It'll NEVER work!!!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
swanyl said:
yeah but not a bay window and there is the other side of the flats that are right there so there is no chance of getting any signals

Ah, well, I'm sure you have plenty of TV to watch... :D

If I get the house I have found for rent I'll be leaving most of the Western sats in favour of the eastern as the house is on the other side of the street I'm on and it's a back-to-back house like my current one, and has a garden!!! :D

swanyl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Metronic Calysta, With Touchbox 3
My Location
Edinburgh
2cvbloke said:
Ah, well, I'm sure you have plenty of TV to watch... :D

If I get the house I have found for rent I'll be leaving most of the Western sats in favour of the eastern as the house is on the other side of the street I'm on and it's a back-to-back house like my current one, and has a garden!!! :D

yeah i have so many channels now :)
i am still missing a few transponders on the sky sats tho and the ones i do have seem to be at different frequencies than websites like digitalsat.co.uk say..... its probably my window

swanyl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Edinburgh
how much further to the right are the hotbird channels?
the post that said the astra 2a were to the left and up a bit were dead on and i found the astra 2 sats very easily :)
i think i'll try and get hotbird now

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
swanyl said:
how much further to the right are the hotbird channels?
the post that said the astra 2a were to the left and up a bit were dead on and i found the astra 2 sats very easily :)
i think i'll try and get hotbird now

It's 6 degrees to the right of Astra 1 and UP a little bit (looking from the back of the dish), not that difficult to find, just pick a strong transponder (I haven't a clue which one!!!) and have a go... :)

Also, windows can sometimes block certain frequencies and/or polarities, it all depends on what's in the glass and whether it's double glazing or not... :)

swanyl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Edinburgh
2cvbloke said:
It's 6 degrees to the right of Astra 1 and down a little bit (looking from the back of the dish), not that difficult to find, just pick a strong transponder (I haven't a clue which one!!!) and have a go... :)

Also, windows can sometimes block certain frequencies and/or polarities, it all depends on what's in the glass and whether it's double glazing or not... :)

its certainly single glazing :p gets VERY cold in the winter :)
i'll keep on trying... i'm sure i must be able to get it....
anything further east than astra 2 sats worth trying to get?
(my local pub has some polish channels that regularly show football that is usually on sky (wont say which pub as i'm sure it isn't legal :p)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
swanyl said:
i'll keep on trying... i'm sure i must be able to get it....
anything further east than astra 2 sats worth trying to get?
(my local pub has some polish channels that regularly show football that is usually on sky (wont say which pub as i'm sure it isn't legal :p)

I know what you mean with the Single glazing!!! :D

There is 45E with Discovery Channel possibly FTA (Spain & Portugal), but I had a look with my Porty dish but I couldn't find an FTA Discovery channel (could have been my dish though), there were plenty of encrypted (In powerVu no less) Discovery's though...

swanyl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Edinburgh
why would all the frequencies of the channels be the same as what is on lyngsat but where as it would say it should be verticle but on my box it is horizontal :S
is it just the case that my lnb is the wrong way round?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
swanyl said:
why would all the frequencies of the channels be the same as what is on lyngsat but where as it would say it should be verticle but on my box it is horizontal :S
is it just the case that my lnb is the wrong way round?

Looking at your dish pic, your LNB is the wrong way, just twist it so the cable hangs downwards or if space below it tight twist it so the cable points upwards... :)

Also make sure you have a decent skew setting, so the cable is pointing at about 7:30 (or 1:30 if the LNB is upside down) in Clock face terms, this should be adjusted to get the best signal quality, but the setting I suggest is usually OK....

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
I don't want to get too technical but the bin and the speaker together just might get more...:)
Keep up the good work I love to see things bodged together

streetlighter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin V+HD XL Technomate 6800 Astra+Hotbird FTA on 60 cm dish
My Location
Cheshire
So would an inside dish work through K glass double glazing ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
streetlighter said:
So would an inside dish work through K glass double glazing ?

Depends on what fancy coatings the glass has, best thing to do is try a minidish indoors, if you recieve jack-all, then it's not possible, if you recieve some channels (say, Horizontal only) then the glass is affecting the signals, a bigger dish may help, but if you recieve all channels, go get a bigger dish and have fun... :D

swanyl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Edinburgh
2cvbloke said:
Looking at your dish pic, your LNB is the wrong way, just twist it so the cable hangs downwards or if space below it tight twist it so the cable points upwards... :)

Also make sure you have a decent skew setting, so the cable is pointing at about 7:30 (or 1:30 if the LNB is upside down) in Clock face terms, this should be adjusted to get the best signal quality, but the setting I suggest is usually OK....

wow my signal quality has jumped by about 10% :)
i had just kinda thrown the lnb on there not really thinking
still havent been able to pick up the hot bird sats will try moving the sat to side on and see if i can get the angle that way :)

arfster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD88 dish w/ 4 LNBs (13E, 19E, 23.5E, 28E), Skystar2 2.6 with March beta drivers, Vista, DVBViewer.
My Location
Edinburgh
swanyl said:

Strange thing is, double glazing doesn't actually make that much difference to insulation. You can get half the benefits just by draughtproofing around the edges of the window (and Edinburgh sash n case windows are usually really badly draughtproofed in most rental flats), for maybe ten times less cost.

Anyway, you got me curious, I'm sure I recognise the outside of your street :-)