Kaspersky Download Virus Scan

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I am evaluating the latest Kaspersky Internet Security.
Looks good so far, certainly better than the ZoneAlarm that I had for a year and caused my PC to slow down all the time.
But I have an annoying feature which I am unable to resolve.
Whenever I download anything, even the smallest size gif image, it starts to do a virus scan on the downloaded file whick can take about 10 seconds.
While doing the scan, my PC is virtually paralyzed until the scan check is over.
It is becoming quite annoying and I would appreciate any help on how to stop this, without jeopardizing the usual important virus scan.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Wouldn't touch Kaspersky with a barge pole, every time I've flirted with it it has crippled my PC. In my opinion AVG is still one of the best.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
rolfw said:
Wouldn't touch Kaspersky with a barge pole, every time I've flirted with it it has crippled my PC. In my opinion AVG is still one of the best.

You are absolutely right rolfw.
I got fed with Kaspersky and uninstalled it few days ago, two weeks before the end of the evaluation period.
Cleaned all the residual files, or so I thought.
Then tried to install AVG, but got error messages that I already have another AV application installed. Then my mouse became non functional until I got some expert advise on how to get it to work.
I installed Avast Pro instead.
Looks good so far.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Use Kaspersky for years now at home on 3 Puters, as wll as over 40 at work. Never had a serious problem or virus ever with it...Much better than Norton :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G said:
Use Kaspersky for years now at home on 3 Puters, as wll as over 40 at work. Never had a serious problem or virus ever with it...Much better than Norton :)

Are you using the latest Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 or only the Antivirus product T_G?
I tried their latest version and I was unhappy with it.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
At work we have got Kasperski anti virus on every computer, but there is also a kasperski somewhere on the server acting as firewall and global mail spam filter I think.
At home I use the fairly recent 2009 Internet Security (is not that much different from the 2010) on three computers in my home network: One Vista notebook, and two XP. Can't say much about speed or not, all I know that I haven't had a virus, trojan, worm in years, even though I got two teenagers on the computer all the time. Maybe they are simply not downloading stuff, but still...I have legal versionsfor all three, but I received them free of charge. But I think I would most likely pay for it if I did not get it free.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
OK T_G, I am happy for you as you found a satisfactory AV application.
My fuses blew off because of the problem I had with K and described in this thread first post. If this doesn't happen with any of your computers, then it is probably a new feature in the 2010 version, or it is because of my OS XP Pro and not Vista.
It is easier to try something else than try to get to the bottom of this problem.

jaymes

Reaction score
Loaded trial of Kapersky 2010 last week. On Installtion and reboot my desktop was completely wiped except for Shortcuts to My Documents, My Computer, and Internet Explorer and Recycle Bin. Also strangley, it reverted back to its original desktop background (Medion). Used previous version no problem apart from it being a bit to fussy at times.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
jaymes said:
Loaded trial of Kapersky 2010 last week. On Installtion and reboot my desktop was completely wiped except for Shortcuts to My Documents, My Computer, and Internet Explorer and Recycle Bin. Also strangley, it reverted back to its original desktop background (Medion). Used previous version no problem apart from it being a bit to fussy at times.

Come to think about it, I had a similar problem, but not upon installation of Kaspersky. Maybe five days later. Never thought of Kaspersky as the cause, but thanks for opening my eyes.
I nearly had a heart attack, but after reboot it reverted back to normal.
Which O/S do you have?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
jaymes said:
@ HB13DISH

XP Home SP3

I have XP Pro SP3.
Perhaps 2010 works better with Vista. Any volunteers?

amazing1000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
thompson 8210
quad core 6600
My Location
england
I run Kaspersky Anti Virus and have for the past three years with very little problems and definately no virus, trojans etc.
I pay for this and as it is only £29 for two years, in my opinion it is a bargain as it is the best and over the years I have tried just about every thing.

I am running XP 64 bit on a Intel quad 2.4 with 4 gig ram and 2 Terrabyte of hard drives, made up of four seperate SATA drives.

It does slow the computer, but it will as it has to do it's job and check for virus but what do you want a fast computer (modern times when everything has to be done in a flash with no better end result)full of virus or a slightly slower one and peace of mind.
I also run Spybot once a week but have yet to find anything is Kaspersky is definately doing a great job.
Norton will never get near any of my computers !

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Have you tried the latest Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 yet?