation. The cost goes up quite a bit from 1.0>1.2m too doesn't it?

And then I'm wondering if a diseq motor would be adequate (differing opinions in the forums). So in the end I'm not sure I want to take the financial risk for a 1.2m yet (unless someone would like to change my mind! Please feel free).

Either way I would be pole mounting it toward the top of my garage wall which is sited at the back of my house (northside) and pointing it over my hip-roofed semi (which is parallel with the garage and both front elevations face south). The top ridge of the roof is an estd 8m and the dish would be mounted about 18m behind it (giving an elevation of 21 degs to the roof's peak).

Do you think I can get a workable & decent system with a 1m behind my house under the conditions described?

All the best,

Humphrey

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi humphrey,

Should do well with motorising a Gibertini 1m although an LNBF would be more suitable for this dish. They do manufacture a feedhorn for the Gibertini although I think it's only suitable for the 125cm/150cm.

If your not in an exposed location then a DiSEqC motor will suit, failing that a polar mount and jack which is available for this dish.

There are of course other dish types to consider :)

humphrey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Potential buyer
My Location
Plymouth UK
Thanks for your reply.

That's interesting. I am pretty green on LNBs. Is a LNBF an all in one alternative to a seprate feedhorn and LNB? What are it's main advantages please & why are they better suited to the Gibertini dish?

It was suggested I try an ICECRYPT 0.1db Universal Single LNB from the supplier of the Gibertini. Is it a LNBF? Or can you suggest a make/model please?

"There are of course other dish types to consider "

Could you elaborate on this?

Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes the Icecrypt is an LNBF design with integral feedhorn. C120 LNb's and feedhorns can be used for better matching and lower S/N ratio. As said, i'm not sure you'd gain anything using Gibertini feedhorn on a 100cm. Plenty other dish manufactures to consider as mentioned.