Is Worldspace.on Afristar1 21.5 East in Lband,complete swtiched off?

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
yesterday i make some test,on afristar with my worldspace receiver,but i dont get any signal!
in the past i read that _worlspace.com is out of money,but i dont get confirmed that is swtiched off!
when i look to the homepage now iam not sure,maybe this satellite getting weaker and weaker,in past i also read reports,that europeans will lunch there own programms in this freqency range,but still nothing,does anyone know more?
i know worlspace is pay radio now,but i wondering why i have no signal with normal worlspace antenna,in past it works good also,behind a glass window,but now,nothing!

how it looks in other part of the world usa and india,is there wordspace still active?
also some fta channels there?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its probably been switched off - Worldspace is bankrupt and all assets including the sats are up for sale:

_http://rapidtvnews.com/index.php/200901152938/worldspace-satellites-on-sales-block.html

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
This was posted on the Media Network weblog this afternoon:

WorldSpace has been unable to negotiate an extension to the building lease supporting our Broadcast Operations Center (BOC) in Toulouse, France. We have identified an alternate hosting facility a short distance away and are in the process of making appropriate move arrangements.
In order to properly dismantle, transport and reassemble the BOC equipment, WorldSpace Satellite Radio channels that uplink from the current Toulouse facility will be off the air beginning January 12, 2009 at 0800 UTC for an estimated seven to 10 days. We expect to have these channels back on air no later than January 21 at 2000 UTC.
The channels are:
NPR
BBC-World
RFI-1
RMC-MO
Radio Esperance

While a service interruption for this maintenance is unavoidable, we will do our best to keep the time frame to a minimum so you will be able to enjoy listening to your favorite programming as soon as possible.

However its all academic seeing as Worldspace are completely bankrupt and the satellites are up for sale..

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
Thank your for this intresting details!
what is the medianetwork,i dont know this site!?

does this only affect the european worlspace,or worldspace world wide?
there are also wordspace in usa india etc!

also i heard in the past,that europeans plans,to start,there own,wordspace sercice in lband!
but nothing happens in this direction!

emotland

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo2.
My Location
Norway
I guess this affects every Worldspace operation, not only Afristar.

I wonder if any operator may be interested in getting some of the birds or equipment. The frequency band used is different to other traditional satellite operations like Eutelsat and SES-Astra.

Afristar has been in operation since the late 90s, and I remember the good days of Afristar reception back in 2001/2002 - before the service went subscription-based. :)

Anyone who knows more about how the European Ondamedia satellite subsription service is going? Worldspace was part of this venture.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Turok said:
Thank your for this intresting details!
what is the medianetwork,i dont know this site!?

_http://blogs.rnw.nl/medianetwork/

Useful site for worldwide broadcast news.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
Hello!
the low lband frqency,makes it posible,to receive this singal,also far away from africa,normal it was only for the black continent,but,i also got the african beam here,with large antenas

i think ondamedia,has never lunched,the plan this in the past,to make there own european service,but then you here nothing anymore about this!
wordlspace was also good in rgion far away from civilisation,in the desert,or where ever,to get a free 128 kb data stream,with special worlspace software,and datamodem,plug behind into the radio,then people,could watch,also some websites,far away from gsm coverage ,the only need free view to the sky!