Legality of a Dreambox

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Computer - Windows 7, CuteFTP, FlashWizard
My Location
Bromley, London
Hi Guys,

I have a question, well a pondering of sorts. If it is illegal to view sky programing via a chipped/dreambox etc. then how do people use dreambox's or other boxes to watch sky TV/programing. I don't get it! or am I just being dumb??

thank you

M

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its perfectly legal to use your own subscription card in them. :D

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Not sure what you don't get.

Just beacuse its illegal, it doesn't stop people doing it does it. Secondly there are plenty of other channels to watch, not just Sky. The advice is and always has been, if you want to watch sky, get a subscription.

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Computer - Windows 7, CuteFTP, FlashWizard
My Location
Bromley, London
Ok, thank you guys, sorry for being dumb them

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Dreamboxes are used in two ways to view subscription channels.

The first is to use your own legally paid for subscription card where the Dbox emulates the CAM required. Just about the only way you can view $ly channels away from their lobotomised offerings as there is no separate CAM available for the UK flavour of NDS Videoguard. You will find help here for doing this.

Then there is card sharing. You pay a third party for services over the Internet and discussion of this on the forum is ABSOLUTELY forbidden. Please don't go down this route as it is illegal and you stand a very good chance of being ripped off without chance of refund or, worse, when the web site is busted by the authorities a visit from the Police.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello, if you have a card and paying for something how is this ever illegal?
or its in a sky box or a dream box that may have better picture or works better or what ever.
the bottom line is you are paying for it ans using it.

Irrelevant stuff removed - admin

ralph

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Ralph

I don't think anybody in this thread has said that using your own card is illegal. It might be against the card provider's conditions and, if they ever found out, they might switch the card off but this is a civil matter.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Okay then, I have a sky card in a sky plus box and I pay sky in the UK. What advantage is there of putting my card in a dream box ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can set up the channel lists just how you like without haveing all the dross in there ;)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Webif too. more info than you can shake a stick at. Entitlements for one.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
But I have a 7 day epg, synopsis , tv guide split into different categories and series link on my sky plus box. What more is there ? Where can I get more info ?

A nonymous

Reaction score
The main reason why most people buy a Dreambox is so you can share your card with somebody else and they can share there card with you.

They can and will do everything that was mentioned above also. They are not a plug and play box, they can takes months to figure out just the basics. I've had a Dreambox or linux derivitive for the last four years and even now i am still finding out new things every day.

Its not a box for the inexperienced. I have 3 Sky boxes all of which have been sat in the loft for the last six months as i just don't use them. Whats the point when my Vu+ Duo will read the card. You can also download 7 day epgs for certain providers from the addons panel.

The Dreambox is infinately customisable as there are that many images out there all of which have different quirks and addons :D

As far as i am aware as long as no money exchanges hands sharing is not illegal, although i may be wrong on that, its just what i have read on other forums.

Nano

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
nanochickin said:
As far as i am aware as long as no money exchanges hands sharing is not illegal, although i may be wrong on that, its just what i have read on other forums.

Nano
Absolute rubbish - if you have not paid the broadcaster for the services you are receiving it is purely and simply theft. What do you not understand about that?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Fair enough. But illegal or not. If someone has a choice of paying s*y 70-80 pounds a month for the full pack with HD ,espn etc or getting the same on a dreambox for less than half price,and throw in nearly all packages from Hotbird(worth well over a thousand a year), then you know what people will do. Basically, someone saves a lot of money and someone makes a lot of money from one card.
I know its not condoned on this site but there are loads of tips and links on this site as well as the oldies about fun cards ,gamma cards etc
(And for the record. I am not involved with c/s or programmable cards. Most of my customers have original s*y cards and subscribe to s*y, using uk addresses).
But how come OSN and ADsports have found a way to beat c/s(or so I am led to believe) but s*y and other european providers are prone to c/s ?

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Zorba said:
Okay then, I have a sky card in a sky plus box and I pay sky in the UK. What advantage is there of putting my card in a dream box ?

The biggy you get from a dreambox that you don`t get with a sky+ box is you can record over lan to a PC and then watch back from the PC over lan, you can burn recorded content to dvd, use it as a media player to watch movies and listen to music from the PC.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Absolute rubbish - if you have not paid the broadcaster for the services you are receiving it is purely and simply theft. What do you not understand about that?

I understand clearly the laws of this country thank you very much!!!! I pay a full cost for the subscription that i use. If i wish to share it to somebody for free i myself am not breaking any laws. I am mearly breaking the terms and conditions of my provider, which would be a civil matter not criminal.

I know of about 10 people whos cards were switched off by Sky last year for sharing. Not one of them has had an repercussions from it. A couple of snotty letters and thats about it.

The person who is opening the channels from my card may well be breaking the law but i am not.

Hope that puts it into perspective to you, and there's no need to be so snotty in future davemurgtroyd!!!!!

Nano