ITV On-Demand on Freesat

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
After announcing a beta-trial, UK broadcaster ITV just revealed that their online video-on-demand service, ITV Player, is now available on Freesat to all viewers with a Humax Foxsat HD box. Viewers can now access ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, and ITV4 directly through the electronic programming guide (EPG). In the future, viewers will simply need a broadband connection and any Freesat boxes to access the service.

Managing director of ITV, Robin Pembrooke said “It's another important step in our mission to give audiences access to our content when and where they choose to view it whilst improving the underlying technology and user experience across the board.”

ITV Player was launched in 2008. The service was added to BT Vision's TV Replay in the same year, with plans for it to be made available on PlayStation 3 on the PlayStation Network. The company's move to make their on-demand service available on Freesat follows the addition of BBC's iPlayer and full Red Button service to Freesat boxes, which happened last year and early this year.

“The launch of ITV Player on Freesat is another important landmark for us. It's fantastic that we can now offer viewers the two biggest catch-up TV services, direct to their TVs,” said Emma Scott, Freesat MD. “This is a further example of innovation that focuses on adding value to the viewer—making it easier to find and enjoy the TV they love, for free. Whether it be catching up on the events in Weatherfield of following the Rugby World Cup, Freesat customers can now enjoy the best of ITV schedules, whenever they want.”

Freesat, the joint venture between ITV and BBC was designed as a satellite alternative to Freeview on digital terrestrial TV. It currently has 1.5 million customers across the UK, and 1,000 hours of programmes covering the past seven days.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Rachel_Sandford said:
Freesat, the joint venture between ITV and BBC was designed as a satellite alternative to Freeview on digital terrestrial TV. It currently has 1.5 million customers across the UK, and 1,000 hours of programmes covering the past seven days.

I'm almost certain it's far more than 1.5million, since many have become Freesat users by lapsing their Sky subscription, and/or buying a Freesat TV to plug in to an existing installation.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Channel Hopper said:
many have become Freesat users by lapsing their Sky subscription,
Those would be Freesat from $ly customers and probably not included for that reason.

And I don't see how Freesat could have
Rachel_Sandford said:
1,000 hours of programmes covering the past seven days.