johnappleby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 x technomate 1500ci 1mtr motorised dish
My Location
n/e england
hi. to all.

how difficult is it to build your own computer

i mean to buy a case. a mother board. a processor. and a fan and a hard drive and put them together into a working package. do they come with easy instructions as to how to wire up the mother board ect. i am sure i can physically put the things together its the wireing up i would not be to sure of. i have installed things like dvd drives and cd drives i put a tv card in myself and can when needed wipe and reinstall operating system. so will i be able to build a computer base unit. never bought a motherboard so do not know what is included in package as to instructions ect. i beleive that the power supply is built into the case is this true .
so if any one out there can give me an idea it would be very helpful. all info appreciated.

regards pip

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hiya Pip

With what you've done on PCs so far I don't think you'll have any problem. You can buy all the parts from online suppliers like www.dabs.com or wander into PC World who have a section dedicated to people building their own systems. You can purchase a case with power supply and fan installed and once the mobo is in place it's pretty easy going. If I was building one today I'd fancy one of those see-through cases with a neon light inside.

Magazines like Computeractive have run features on DIY systems so I guess their web site will have all the info you need, as would others.

My vote = yeeeesss go for it!!

Good luck

Jimbo

johnappleby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
n/e england
hi. jimbo thanks for the reply m8 i have the same post on about four sites and am getting some exellent advice from lots of sources including yourself i will check out what you have said and will have a look at the address you gave me thanks a lot

regards

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I agree with Jimbo Pip, it is easier than you would think, there are also several online documents that can be downloaded, that's where I got my information. Here's a good site and Here's another one

johnappleby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
n/e england
hi. rolfw
thanks for the info i will certainly check it all out probably later this evening. thanks again.

regards pip

T

Tuvok

Originally posted by johnappleby
hi. rolfw
thanks for the info i will certainly check it all out probably later this evening. thanks again.

regards pip
Pip
Yes it is very simple, but take a few precuations too, earth urself, make sure you set the jumpers on MOBO correct, and make sure you seat the MOBO on the correct fittings and that itr doesnt tounch the case metal, or u will short the board. Look for pin 1 on cpu and locat it in the correct position on the board, easiy identified by the angled cut on cpu base, and socket, any help u need just let me know, I build loads every day.
Tuvok:D

johnappleby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
n/e england
thanks tuvok . i have this up on a few boards and the advice i have had up to now is great. if i get to build one i must say now that it is not for me cannot afford to update my old croc at the moment it is for a family member so if they decide to go ahead i will definately be taking all the advice and support i can manage thanks a lot for all the members help

my regards pip

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
Even my day who is 55-60 managed to build one from scratch ( with a little help for me)
The first thing i always do is read the instruction book that comes with your board.
Before you fit your board in your case: (makes it easy)
Set up the jumpers if there are any.
Fit processor, heat-sink and fan and memory
Fit the board. Make sure you don't short circuit the MB tracks on the screws.
Connect the LED'S and push buttons.
Connect the power
Connect the minimum hardware. ie 1 floppy,1 hard disk, 1 cd/dvd rom and graphics card.
Switch on. and set the bios setting to match your processor, mem etc. This is most technical part.
Install OS
Then install rest of hardware.
Thats a quick guide....

nobbly

P.S. There are enough cleaver bods here who can help you.
And its the best way to learn

johnappleby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
n/e england
hi. nobbly.

just copied your post m8. will keep it for refference.

thanks a lot it would seem that not shorting the mobo to the case must be quite a common thing to do as just about all help so far has mentioned this problem hopefully that is one problem i now know to steer well clear of

regards pip

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
Another point is that when working on your computer make sure that the mains power cable is unplugged.

Even when your computer is switched off there is still power on the MB.

Talking from experience. Once fitted a PCI card with power on the MB. Hand slipped and the MB sparked and smoked and never worked the same again...LOL

nobbly

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
The only other thing to concern u is the price.
total all your componants up and i bet you`ll c full setups at
low cost pc retailers (CHEAPER). What you got to realise is that
unbranded Pc setups r useually cheap and nasty componants,
Mobos will be pc chips or even no make, Cpu`s will be OEM,
Mem will be dog shit, Monitors wil b LG or simular, Hard Disk will be old Stock (useually maxtor slower models). So if it cost £150
more DONT B SHOCKED , YOU GET WHAT U PAY FOR.