Jaeger silentgold H to H mount.

jamesjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6900HD Super, Echostar 3600, H to H Jaeger Mount, Triax TD 110 Dish.
My Location
Lancashire
Hi All,

I have been reading all the posts about setting up a dish for the last few days...and how you should have your motor set to your latitude and I was hoping for some input about my setup.

My motor elevation is set to 47dgs but my lat is 53.55 and on my Triax 110 the offset angle of my dish is 26dgs...my dish elevation is set at 44dgs on the right hand pointer side of the dish.

I am getting Sat's (not Nilesat) 45 east to 31.5 west at about 70 to 85% signal quality...now I am trying to decide if I should mark my settings, and higher the motor elevation to 53, and lower the dish elevation to see if I can improve the signal quality, I don't have the manual for the Jeager I set it up without a few years ago, and have been fine tuning the dish over the weekend, any thoughts please should I leave well alone.
Regards, James.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If you alter your motor elevation to 53 from 47 you will end up with only about 3 satellites that you could pick-up, as you will put your arc right off.

The confusion has arisen I think because some Diseqc motors, have Latitude on one side and Elevation on the other, and are maked accordingly. Where Latitude = 90 - elevation.

So if your motor is marked ELEVATION it needs to be set to (90-53.5) = 37 (36.5).

jamesjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Thanks M8 that as solved the mystery...my motor latitude is just about where it should be...although I could tweak a bit when I have nothing to do on a breeze-free sunny day.
Kind regards, James.

jamesjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Hi Robbo71,

Having looked at your calculation again, I am not sure it answers my question...my motor is not a Diseqc 1.2 but a 36 volt one...although I am using it with a G-box, I have attached a picture so you can see the mount.
Best Wishes, James.

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 96

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, I know your motor is not a Diseqc one. However your setting must be near correct, else you would not be tracking the arc as much as you are. Thus it must be the elevation you are setting. You can check whether it is correct with an angle finder if you have one. The angle from horizonal of the motor body should be (90-latitude) or elevation.

Attachments

• IMG_1318a.JPG
    IMG_1318a.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 71

jamesjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Thanks Robbo71 for your advice,

I am trying to set the angle of the dish or declination to get the best signal possible, and without a installation manual which doesn't help. If I take my latitude (53.55) from 90, it leaves 36.5 so I am even more confused...but I agree completely with you that it must be near spot on.

Could you comment on if I am correct that if the dish face is not set at the correct angle then I have not got the the optimum dish focus, and therefore not hitting the center of the arc on all sats, therefore moving the dish itself slightly ( not the mount) up or down could increase the signal through the arc.

Thanks for taking the time to explain things to me...it would appear I have set my dish up via luck and not skill...and understanding what I have done correctly could help me when I need to do it again.
Best wishes and thanks, James.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, that is correct. Assuming that the elevation is spot-on, then the dish declination is adjusted for best signal at nearest due south. Then sending the dish to say 42E and 30W for example, you can check whether it is on the arc there too. At the extremes, just gently tilt the dish up and down and see if there is any improvement. If there is, and assuming that it is set correctly for due south, it means that the arc is too steep or too shallow.

Have a look at the picture below:-

Attachments

• adjarcsr.gif
    adjarcsr.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 72

jamesjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Thanks for quick reply Robbo71, could you answer one more question if my dish declination or angle of dish was out by 10dgs, is possible for me to compensate for it on the mount elevation, and would I still be able to pick up 42E to 31,5W?
Cheers, James.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Ignoring the scale on the back of the dish completely. I am not sure I understand what you are saying. If the declination was out by 10 degrees, you would simply set it to the correct value, by measuring best signal quality.(assuming that the elevation was correct)

The elevation and declination do kind of complement eachother, but not compensate for eachother.
If the elevation were wrong, and the declination were set to get the best signal anywhere on the arc, then that will be the only place really that is on the arc.

To track the arc, both the elevation and the declination must be correct.

jamesjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Sorry no instructions and poor understanding as me thinking incorrect elevation could offset incorrect declination.
Thanks for all your help it is greatly appreciated, James.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
on those triax dishes the elevation scale is not accurate so its best to use a meter and get the best signal on 1west or whatever you due south satellite is and then tighten the bolts up

and as robbo says move to 42e or 30w and check the signal there and adjust if needed

i had one of them motors and once the elevation was set with an angle finder and dish tweaked on due south sat you was about on the arc

jamesjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Thank you for your advice Robbo71 and Wod, I have changed the angle of the dish turning the dish face more to-wards the sky while reducing the mount angle to compensate, this as increased the signal quality over the arc by about 10 to 15% so far. I was going to continue until the signal dropped so finding the peak but it started getting dark...but I think there is some adjustment left for me to try at a later date.
Thanks guys, james.

jamesjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Now getting 45e to 58w, better quality level across the arc, and was not losing weaker Sat's even in the high winds of the last few days. It is time to leave alone and mess with something else.
Best wishes, James.