Joining Sky - But already have a dish ?

busman12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
UK
I currently have a dish on my wall and a satellite receiver from Maplins which i am using to watch the free digital channels - I suppose you could say `Freesat`, but i am not or ever have been with Sky.

I am now thinking about joining Sky and paying for some of the TV packs along with Broadband and phone.
I am concerned about the `installation` bit of joining, I already have a dish on the wall which is wired via satellite cable to my current receiver.
Will Sky let me use my current dish, wiring ?
Can the person installing just fit the receiver in place ?

I have e-mailed Sky these questions but thought someone on here may know from past experiences, and i would probably get a reply quicker on here.
Thanks.:)

G

Buy your own Box and simply ask for a "second-hand" Contract. (Which is essentially Card only).

Connect the Box up yourself and just call Sky to activate and pair the Card.

QED!

Edit: I note you have asked the same question on Digital Spy as well ............... :-jumpsmile

busman12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
UK
rai uno said:
Buy your own Box and simply ask for a "second-hand" Contract. (Which is essentially Card only).

Connect the Box up yourself and just call Sky to activate and pair the Card.

QED!

So i could just buy a box and install it myself ? as simple as that ?
I suppose The Broadband & phone would not require any installation ?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Before buying a box, compare the costs first. Not sure what they're offering at the moment, but when I did suscribe to Sky once, the box came FREE, pretty sure the installation was too. They claw this back from the profits they make from your subscription.

G

busman12 said:
So i could just buy a box and install it myself ? as simple as that ?
I suppose The Broadband & phone would not require any installation ?

Box: Yes indeed. Even Tesco sell them now.

Broadband and Phone: No idea what would be involved in your case.

I assumed the bits in bold were what were of immediate concern.

Does it all need to be done in one fell swoop, or could you get the Box and Sub sorted as described then "upgrade" to all the other stuff?

busman12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
UK
rai uno said:
Box: Yes indeed. Even Tesco sell them now.

Broadband and Phone: No idea what would be involved in your case.

I assumed the bits in bold were what were of immediate concern.

Does it all need to be done in one fell swoop, or could you get the Box and Sub sorted as described then "upgrade" to all the other stuff?

Do Tesco now sell the Sky Boxes ? I thought usually if you buy Sky in a shop, its for the FULL Sky installation jobby !

The Broadband & Phone i have now found out (on the Sky website) i could `upgrade` to these AFTER getting the TV.

G

busman12 said:
Do Tesco now sell the Sky Boxes ? I thought usually if you buy Sky in a shop, its for the FULL Sky installation jobby !

The Broadband & Phone i have now found out (on the Sky website) i could `upgrade` to these AFTER getting the TV.

Indeed Tesco do. As of a few weeks ago, larger stores plus Tesco Direct do a package excluding Installation. I think it is £75 for a Standard Box and includes a FreesatfromSky Card - but of course they will snap your hand off if you actually want a Sub (arranged separately as described).

But you can also get them from Online sources, either direct from Suppliers, or via Auction Sites.

You can get them Brand New, Used or Car Boot.

Arrange the Card as a"second-hand Contract" and when it arrives, just ring up and they will take your Box and Card details and activate which Subs Channels you have asked for.

It's that easy.

Edit: Just checked Tesco Direct and it says "Offer Has Ended".

Still, the basic principle is unaffected!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You'll probably find that there is some sort of deal on for Sky+ and their internet and phone package, I bet it'll be cheaper than doing it yourself.

Why not keep you existing dish for other satellite viewing and get them to put up a minidish, quad LNB and cable run.

busman12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
UK
Second-hand contract.

How much does this cost ?
Is the cost no different to a normal contract ?
Is there any connection charges with this ?
Do Sky treat `second-hand` customers the same ?

G

Same cost.

No connection charges.

Service is equally bad across the board.

"Second-hand" is just a term they use - it doesn't mean what it seems to.

(Thank heavens for Tabbed Browsers ............... )

busman12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
UK
rai uno said:
Arrange the Card as a"second-hand Contract" and when it arrives, just ring up and they will take your Box and Card details and activate which Subs Channels you have asked for.

I have just purchased a Sky+ box from an online retailer.
I will install it myself at the weekend.

So what happens next ?
I have to phone Sky for them to send a viewing card ?
Do they take my subscription details then or do i have to wait until i receive the card and phone again ?

When i ring Sky for a `second-hand` contract, what information will i need to have ready ?
Any numbers/codes off the Sky+box ?
Obviously my bank account details for subscription ?
Any other information ?

Sorry for being a real pain :-worship

Thanks.

G

Just ring Sky and tell them you've installed your own Sky+ Box and would like a Subscription for a "second hand box".

They will take your name, address, payment details and Subscription requirements and arrange for a Card to be sent out.

When you get the Card, ring them again and get the Card paired with your Box. They will take you to the System Details screen and match up the Box serial number and Card number and arrange for the relevant Activation signal to be sent.

They will also check your Firmware is at an appropriate Version (I'm not familiar with the Sky+ Versions, I'm afraid).

digidol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd multiroom,fta sat set up currently a 1.2 fiberglass dish,have others in storage!.. computer running vista :(,laptop
with windows 7
My Location
A, A
why dont you just phone sky and get a new std digibox for free the installation fee will only be a fiver on this- the only thing you would need is a phone line connected for 12 months and the basic viewing package - you will get a new minidish and cableing because they warrant the install..this dish will be alligned properly with an alligment meter ..did you diy yours,for a £5 plus subs you cant go wrong......or you can get a sky + for £49 with a free install or a hd for the same price,since you will be a new cust