ITV Set to Test 6PM News

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
A spokesman for the commercial broadcaster, ITV, recently gave a statement saying: “Michael Jermey, ITV director of news, current affairs and sport, today updated staff on ITV's ongoing news review, which is looking at all areas of ITVs journalism in order to further strengthen the broadcast and digital news operation.”

The spokesman was referring to the staff letter Jermey sent, informing employees which revealed that ITV is planning “to test the idea” of having a 6pm integrated news programme by running “some off-air pilots.” ITV's current news schedule runs regional news at 6pm on ITV1, then half an hour later, national and international news on ITV News. The schedule was established years ago when regions where “slimmed down” and now it seems the broadcaster would like to integrate the early evening regional news and national news bulletins, fitting everything into a one-hour news programme.

Since the broadcaster will need the approval of media regulatory board, Ofcom, they are currently trialling their proposed show before making a formal application. “We'll be looking at overall structure of the hour, including timings, durations and handovers,” said Jermey. “The pilot programmes will then be reviewed so that we can decide on the best way forward for ITV news.”

Though nothing has been finalized, it seems ITV is following the proposal of business consulting firm, McKinsey, and is slowly merging its three news units, ITV News, ITV Regional News, and Daybreak. This merge will help the company reduce costs, something they ought to do since its current regional news service isn't financially viable.

During a Lord's communications committee hearing, Adam Crozier, ITV's chief executive, suggested that if they were freed from the contract rights renewal (CRR) system, that regional programming could benefit. The system was set in place in order to prevent ITV from abusing its market position.

“Certainly we would put programming right at the top [of areas that would benefit from CRR being scrapped]. ITV has regionality at its heart.”

Having a 6pm news programme on ITV would directly challenge BBC1's 6pm news programme, which runs national, international, then regional news. This is especially true if ITV's format puts regional news at the end of the hour. ITV already competes with BBC for the 10pm slot, which ITV routinely loses, so the Beeb may have little to worry about if ITV succeeds in changing its news lineup.

Apart from changes in news schedule, Jermey also informed staff that formal talks with ITN about renewing its contract beyond the end of the year. ITV currently owns 40% of ITN, and there are rumors that it may buy the remaining percentage from Daily Mail and General Trust, Reuters and United Business Media. Naturally such a move will need Ofcom's approval. ITV had recently bought out GMTV and re-launched its breakfast programme, Daybreak, and the launch did not go as expected, only attracting half the audience of BBC Breakfast.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Rachel_Sandford said:
“Certainly we would put programming right at the top [of areas that would benefit from CRR being scrapped]. ITV has regionality at its heart.”

Cobblers - ITV lost all interest in the regions years ago.

For example - my area - Border - exists as little more than a legal entity now.

All playout has been done from Leeds for years, the Carlisle studios were knocked down last year, our local news comes from Gateshead, and now they are talking of handing over the south of Scotland transmitter network (Selkirk & its dozen or so relays) to STV in 2014.

Where is the regional interest in THAT??

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I'm sure Alex Salmond knows the answer to that- it's probably part of his master plan.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Analoguesat said:
Where is the regional interest in THAT??

What made me laugh about regionalisation was that my dad was telling me that when they watch ITV HD, they get Granada's adverts (including one for Boundary eyesore Mill out the back of here), and they're meant to be in the Tyne Tees region... :confused

I think the BBC is more regional these days, ITV has merged their franchises so many times that they should not be called Independent TeleVision, because they're pretty much just a single entity now, rather than independent local studios sharing the odd set of programmes here and there, it's all the same rubbish across the board... :-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Our official ITV1 +1 region is Granada - so the +1 local news is only local if you live about 200 miles away. Its absolutely nuts.

All the fta boxes are set to give me the news from Central (home) :D