Job Interview

arfurdaley

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a job interview next week just wondering if anyone can provide any advice or tips.

The interview is for an Electric Meter Installer for a large utilities company (UK).

I currently work as a Test Tech for a Electronics manufacturing company but recently been told that we will be made redundant in the near future as they are stopping manufacturing in the UK.

The company I am going for interview for were looking for Electricians (which I am not) or people with relevant aptitude /skills who could be trained.

Any idea what I could expect from the job/interview?

Any advice would be welcomed.

;);)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would say that you have more than adequate aptitude going from electronics test to electrical installation. Just be confident. :)

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
arfurdaley said:
Hi, I've got a job interview next week just wondering if anyone can provide any advice or tips.

The interview is for an Electric Meter Installer for a large utilities company (UK).

I currently work as a Test Tech for a Electronics manufacturing company but recently been told that we will be made redundant in the near future as they are stopping manufacturing in the UK.

The company I am going for interview for were looking for Electricians (which I am not) or people with relevant aptitude /skills who could be trained.

Any idea what I could expect from the job/interview?

Any advice would be welcomed.

;);)

:D I think the main considerations will be your safety, customer safety and customer attitude.
Good Luck

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If the company has a web site visit it and make yourself aware of what's on there. Don't go to town but show willing.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sounds to me as if you fit the bill (pardon the pun) lol as Rolf said with your test bench background you should breeze it

Always remember the customer is never wrong, always clean up after yourself unless you are asked not to 'cos some folks are fussy like that and get rid of any thoughts of nookie on offer O-Ha

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Never go down to the basement first, follow the house owner.

pothead13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci + 1000d super +
skystar 2 pci card
1M Motorised dish
Ivacon twin lnb
pc + laptop on network
My Location
uk
just to say good luck m8 sounds like intresting job and seems like you have the experience from other job to get you the job just be yourself let us know how you get on

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
toppervte33h said:
Sounds to me as if you fit the bill (pardon the pun) lol as Rolf said with your test bench background you should breeze it

Always remember the customer is never wrong, always clean up after yourself unless you are asked not to 'cos some folks are fussy like that and get rid of any thoughts of nookie on offer O-Ha

({}) Don't forget the thoughts, simply nip home and catch the other half out.;)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
People aren't made redundant, jobs are.

In no particular order:

Be calm and confident. Look people in the eyes, smile and shake hands.

Don't make unsupported statements- always provide evidence of how you learnt something. e.g don't say "I'm good at electronics" (or whatever), say something like

"During my employment as a senior xx at YY I've learnt a wide range of skills etc including x, y,x. i developed this during "jobs" such as x,y,x".

Never waffle.

Remember, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Believe the job is yours.

And open-ended questions such as "why do you want this job?" or "what can you offer us?" etc are an opportunity to sell yourself- you can say anything.

PRACTICE. Prepare answers to possible questions. Provide evidence of how you acquired the skills you give in your answers.

Be prepared for the "you don't have experience as an electrician, why are you looking to change job roles/ why should we employ you" type questions. Have a well thought out answer BEFORE the interview.

Practice some more. Have some questions written down on a piece of card. When they ask "do you have any questions?" get it out. If they've covered anything say that, otherwise ask away. It shows preparation.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You have two ears and one mouth.

Use them in those proportions.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
h_tp://www.indiana.edu/~libpers/interview.html

h_tp://www.quintcareers.com/interview_questions.html

And don't criticise any former employers.