Lacuna (Wolsey) Satellite Meter Firmware and Batteries

radiobuff

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6900 HD Receiver, 85cm Gilbertini dish with Technomate TM2200 motor, Diablo Light and T Rex 4.6 cams.
My Location
Northern Ireland
I bought a new Lacuna (Wolsey) Mk4 satellite meter on eBay about a year ago and have had problems finding updates for the firmware and also problems with the batteries. I thought my experience with it may be of help to others.

The firmware can be updated using a USB cable, but the updates are hard to find. After much searching, I found the website carrying the updates. It is at _http://www.metersupport.co.uk/sat3loader.htm . I have tried updating the firmware using the loader and instructions on this site, and it works fine.

As for battery problems, the Mk 4 uses a battery pack comprising six Ni/MH cells. When I first received the meter, I found it would only charge for about 5 minutes before charging stopped. After eight repeat charge/ discharge cycles, this increased to several hours which allowed the meter to operate for about an hour before it needed re-charging. The meter was then stored for a few months (fully charged) and the batteries were found to be completely flat when I went to use it again 3 months later. When I tried to re-charge them, it was a repeat of the senario I found when I first purchased the meter, again requiring several charge/discharge cycles to get it going again. Has anyone else had a problem with the batteries in these meters?

I understand that a replacement battery pack for these meters costs £50 or more, so I decided to replace it with six standard AA size re-chargeable Ni/MH batteries which can be purchased for less than £10 from an internet supplier. I used ones with 2500mAH capacity fitted into a holder for 6 AA cells, which can be purchased for around £1. The old battery pack is easily removed from the meter and the new holder can be fitted by soldering the small plug off the old one on to the new one.

Having done this, I find the meter is now operating as it should and the new batteries now hold their charge much better and do not require this constant charging/discharging to activate them again.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Thanks for this useful information, mainly regarding the batteries.

I have the same meter and the battery life is atrocious. I will replace the batteries as you have done and hopefully this fixes the problem as it has done for you.

I was already aware of where to get updated firmware for it from. There is also the most updated transponder list on there as well.

However, the channel list does not contain any useful transponders for 7W. For this I used the channel editor, but from at that site it is zipped up using a password. I do however have an an unzipped version if anyone needs it.

Is this the battery holder configuration?:-

(89p from the dreaded Maplin place)

Attachments

• 6cellbatt.JPG
    6cellbatt.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 213

radiobuff

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6900 HD Receiver, 85cm Gilbertini dish with Technomate TM2200 motor, Diablo Light and T Rex 4.6 cams.
My Location
Northern Ireland
Hello Robbo,

Glad you found this useful. I wonder what the problem is with the batteries fitted by the manufacturer! I have seen several other forum reports also relating to duff batteries.

Yes, that is the right holder in your photograph. You will also need the small battery adapter to fit the top connections. The holder is slightly smaller than the original battery pack so it can rattle about a bit if shaken. A small piece of foam could be wrapped around the holder if this matters.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Parts ordered, I'll stick them in a couple of days when they arrive.

Yes, rattling would be annoying.

Yeah, I don't know why either the supplied batteries are rubbish, they charge enough for the meter. I got the 2700mH ones.:)

modelhangar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 6800
My Location
UK
Hi Guys I thought I would add this to the debate. I also found problems charging the Mk4 and mine would actually lock up after being on trickle charge for a while. I spoke to the company about this issue and holding down the on/off key for about 15 seconds start a hard reset. No probs for a while but trouble encountered connecting and the meter shutting down. I cycled the battery pack for about 1/2 a dozen times and again the meter worked OK. I also left mine stored for a couple of months, on trying to use the meter it showed it needed charging however this time it would not hold charge. I spoke to the guy that owns the company who explained.... The battery whilst connected is on permanent discharge as the circuit is draining it all the time. the only way to stop this is to charge the unit without fail every 2/3 weeks or disconnect the battery during storage. I did suggest a small micro switch fitted on the side to isolate the battery would be better than keep disconnecting via the plug plus its awkward. He agreed (Why not make it this way in the first place.) Obviously NiMh batteries like to be stored above a certain voltage, one of my cells must have dropped below the critical voltage and it then becomes scrap. I also spoke with a company to get the correct battery pack although, I had considered doing as you guys have done. The pack cost £35.00 including postage and the company was excellent. If any one want the address I shall find the receipt and post it on the site.
I have not upgraded my software for well over 12 months can anyone tell me what the advantages aer of the upgrade and version to go to.

Hope my ramblings help others
cheers

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I've got one too and think the battery duration is terrible. Sometimes it only lasts for half an hour. I started using the car charger between jobs but for some reason it blew the fuse in the adaptor. I try to use the mains charger over night but after a few hours it displays a message that say "charging error" and the meter is locked up. The only way I have found to clear it is to disconnect the battery for a few moments. I'm not confident in it at all. To be honest, after paying £250 for this, I feel robbed. This battery/charging problem makes something that ought to be a nice bit of kit feel very unreliable.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well, mine does seem to have become a lot more reliable since ditching the batteries that can with it and fitting 6xAA NIMH 2700 mAH instead, as suggested earlier on in this thread. It is still not adequate however to complete most of my jobs, due to it's lack of satellite identification. I have to resort to using a Technomate receiver and 8" lcd tv for confirmation. One for ebay soon I think.

I agree, with you eggs, rather than paying £250 for this, it would have been better paying £50 or so more for something with a spec anal and NIT table capability, like the swires Digiscan 007 (I think its called).

modelhangar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 6800
My Location
UK
Morning Huevos
While we are still on the dreaded subject of the Mk4. I am pleased to see I am not the only one that gets a charging error. When again I mentioned this to the owner of the company he really did not know what I was going on about and just blamed me for not charging the batteries every couple of weeks. I now do it religiously till I find time to fit a small isolator switch. Never tried the in car charger so can not comment. I now put the unit on charge and monitor it very carefully till it stops and then disconnect. Bit of a pain but it seems to be having the desired effect. I am tending to think mine came with a duff battery anyway as I had trouble with the unit from day one. By the way ringing the company whose label is on the original battery pack gets you know where, they recognised the batteries but must sell them on to be made up into the units for the Lacuna by other companies. If anyone is struggling for batteries and does not want to use another so called genuine pack try a company called Overlander.co.uk. They are a very helpful and stock many different NiMh.

Can you guys tell me what the advantages are of the latest software update and version number.
I am also running a tech 8600 and would like to put my sky card in the unit but can not find a patch any ideas?
I am pretty new to satellite equipment so on a steep learning curve especially like most hobbies this one also has a language and set of acronyms of its own
cheers Neil

gpage24

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky,Showtime,Supersports,Art,1.2 meter dish,Lacuna mk4 meter,Horizon ,satcatcher,
My Location
canary islands
modelhangar said:
Morning Huevos
While we are still on the dreaded subject of the Mk4. I am pleased to see I am not the only one that gets a charging error. When again I mentioned this to the owner of the company he really did not know what I was going on about and just blamed me for not charging the batteries every couple of weeks. I now do it religiously till I find time to fit a small isolator switch. Never tried the in car charger so can not comment. I now put the unit on charge and monitor it very carefully till it stops and then disconnect. Bit of a pain but it seems to be having the desired effect. I am tending to think mine came with a duff battery anyway as I had trouble with the unit from day one. By the way ringing the company whose label is on the original battery pack gets you know where, they recognised the batteries but must sell them on to be made up into the units for the Lacuna by other companies. If anyone is struggling for batteries and does not want to use another so called genuine pack try a company called Overlander.co.uk. They are a very helpful and stock many different NiMh.

Can you guys tell me what the advantages are of the latest software update and version number.
I am also running a tech 8600 and would like to put my sky card in the unit but can not find a patch any ideas?
I am pretty new to satellite equipment so on a steep learning curve especially like most hobbies this one also has a language and set of acronyms of its own
cheers Neil

I too had this problem recently with my mk4, think it was the car charger caused it,(charge error) had to be returned to lacuna and they replaced it for a new one,,no questions asked nor did they give an explanation what had occured,,having spoken with the distributor they made out it was a known¡¡¡ issue with the new meter and recalled a batch from distributors?

having said this the new meter will trickle charge for about 10 mins now on new meter before going to boost,,Anyway meter was under warranty and replaced...I think these meters are not bad if only the tech support and batteries were better.

joecroft2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky /freesat , desktop pc plus laptop
My Location
Swansea south Wales UK
radiobuff said:
Hello Robbo,

Glad you found this useful. I wonder what the problem is with the batteries fitted by the manufacturer! I have seen several other forum reports also relating to duff batteries.

Yes, that is the right holder in your photograph. You will also need the small battery adapter to fit the top connections. The holder is slightly smaller than the original battery pack so it can rattle about a bit if shaken. A small piece of foam could be wrapped around the holder if this matters.

can you tell me what part N0 the small battery adaptor to fit the top connections, is please ,i assume thats from maplins as well , thank you

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I didn't get it from Maplins in the end, because as usual, there were not any in stock:confused

I got it from here:-

_http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/batteries.html

6x AA battery holder, its at the bottom of that page. You also need a lead as well, a PP3 battery clip. Very good service too, for such a cheap item.

joecroft2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Swansea south Wales UK
thanks very much robbo thats been most helpfull ,

joecroft2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Swansea south Wales UK
Hi Guys , i fitted the 6 AA 2650 Nimh batteries into the holder ,and installed it into my Lacuna mark 1V , and when i put it on charge the reading went up to nearly 10 volts instead of the normal 7.7 , and when i went back later it showed Error charge , the only way i could get it to work again was to remove the battery and reconecct , has any body else had this

modelhangar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 6800
My Location
UK
Hi Joecroft2
Mine gives an eror reading with the proper pack in which was replaced about 3 months ago Instead of taking the battery in and out try holding the on off button down for about 15 seconds and it should re set itself. I may speak again when I get time to the company as this appears to be more common than I first thought. Although when I did speak with the guy at Lacuna when I noticed the unit displaying error messages he denied all knowledge this was happeneing and blamed it on me cause I had not charged the unit every 2/3 weeks.
Let us know if the reset works. I have bought a slide switch to fit to the side casing to eliminate the battery completely when not in use, which I must get round to fitting.
cheers

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
modelhangar said:
Mine gives an eror reading with the proper pack
Are you charging it with the protective jacket on? If so you need to remove it whilst charging. Read my other post.

modelhangar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 6800
My Location
UK
Thanks Huevos
I tried this, as I considered that the battery was getting excessively hot. I am fairly used to charging nicads and MH plus lipos for my models and have never seen or felt one get this hot. I did try last night removing the battery from the unit and charging and following this I am now looking for a spare connector so I can cycle the pack regularly. However the battery stayed cool throughout the charge although I only gave it about 6 hours so will do some more checking this weekend. But it did work no problem. I may do the same as you and drill some ventilation holes.
Thanks
cheers modelhangar

gpage24

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky,Showtime,Supersports,Art,1.2 meter dish,Lacuna mk4 meter,Horizon ,satcatcher,
My Location
canary islands
modelhangar said:
Thanks Huevos
I tried this, as I considered that the battery was getting excessively hot. I am fairly used to charging nicads and MH plus lipos for my models and have never seen or felt one get this hot. I did try last night removing the battery from the unit and charging and following this I am now looking for a spare connector so I can cycle the pack regularly. However the battery stayed cool throughout the charge although I only gave it about 6 hours so will do some more checking this weekend. But it did work no problem. I may do the same as you and drill some ventilation holes.
Thanks
cheers modelhangar

They have changed the type af battery been used,,the meter i sent back for repair has the new 1 fitted inside just as the new meter they sent me,,it dont heat up like it used to anymore and battery life is a lot better.
So they seem to have the problem sorted, but they never admitted to been a prob in the first place,,:-doh2

morrie88

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I am interEsted in all things to do with satellite installation
My Location
North Wales
Hi

I have 2 wolsey sat meters..a V4 U12 and a V5 S91.

I too have had problems charging the V5 S91 with it cutting out after 5 minutes charging but a bigger problem is it only identifies one Satellite..28 degrees east, theSky one. I get a reasonable reading on the V4 meter ... high 90's on V Low and a little lower on the other 3 but on the V5 the readings are very low around 50 maximum..and it won't show any reading at all on Hotbird, Astra 1 etc. although it will show ''Found Satellite''.

I would like to contact the makers..Does anyone have their phone number and address?

Thank you in advance

Graham

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Here's their website Graham

_http://www.metersupport.co.uk/

There's a phone number on there.
That is for Lacuna, not sure if it's one and the same.

Sounds like you need to load a new data set to your meter.

morrie88

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I am interEsted in all things to do with satellite installation
My Location
North Wales
Thanks Robbo

I've tried downloading a Loader and a data file but when I attempt to open the loader a meesage comes up 'do you want to uninstall the loader' Strange. Anyway I'll contact Triax in S/Wales tomorrow see if they can help

Cheers