Just a Quickie (oooooerr !) . Child / wet wipes

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
And the disposing of these things

With a young one in the house we get through a lot of these, and I know they are not to be thrown down the toilet, but are they compostable ?

They also make reasonable firelighters once dried out, so what are they actually made of ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
They're usually made from some plastic fibres of somesort, usually biodegradable (like plastic bags from supermarkets), the problem with flushing is that they can get caught on rough edges in the nations' degrading sewage system, and thus cause blockages, and when (or if) they get to the sewage works, they can clog up the big sieves they use to filter out non-squishy solids resulting in effluent backing up... :blink:

The usual solution is to stick them in with the nappies and throw them away, but, most people just don't bother, especially if they're using them on themselves after a friday night curry... :-toilet

Best thing to do is just use a damp cloth that you can wash with the regular washing (or just thoroughly rinse out under the tap), that applies to both babies and currybum...:lol:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks (I think) , the packet does state they are currently not recyclable which is why I prefer to burn them rather than chuck them out for the bin men with the other rubbish as they will go straight to landfill.

Would they 'work' - biodegrade - in the composter ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Would they 'work' - biodegrade - in the composter ?

Not really, the plastics they're composed of take a few years to break down, and the end product is just plastic bits in amongst compost, and as for burning, well, that does kind of break the law on burning refuse (hence why the clean air act came about, acellerated by london's infamous killer smogs), especially if you live in a declared smokeless zone... :-doh

That's why I suggest the use of cloths instead, for one, you don't need to throw out or burn them, just reuse them until they're no longer needed, then reuse them for household cleaning until they fall apart... :)

I won't go into the realm of reusable nappies though, basically the same concept, but, yeah, not my area of expertise... :blink:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I won't go into the realm of reusable nappies though, basically the same concept, but, yeah, not my area of expertise... :blink:

Terry nappies have to be sterilised in a bucket of solution for 24 hours and I would suggest if employing 2cv's 'wipe and wash' method these would need the same, your poo can be toxic, poisonous, full of bacteria and possibly eggs, larvae or worms. Better still....... use toilet paper and fit a bidet in your bathroom.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The wipes are used for little more than work surfaces, cleaning the wood stove and general spillages (not from human orifices).