chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
ITV has apologised after Formula 1 commentator Martin Brundle used the word "pikey" during a broadcast.

Brundle was interviewing F1 head Bernie Ecclestone live before the start of the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.

The pair were talking over the weekend about Saturday afternoon's qualifying round, in which pieces of tarmac from the Gilles Villeneuve track began crumbling.

Brundle joked: "There are some pikeys there at turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?"

Asked about complaints, an ITV spokesman said that a "small number" of calls had been received about the incident.

He said: "We apologise for any offence."

A spokesman for the Equality and Human Rights Commission told the Daily Mail: "This word has been used on television in the past and is highly derogatory."

Source: The Press Association

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2

ROFLMAO!

Someone needs to get a sense of humour... :-thumb1

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, thought it was supposed to be derogatory, they seem to be pointing out the obvious. :-rofl2

mick32

Reaction score
My Location
Newcastle
Couldnt have been pikeys that laid it,,,it lasted all the race and there was no rubbish left on the corner after they left:-rofl2

skippydoo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 Clone + Ferrari Card
1m Funke dish + H2H
Pace $ly dodgybox
Home brew PC Core2Quad 2.4
Windoze 7 64bit Ultimate
My Location
Wildest Wilts, UK
James May uses the same term on almost every episode of Top Gear, and the BBC have never said sorry to the pikeys... :toke:

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
mick32 said:
Couldnt have been pikeys that laid it,,,it lasted all the race and there was no rubbish left on the corner after they left:-rofl2

Lol, not to speak of that usually when they do the driveway it didn't really need any work to it anyway...

Seriously, even though it is funny in a way I suppose one should not use terms like "Pikey", if it is indeed a word that causes offence to any specific group or race. Just because they (Travellers, Gypsies, whatever they are like to be called) are not really popular at the moment does not make it ok. Imagine if someone said "Ni***r" or used an antisemitic term or similar, that would have been quite a big deal (or taking part in a Nazi Orgy :p). I am not one for politically correctness going crazy, but there is probably a line that has to be drawn what is acceptable and what is not. A difficult matter though...I think it does not do any harm that they apologised anyway.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Woah, I think one can be over sensitive.

These guys are not Romany gypsies, but people who have decided to take up a lifestyle ignoring the normal responsibilities like paying taxes, respecting neighbours and not stealing. They set up sites wherever they want, trashing the land, then moving on, leaving the local residents to pay for the clear up. They are not a race, not a nationality, they live the lifestyle out of choice and nobody can tell me that I need to treat them with respect, when they refuse to reciprocate.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well you sure know more about then than me, but this is what Wikipedia says:

The historical origins of Travellers as a group has been a subject of great dispute. Some argue that Irish Travellers are descended from another nomadic people called the Tarish. It was once widely believed that Travellers were descended from landowners who were made homeless in Oliver Cromwell's military campaign in Ireland and in the 1840s famine. However, their origins may be more complex and difficult to ascertain because through their history the Travellers have left no written records of their own. The closest to a legend of origin known to exist describes the Travellers as descended from a tinsmith who helped build the cross on which Jesus Christ was crucified. According to this tale, Christ cursed the tinsmith's line to wander the earth until Judgment Day.[4]
Furthermore, not all families of the Travellers date back to the same point in time; some adopted Traveller customs centuries ago while others did so in more modern times yet all claim ancient origins regardless of noted assumption of the habits and customs. [5]
Dr. Sharon Gmelch, who has studied and written about the Travellers, states that the Dooley Clan is acknowledged by other Travellers as one of the "oldest families on the road." [6]. There are also many Irish people surnamed Dooley who are not Travellers.
Genetic studies indicate that the Roma of Eastern Europe are "isolates",[7] but Irish Travellers are sometimes considered to be derived from the general Irish population, as indicated by surnames. However, genetic studies by Miriam Murphy, David Croke, and other researchers identified certain genetic diseases common in the Irish Traveller population which are quite rare among the rest of the community, perhaps resulting from marriage only within the Traveller community, or suggesting descent from either a select group of Irish long ago or ancestors unrelated to the rest of the Irish population.[8]

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its political correctness gone mad. A couple of folks complained to Ofcon so they have to wade in and look like they are doing summat. Whats wrong with the term anyway - its no worse than the "gyppos" term we used to use for unwanted travellers

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
They don't do themselves any favours when it come to getting along with the settled community, their bad rep is mostly their own doing. I've seen the way some of them intimidate people, rob, make a mess, cause hassle, violence......They can come into a small town/village and take it over. But there are decent folk among them too.

It was only a joke, but a TV station like ITV should not be seen to encourage any kind racism, groupism or whatever you want to call it.

If it were a comment directed at Jews, Muslims, Blacks or anyone else, few people would see it as acceptable, why should it be any different for travellers.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, I'm not having that, they are not a race, they are not a religious group, they are not even a political group, they are simply people who have decided to live pretty much outside the law and tax system, not respecting the rights of other persons or their property, if it isn't chained down, they will have it. So in my opinion, if they are called derogatory names, they are mostly well deserved.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
rolfw said:
No, I'm not having that, they are not a race, they are not a religious group, they are not even a political group, they are simply people who have decided to live pretty much outside the law and tax system, not respecting the rights of other persons or their property, if it isn't chained down, they will have it. So in my opinion, if they are called derogatory names, they are mostly well deserved.
With respect, what difference does it make what binds any group together be it race, nationality, politics, religion, way of life or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the problems they cause. I just don't think any broadcaster should make it seem OK to ridicule any group, whether you agree with them or not.:) Edit: The broacaster that is.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It's not a case of agreeing with them or not, it isn't as if they have a different political or religious view, just that they have a disregard for pretty much anything which binds society together, laws, standards, respect for others and their possessions or paying taxes.

I really can't see what anyone's problem with this is, I'd love anyone to post who can tell me they've had a good Pikey tarmac job done.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
I'd love anyone to post who can tell me they've had a good Pikey tarmac job done.

I assume that is a no then as the last Pikey that did my drive used recycled tarmac and it is all breaking up and being trodden into our house. They are a collection of thieves and vagabonds and deserve all the bad press and comments they get. They are indefensible in my opinion, but then I do pay all my taxes and do not steal from under peoples noses.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I think the use of the word 'pikeys' in the context that Brundle did had nothing to do with travellers, although it was sloppy and probably would have offended the race stewards which done a sterling job.

As for travellers in general - I think the reputation is mostly a product of the said groups own actions, but by the same token not all travellers should be tarred with the same brush. A good question to ask is what is a 'traveller'?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
not all travellers should be tarred with the same brush

Was that an intentional pun Salty? :-rofl2

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
:D No, but I'll take the credit anyway.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Who are these people who get so offended they have the OFCOM number by the side of the phone?

supapete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PC running ME XP SUSE.Mac G4 running OS X. Multi media studio. 80cmdish. Standard sky dish with quad lnb. 2xgrundig, panasonic dsb 31&50 televes 7245 dragon cam. card loader & card.Moteck 2100A motor
My Location
anglesey
:)Hello, here we go again. Everywhere you go there's generally used and accepted colloquialisms that are never dreamed of in terms of offence. Everyone grows up with them and they become no more that figures of speech. It's hard to consciously take them out of natural dialogue. Having worked in colleges and universities I am now the world's authority on being interviewed by Marks and Spencer blouses with clipboards spewing acronyms designed to talk over you for sinning against something or other inocuously. I'm just not anything but a courtious considerate guy trying to do a job to the best of my ability. I find I get respect for being naturally myself. How the hell anyone in the public eye can carry on unscathed, politician; sports commentator; bishop, forum administrator, god only knows. I didn't even know what a "pikey" was let alone take offence. They've always been referred to as "*****'*" by everyone I know.:confused If a P.inC is being used as an offence, I reckon everyone knows about it. Common sense ? That ol' obsolete thing :) Anyway, I'll be writing in the strongest possible terms to the board for authentic animal colouring on the subject of pink pigs.;) Further, as a Baggies sufferer I'll be writing to the Watchdog for football team logo oversizing in public.;)

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Quite agree about the football logos thing... somebody (naming no names) has in his signature a huge Manchester United logo... i find it very offensive. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.