Jerky picture with pentavision CI

ayaz

Reaction score
Hi

i am having problem with my pentavison CI pc dvb card. it has jerky picture on some channels with quite strong signal strenght. i need help from who is using this card.

regards

Ayaz

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Feb-01 AT 05:49 PM (GMT)[/font][p]Hello Ayaz,

Under what circumstances do you get a jerky picture, by jerky, do you mean freezing? Are you experiencing the problems when using a CAM in the CI interface?

I have the same model card and haven't had problems generally, but it is probably worth checking that the software version you are using is the latest, i think there were slight problems with the old version, the new version is 2.62a.

By the way, what spec is your PC?

Rolf

ayaz

Reaction score
Hi

i am using it with a 233mhz amd with 4mb vga (cirrus logic) &64 mb ram which is enough as the minimum recommended requirements. i have tested it with all the drivers including ver 2.62a.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hello Ayaz,

OK, so it's unlikely to be the software if your running the latest version. Have you noticed what polarisation the channels are on that give teh jerky performance? Try and ascertain if they are all on the same polarisation , even though the signal strength is showing as good, it may still be a signal problem.

If there seems to be no pattern to the problem, then it may possibly be that you are asking too much of your Graphics card, this particular application is fairly graphics intensive. Bear in mind that most current cards are now 64mb.

Rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Hi :)
I have the pentamedia ci card but always manage to get a perfect picture even on a week signal so long as the signal bar is hitting the green, ive never had it go into the blue unless the software was crashing or the signal was not being received properly from the cable coming from the satellite dish which only ever happened when i was fiddling with the dish due to high wind problems or something which now rarely causes me problems.
The card is NOT processor intensive so that shouldnt make much of a difference, it does most of the processing of data on the card itself i believe so doesnt have to rely too much on the pcs processor. Are you getting a constant blue signal right up to the top of the bar? if so then you are not receiving the signal correctly. The signal bar should usually move slightly down and up which i believe is showing the variation in signal strength you should be receiving, this can change due to atmospheric conditions etc. (ie rain- the elements)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hello Starman,

It now seems that we are not the only 2 people in the world with these cards.

Although the processor is not doing a lot of the work, the grapohics card will be doing a bit and at 4mb VGA it's an old one. I would make a bet that it's causing the problem because it can't handle the overlay.

Rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
i honestly cannot say if the graphics cards memory would make much of a difference rolf as im still pretty sure the card does not rely much on the pc setup (ie how much graphic card ram is available) anyone know any different? What i would say though is that since i bought my card months ago from pulsat.com the price has remained the same. i thought it would drop right down in price after my purchase which is what usually happens when i buy something :p

I recon the pentamedia CI card has excellent tv picture quality when scarted through a good video. Apart from the software hitches i think i made a good buy though its still probably a bit pricey. There are cheaper cards out there but like anything you get what you pay for (supposedly) :)
A problem i seem to be having at the moment though is trying to get the card to do video capture which it says it can. has anyone managed this succesfully? I recon i need video capture software, is this correct?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Starman,

Sorry for the delay in reply, I am now typing only with left hand, as I broke the right arm Skiing on thursday. Great Powder, but a bit sticky, hence the broken arm. Haven't found out how to use the video capture either.

Rolf

ayaz

Reaction score
Hi

now i have upgraded my system to 8oomhz amd-k7 abit m/b and matrox millinium450 32mb but the result is the same jirky picture even with this totally new systm. even in the same transonder sum of the channels are quite smmoth while others are jirky despite more than enough signal strength. i am still waiting for help.

ayaz

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hello Ayaz,

Should be no problem with your new system, it is not out of the question that there may be a fault with the card. You didn't say whether these were encrypted channels, if they are it may be the decryption process either the cam or the card program.

Rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
I think it also sounds like their may be a problem with the card.
Ofcourse the monitor may be playing a part, perhaps???
Could be just one of those weird things monitors do sometimes in certain resolutions, just a thought.
I dont know how the cam or card could be having an effect on jerky picture on certain channels, ive never had it.
I suggest if the card is under warranty that you get them to check it for you then atleast you can rule out the card as a variable and concentrate on narrowing down the problem further especially as you have upgraded your system. Software conflicts can sometimes cause these sort of things. Good luck.

Hey rolf sorry to hear your skiing trip wasnt as smooth as you would have liked but atleast your back safe now :)

ps.ive changed my email address to
starmanuk50@hotmail.com

as x-stream are playing up.

bye for now :-grin

aseman

Reaction score
My Location
London
Hi Ayaz,

I also have Pentavision CI, and you're right, picture is not crystal clear. However, the composite output picture is near perfect. I have P3-650, 256MB ram machine. I think it is only noticable if you compare to TV picture - it does shake a little but you dont notice too much if you change the contrast/brightness etc.

Also, I think you can only capture video if you have the optional capture card "Navis"- found at www.pentamedia.com website.

Also, have any of you successfully found a Seca hexfile that works with all the Kiosque and Palco channels? - Mine only works with standard Seca channels like cinemania etc - if so, what hexfile u using?

Thanx
Asim

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
ive never had the palcos kick in except once for 10 minutes, and ive used various files and find most do not work but i found the secanix file to work well on majority of seca channels except ofcourse the ones you mentioned :( but the taquillas (nature channels) would freeze after about 10 mins and i would have to reset the software.
They`ve stopped working at the moment, just havent got round to updating it yet. You are right about the tv picture being better through a tv incidently but ive been told by one or two people who have seen the picture i get that they think my monitor is actually a sharper picture but i guess it depends on the monitor
and what sort of picture settings you like (ie how bright, contrast up or down etc) ive never really touched any of the settings in the pentamedia software just left them in default and had no jerky picture problems except on certain channels i get a jumpy picture like the v-hold on your tv not set right but this only appears on my television as jumpy but normal on my monitor but these transponders are to do with the on-digital info channels anyway. :)

interesting what you say about the video capture, i didnt think i needed an addon to do it. Do you know anything about the remote control input thats in the pentamedia-ci card as an input?

aseman

Reaction score
My Location
London
To STARMAN or anyon that can help...

As far as I know,they have left the remote input for "future use".I really dont expect them to sort out anything on that. Probably the best thing at the moment is to get a cordless keyboard and mouse to change the channels. I have been e-mailed from Pentamedia telling me the latest prices on the capture cards (if you are interested). One option is USB,the other requires a PCI slot. The card is £326.65 inc VAT including Ulead software (this was in November). I dunno about USB one...

For the output, I have outputted back into my Voodoo3 3500TV capture card and picture looks better-but a little darker. So its not the monitor that is at fault.

I also have not got Taquilla recently, there used to be a file that got it working but i cant find it anymore (something like bockywocky.hex)

Let me know if you find any files.

By the way, some of my channels (such as SCT, when it used to work at 13E) give me like 1 frame a second. This is my 3rd Penta-Ci and I have a 1mdish. Do you ever get this problem on some channels (also problem on Alice on 19E)

Thanx
Aseman

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Dont think i am that desperate to spend over 300 pounds on a capture card so i guess ill just make do.
The secanix files should work ok for you as you have the same sort of setup as me. I have the files somewhere but havent had the time to even up date the card yet but i would suggest you try the latest secanix files. If i get around to sorting out my card i will email you. Perhaps someone else can help?
never watched alice but i think i get it ok.
bye for now :)