Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Hi Guys,

Is there any software for Linux which can give me signal readings (more detailed that percentage) for a DVB-T / T2 signal in realtime?
This is for the purposes of fine tuning an indoor antenna.
As I only have a PC with Linux I don't wish to go down the external meter, raspberry pi or Linux stb route.
Current hardware is the Xbox one usb tuner.
So far I have found Kaffeine but this is not ideal.

Kind regards
statalite

Last edited:

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
More about the Xbox tuner component information which maybe relevant.
I'm also using Linux Mint 20.
Kaffeine currently gives decibels on one already tuned in channel, which isn't any use if I don't have enough signal to tune in. I know one mux is borderline signal for me.
I have found this thread relating to TBS cards, maybe @CrazyCat can help? :)

Last edited:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Disconnect all nearby unneeded DC power supplies, the type that comes with anything electronic these days -when I tried to setup an indoor aerial I found it was these that were pumping out interference all over the place. Even the PSU that came with the aerial caused trouble. In the end I found powering the aerial from a USB socket on the TV worked best.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
A cheap RTL-SDR dongle would give you a live spectrum I believe... not an area I'm well versed in so don't take my word for it :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
updateDVB has a decent go at showing quality values in dB.

Of course that's on a single channel, so may not be suitable for continuous signal checking. I can check if the signal changes whilst on the channel.

474MHz Ch21_1.JPG

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Disconnect all nearby unneeded DC power supplies, the type that comes with anything electronic these days -when I tried to setup an indoor aerial I found it was these that were pumping out interference all over the place. Even the PSU that came with the aerial caused trouble. In the end I found powering the aerial from a USB socket on the TV worked best.

Thanks but this is still the case with nothing else connected. Good advice though.

A cheap RTL-SDR dongle would give you a live spectrum I believe... not an area I'm well versed in so don't take my word for it :)

This is the type of cost I'm trying to avoid. I have satellite so it's not crucial my terrestrial reception works but would like it too. :)

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands

Of course that's on a single channel, so may not be suitable for continuous signal checking. I can check if the signal changes whilst on the channel.

View attachment 132703

Regardless I will give it a go, getting it going will be challenging I feel but worth a go. Thank you.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands

View attachment 132703

I can see I'm going to struggle with setting this up. I should mention that I have very basic Linux command knowledge.7
I went here under the installation section
I'm stuck at the v4l-updatelee-master stage, I have downloaded the dependencies using
sudo apt-get install git build-essential linux-headers-generic \ ncurses-dev libproc-processtable-perl fakeroot libelf-dev libssl-dev \ bison flex pigz pkg-config
then I did the smaller repository
git clone --depth 1 https://gitlab.com/updatelee/v4l-updatelee.git
, but not the debs bit,
changed the folder
cd v4l-updatelee
when I go to the next bit about compiling (I have 4 cores)
sudo make -j4 deb-pkg
I get this error
Code:
Makefile:609: include/config/auto.conf: No such file or directory
Makefile:655: include/config/auto.conf.cmd: No such file or directory
*** Configuration file ".config" not found!
*** Please run some configurator (e.g. "make oldconfig" or
*** "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig").
Makefile:658: recipe for target '.config' failed
make: *** [.config] Error 1
Can you see where / how I have gone wrong?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
I can see I'm going to struggle with setting this up. I should mention that I have very basic Linux command knowledge.7
I'm stuck at the v4l-updatelee-master stage, I have downloaded the dependencies using
sudo apt-get install git build-essential linux-headers-generic \ ncurses-dev libproc-processtable-perl fakeroot libelf-dev libssl-dev \ bison flex pigz pkg-config
, but not the debs bit,
changed the folder
cd v4l-updatelee
sudo make -j4 deb-pkg
I get this error
Code:
I'll look at that ASAP statalite. A little busy ATM

te

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
, but not the debs bit,
changed the folder
cd v4l-updatelee
sudo make -j4 deb-pkg
I get this error
Code:
Leave that and use the DEB files, which are precompiled updatelee packages.

Download the last three debs (headers, image and libs).

Unpack and copy to your Home folder using Terminal command dpkg -i linux-headers-5.4.54-udl+_5.4.54-udl+-2_amd64.deb (other two debs similarly).

Let us know if that gets you a file called udl-updatelee placed in your home folder. Then you just need the updateDVB application.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Leave that and use the DEB files, which are precompiled updatelee packages.

Download the last three debs (headers, image and libs).

Unpack and copy to your Home folder using Terminal command dpkg -i linux-headers-5.4.54-udl+_5.4.54-udl+-2_amd64.deb (other two debs similarly).

Let us know if that gets you a file called udl-updatelee placed in your home folder. Then you just need the updateDVB application.

I have now downloaded the 3 DEB files. I opened them using the GUI package manager, figured it was the same.
The package manager said all three were already installed.
I have the v4l-updatelee folder in my home folder, did you mean v4l?
The updateDVB program I get from here? download the compressed file then how do I install?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I have now downloaded the 3 DEB files. I opened them using the GUI package manager, figured it was the same.
The package manager said all three were already installed.
I have the v4l-updatelee folder in my home folder, did you mean v4l?
The updateDVB program I get from here? download the compressed file then how do I install?
Sorry, yes v4l-updatelee.
deb files for updateDVB here, bottom three (not the tar file)
I haven't used these, I compiled the app before the deb files became available, so I'll be interested to know if they get you the app.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Sorry, yes v4l-updatelee.
deb files for updateDVB here, bottom three (not the tar file)
I haven't used these, I compiled the app before the deb files became available, so I'll be interested to know if they get you the app.

I followed your link and looked at the DEB files, instead of the 3 files that looked similar to the previous link, I tried the top one, this again said already installed, I was surprised but I typed in updateDVB into the start menu and it comes up as a program. I started updateDVB but cannot get it to work, I think I have configured it correctly, but no graphs or readings.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-09-21 20-08-17.png
    Screenshot from 2020-09-21 20-08-17.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot from 2020-09-21 20-13-02.png
    Screenshot from 2020-09-21 20-13-02.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot from 2020-09-21 20-15-32.png
    Screenshot from 2020-09-21 20-15-32.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 10

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I followed your link and looked at the DEB files, instead of the 3 files that looked similar to the previous link, I tried the top one, this again said already installed, I was surprised but I typed in updateDVB into the start menu and it comes up as a program. I started updateDVB but cannot get it to work, I think I have configured it correctly, but no graphs or readings.
My TBS T/T2 tuner's out of the PC at the mo. if I don't have time to replace it tonight to check my updateDVB settings against yours, It'll have to be tomorrow.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just sorting some PC gremlins at present, I have updateDVB running but the video driver's messing up my display.
Anyway, your settings appear to be OK, same as mine apart from tuner type.

What's different in your third pic is that you don't have the Spectrum Scan button (see my pic), so you can't scan the spectrum. I've had that problem myself on one that I built a while ago. I'll try to think what I had to do, I think I just rebuilt he app.

updateDVB Spectrum.png

Last edited:

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
@Llew
When you say tuner type do you mean DVBT or tuner name, as I can see you are using the DVBT option, so the same as me?

I think I messed everything up, from memory in the v4l folder I did a command to make modules like here but this took ages and I couldn't do the next bit make modules_install and now when I load the program it says no adapter found so I messed it up I think. Do you know how I can start fresh without reinstalling the whole OS?

Last edited:

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
When you say tuner type do you mean DVBT or tuner name, as I can see you are using the DVBT option, so the same as me?

I think I messed everything up, from memory in the v4l folder I did a command to make modules like here but this took ages and I couldn't do the next bit make modules_install and now when I load the program it says no adapter found so I messed it up I think. Do you know how I can start fresh without reinstalling the whole OS?
Yes, DVBT like you, I haven't bothered with naming the tuner.

Remove v4l-updatelee folder with Terminal using rm -r v4l-updatelee, then redo it, but you don't need to make modules, that's only if you're updating.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Yes, DVBT like you, I haven't bothered with naming the tuner.

Remove v4l-updatelee folder with Terminal using rm -r v4l-updatelee, then redo it, but you don't need to make modules, that's only if you're updating.

I'm going to have to reinstall the OS anyway as my usbs and sound have gone also. Hopefully back up and running shortly and can try again fresh.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm going to have to reinstall the OS anyway as my usbs and sound have gone also. Hopefully back up and running shortly and can try again fresh.
Snap. I have problems too with updateDVB on the PC it's currently on. So - a fresh OS to install.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Snap. I have problems too with updateDVB on the PC it's currently on. So - a fresh OS to install.
I'm having an absolute nightmare, the SanDisk sad I use I normally 'sanitize' it using their own software for some reason it refuses to do this it has worked in the past so completely baffled. The same software also refuses to create a sanitize boot usb. I give up. Have been able to wipe with aoemi, never used before but has done something to wipe it seemingly. Don't know if the drive is defective, doubt it. Just wish I setup a timeshift system restore in mint then I wouldn't have had these problems. You live and learn.