LCD - like no other?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I was at my local electrical store on Wednesday to buy a cheapo printer (Brother 115c, in fact) - then trolled over to the TV section.

Its clear that CRT's are going outta the window. Mind I saw, in the flesh, a Philips HD w/s CRT (the first I have ever seen in europe).:p

My Q is this.

From your own experiences, either at the store, hiring one, or - even buying one, how do you rate an LCD flat panel display (usually with DVB-T tuner inside) over and above a tube TV?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I suppose I must go shopping more I have not seen one yet:eek: . Fortunately for my pocket I have learnt never to go shopping as I cannot be trusted with a credit card in my pocket I just use it and so rather than do without the card I do without the shops. willpower my boy :-Nooo

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I've not seen an LCD I'd buy. Plasma technology is better than it was a few years ago so less fear of failure and the picture is better than most LCD. I've still got my old Toshiba 32" 100hz and won't be replacing it until it dies or HD stuff is very cheap (inc sat receivers, dvds and players).

linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
Gibertini 85cm aluminium dish
5 LNBS - 28E/23E/19/E/13E/9E
My Location
Bedfordshire
:) Hi everyone, although this my first post I have been reading and enjoying this forum for the last couple of weeks and been very impressed with members knowledge and unreserved help to each other!
My brother has a 42 inch lcd running Sky and terrestrial tv and the picture is nowhere near the CRT quality of his old 36 inch Panny. Most of the shops' tellies are set up to show either HD demos or dvd films to hoodwink the customer so consequently the poor sods are left redfaced when they realise the two grand they've just paid for their lcd is no better but worse than their old 10 year old CRT when they set it up at home.
Even the man man at John Lewis advised me to wait another before even thinking of changing over!!!O-no

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum linsladeboy

Nice 1st Post ;)
Seems I have not missed a lot then not going shopping ;)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sorry had to add an extra option. A telly is a telly. I really dont give a toss if its lcd, crt, plasma, or uses dilithium crystals as long as it gives me a reasonable picture
:D

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Buy a projector :D

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
What I dislike about LCD tv sets is this

- color bleeding
- motion blur
- pixelation
- lack of true black, it's more like a dark blue
- subtitles, text and alike really need some kind of antialiazing
- screen is dull that gives you a lifeless picture

The design of some is pretty cool, they sound ok, don't need as much electricity as plasma or crt but the bottom line is that they suck.

good2talk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing at the moment until I find a receiver.
My Location
yookay
Prophessor said:
What I dislike about LCD tv sets is this

- color bleeding
- motion blur
- pixelation
- lack of true black, it's more like a dark blue
- subtitles, text and alike really need some kind of antialiazing
- screen is dull that gives you a lifeless picture

The design of some is pretty cool, they sound ok, don't need as much electricity as plasma or crt but the bottom line is that they suck.

It seems the Prophessor has not seen any recent models. All the comments you have given or of old models. LCD has now improved a lot. In some cases it got better than Plasma. I would say many of the major brands are better than last year. Some people do not like new technology! It is difficult to convince them.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Plasma is on the way out already - the next big thing is laser tubes!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I've seen a 42" Panasonic Viera LCD and for the money the picture isn't that great.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Plasma is a lot better than LCD (IMHO), I have both.

LCD have increased in size but don't compare in quality.

LCD suffer with artefacts especially in fast movement (football).

Best of all are CRT.

linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
Gibertini 85cm aluminium dish
5 LNBS - 28E/23E/19/E/13E/9E
My Location
Bedfordshire
Hi Analoguesat, That's exactly my point! I always embrace new technology if it's an improvement on the old; but why pay extortional amount of money on a new LCD when your existing CRT gives you a better picture.
The only reason CRT is becoming exinct is due to market forces!( people walk into a shop,fall in love with artificial picture and spacesaving looks - and who wouldn't!- CRT suddenly becomes no go area- have you noticed lack of CRT's in electrical stores)
Problem is quality issue only arises when you set up tv at home!

joobam

Membro Regular
Reaction score
Website
www.joobam.com
My Satellite Setup
Head 5000 pvr
Plasma Lg
Dvd rw Lg
amplificador audiolab 8000A
colunas tannoy
My Location
Portugal

Best European televisor award (2005)
Pion**r pdp-436rxe/sxe 43"

But lcd are getting much better.

P.S.
Sorry for my english

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
You can't beat CRTs, ALL flat panels are currently inferior (and MUCH more expensive), we could have had HD CRT sets for about the same price as SD - they'd already been developed (I've seen them), and there's no particular problem about a 30 Khz line frequency - but there seems to be a conspiracy (cartel? restrictive practice?) to make only much more expensive flat screens available.

(You can also repair a CRT display, and even put in a new tube - panel changing is impossible in flatscreen sets - although I accept that, in practice, this would be too expensive and you'd just buy a new set!).

Here's a review, although - of course - it's just one particular make of CRT HD:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/crtdisplays/105toshiba/ .

Here's an interesting discussion in another forum:
-http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=51647 .

(added), as mhku says, in post below this one, although crt hd are hard to get in uk, some are available!

Here's the samsung, nice price! -http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FMRXPI/wwwdealticouk-21/ref=nosim .

hmmmm ....... there's also a new type of display technology about to appear, SED.
http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/sed_tvs.htm .

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Samsung HD CRT:

samsung_hd_crt_2.jpg

_http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/13/samsung_hd_ready_crt_tv/

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
good2talk said:
It seems the Prophessor has not seen any recent models. All the comments you have given or of old models. LCD has now improved a lot. In some cases it got better than Plasma. I would say many of the major brands are better than last year. Some people do not like new technology! It is difficult to convince them.
I still disagree with you. :p I've seen the new models from philips, lowe, sony, samsung, lg, grundig, etc, and still think this new wave of lcds is worst than any cheap ass plasma or crt tv. The only good thing i noticed was the glossy screen on some of the new panels, and yes it does improve a lot the image quality but its still far from being as good as crt or plasma.
Embracing new tchnology is not a problem for me, i will gladdly accept new technology as long as its better than the old, this is not the case. Just another thing that cames to my mind... what about the dead pixels and the dead pixel policy of the manufacturers? Its a non issue with plasmas and crts.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Prophessor said:
I still disagree with you. :p I've seen the new models from philips, lowe, sony, samsung, lg, grundig, etc, and still think this new wave of lcds is worst than any cheap ass plasma or crt tv. The only good thing i noticed was the glossy screen on some of the new panels, and yes it does improve a lot the image quality but its still far from being as good as crt or plasma.
Embracing new tchnology is not a problem for me, i will gladdly accept new technology as long as its better than the old, this is not the case. Just another thing that cames to my mind... what about the dead pixels and the dead pixel policy of the manufacturers? Its a non issue with plasmas and crts.

Additionally, with LCD panels there is the problem with 'always on' sub-pixel failure. With my Hyundai PC monitor replacement, I ended up buying, replacing and finally testing in the store FIVE of them before I was happy. (The display model didn't have the problem). Acceptible sub-pixel failure (before warranty claim) was/is actually '3' sub-pixels for a 19". Hehehe. I call that German service :eek: They probably thought I was just another mad foreigner :-Nooo

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
[edit] Sorry Long post..

Laser tech panels are the latest WIP (Work in Progress), but, the last time I tried to catch-up on SED - it seems that they have yet to hit the market (some might remember I wrote about SED panels yonks ago). Mass production in 2006 they said?? Me thinks that manufacturers are so up their ass making a packet out of LCD's - they simply can't be bothered.

Some of you might have noticed that I referred to LCD panels (with a tuner) in my poll. Maybe I should have made that more prominent ;-) One poster saw through half of my rouse. It is true (I would say fact), that LCD's with inbuilt DVB-T tuners are NOT living up to the HD/DVD promo tests in stores (unless the store is dumb enough to hook-up the rf and 'demo' the potential of the panel with shit SD-DVBT). SD-DVD demos look bad enough and IMHO, while HD eliminates (rather gets round the limitations of LCD panels) - it still looks odd.

For once in my life, that day in the store, I looked at a PHILIPS :-Nooo CRT HD and thought "ummm" that pic looks good - then I saw the list of processing crap - stood back and collected myself and maintained that I WOULD still like to save for a DLP HD projector, LOL.

The quality of ALL current LCD's and Plasmas is appauling in every respect. In fact, all of my gripes have been well expressed here - especially, by Professor ;)

The only thing I have found with LCD panels is that the cheaper the model is - the better the image quality seems to get [read: less patented pixel jiggery-pokery - the better the picture]. Sic. The flipside is that the cheaper models usually look like pants in terms of styling.