Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
How is your updateDVB not working, is it temperamental?
Maybe you can find out the easiest way to install so I can follow :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I hadn't used it for ages, screenshot I showed earler with the dBs came from it, but trying today I can't tune any channel I choose from the spectrum. No Idea why.

I'll do it this way (tomorrow now) with the debs here -

Bitbucket these include v4l-updatelee and updatelee.

If no go, I'll do it the long way, building from scratch. I'll let you know how I get on.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The updateDVB on Bluzee's Bitbucket version is not much use - it give percentages instead of dB's. Furthermore it doesn't even show the mux frequency!

I'll try and find the version I originally used. I suspect that was the one I built with QT - Bitbucket

mupdateDVB Flawed.png

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
@statalite
I have sourced the latest updateDVB binary which I can find that has dB values that vary according to signal quality whilst on the chosen channel.

If you have the three udl debs installed already in your distro (udl · master · bill murphy / kernel-dvb-pkgs)

You just need the updateDVB deb

wget hxxps://bitbucket.org/majortom/updatedvb/downloads/updatedvb_1-1_amd64.deb (live link, so change xx to tt)

sudo dpkg -i updatedvb_1-1_amd64.deb

If when you double click on updateDVB in Applications and nothing happens (as happened with me), you may be missing a couple of library files. So -

In Terminal: ldd ./updateDVB | grep "not found"

may show any missing libs. If so, sudo apt-get install them, and you should be good to go.

The Blindscan for T/T2 doesn't do anything for me and Spectrum Scan is not available in the menu. You just click on a mux frequency on the Spectrum graph (doesn't have to be spot on the intended frequency), and it will bring up the screen to show the program numbers being found, and dB values.
Click on a program and then the Play button. VLC wasn't playng for me, so I obtained mplayer from Synaptic package manager and changed vlc for mplayer: To change in UpdateDVB, click on File-Settings-General, and in there, change vlc for mplayer in /usr/bin/vlc /dev/dvb/adapter.

522MHz.jpg

Frequency grab.png

Last edited:

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Snap. I have problems too with updateDVB on the PC it's currently on. So - a fresh OS to install.
@statalite
I have sourced the latest updateDVB binary which I can find that has dB values that vary according to signal quality whilst on the chosen channel.

If you have the three udl debs installed already in your distro (udl · master · bill murphy / kernel-dvb-pkgs)

wget hxxps://bitbucket.org/majortom/updatedvb/downloads/updatedvb_1-1_amd64.deb (live link, so change xx to tt)

If when you double click on updateDVB in Applications and nothing happens (as happened with me), you may be missing a couple of library files. So -

may show any missing libs. If so, sudo apt-get install them, and you should be good to go.

The Blindscan for T/T2 doesn't do anything for me and Spectrum Scan is not available in the menu. You just click on a mux frequency on the Spectrum graph (doesn't have to be spot on the intended frequency), and it will bring up the screen to show the program numbers being found, and dB values.
Click on a program and then the Play button. VLC wasn't playng for me, so I obtained mplayer from Synaptic package manager and changed vlc for mplayer: To change in UpdateDVB, click on File-Settings-General, and in there, change vlc for mplayer in /usr/bin/vlc /dev/dvb/adapter.

View attachment 132732

View attachment 132733

Thank you very much for your efforts, I will give this a try this evening and will report back.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
@statalite

View attachment 132732ldd
sudo dpkg -i updatedvb_1-1_amd64.deb.1
(Reading database ... 366642 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack updatedvb_1-1_amd64.deb.1 ...
Unpacking updatedvb (1-1) over (1-1) ...
Setting up updatedvb (1-1) ...

./updateDVB | grep "not found"

View attachment 132733

Ok first time I didnt install the DEBs, thought I would already have them clearly not.
First time i downloaded and dpkg but no program, so went to install DEB, said broken package, so removed updateDVB broken package using package manager.
Installed the 3 DEBs / making sure they were installed, downloaded again updateDVB, this showed in terminal this time as Saving to: ‘updatedvb_1-1_amd64.deb.1’
then adjusting sudo dpkg: sudo dpkg -i updatedvb_1-1_amd64.deb.1 (Reading database ... 366642 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to unpack updatedvb_1-1_amd64.deb.1 ... Unpacking updatedvb (1-1) over (1-1) ... Setting up updatedvb (1-1) ...
but nothing no updateDVB in the start menu, nothing in applications, nothing? Can you help?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Is this a new distro install? You may need to update the kernel.

sudo apt update

Then some dependencies

sudo apt-get install git build-essential subversion libgl1-mesa-dev mesa-common-dev libqwt-qt5-dev

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Is this a new distro install? You may need to update the kernel.

sudo apt update

Then some dependencies

sudo apt-get install git build-essential subversion libgl1-mesa-dev mesa-common-dev libqwt-qt5-dev

Yes new Mint 20 fresh install.
sudo apt update
Entered and updated.
Entered with the following truncated response: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done libqwt-qt5-dev is already the newest version (6.1.4-1.1build1). libqwt-qt5-dev set to manually installed. libgl1-mesa-dev is already the newest version (20.0.8-0ubuntu1~20.04.1). libgl1-mesa-dev set to manually installed. mesa-common-dev is already the newest version (20.0.8-0ubuntu1~20.04.1). mesa-common-dev set to manually installed. The following additional packages will be installed: g++ g++-9 git-man libapr1 libaprutil1 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libcrypt-dev liberror-perl libserf-1-1 libstdc++-9-dev libsvn1 libutf8proc2 Suggested packages: g++- Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done libqwt-qt5-dev is already the newest version (6.1.4-1.1build1). libqwt-qt5-dev set to manually installed. libgl1-mesa-dev is already the newest version (20.0.8-0ubuntu1~20.04.1). libgl1-mesa-dev set to manually installed. mesa-common-dev is already the newest version (20.0.8-0ubuntu1~20.04.1). mesa-common-dev set to manually installed. The following additional packages will be installed: g++ g++-9 git-man libapr1 libaprutil1 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libcrypt-dev liberror-perl libserf-1-1 libstdc++-9-dev libsvn1 libutf8proc2 Suggested packages: g++-multilib g++-9-multilib gcc-9-doc git-daemon-run | git-daemon-sysvinit git-doc git-el git-email git-gui gitk gitweb git-cvs git-mediawiki git-svn glibc-doc libstdc++-9-doc db5.3-util libapache2-mod-svn subversion-tools The following NEW packages will be installed build-essential g++ g++-9 git git-man libapr1 libaprutil1 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libcrypt-dev liberror-perl libserf-1-1 libstdc++-9-dev libsvn1 libutf8proc2 subversion 0 to upgrade, 16 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade. Need to get 20.6 MB of archives. After this operation, 116 MB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y multilib g++-9-multilib gcc-9-doc git-daemon-run | git-daemon-sysvinit git-doc git-el git-email git-gui gitk gitweb git-cvs git-mediawiki git-svn glibc-doc libstdc++-9-doc db5.3-util libapache2-mod-svn subversion-tools The following NEW packages will be installed build-essential g++ g++-9 git git-man libapr1 libaprutil1 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libcrypt-dev liberror-perl libserf-1-1 libstdc++-9-dev libsvn1 libutf8proc2 subversion 0 to upgrade, 16 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade. Need to get 20.6 MB of archives. After this operation, 116 MB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

But nothing in the start menu as a result.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
If it's installed it will be in /usr/bin

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sorry, /usr/local/bin

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Sorry, /usr/local/bin
It is there, loaded updateDVB, setting up as before but no spectrum again, behaviour as before, lack of options.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
What happens when you place your cursor anywhere on the spectrum graph? It should show any frequency depending on where you have the cursor. As in my screenshot

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
What happens when you place your cursor anywhere on the spectrum graph? It should show any frequency depending on where you have the cursor. As in my screenshot
It gives coordinated in green colour.
No graph like I said.
If I click on the exact frequency it searches an locks and does display.
If I blind scan it does not pick up the T2 muxes (Regardless of QAM256), but it does pick them up if I use the spectrum way.
dB is shown as per screenshot but no (QAM Auto, just a test), strength percentage (I shouldnt worry about?)
Thank you.
Any Idea's on why no graph or T2 on blind scan?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-09-24 22-56-40.png
    Screenshot from 2020-09-24 22-56-40.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 7

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Should show strength (see my screenshot). In Menu, I had DVB-T2 and Qam Auto. Doesn't seem to matter what you have there though.

Blindscan doesn't work for me for some reason.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Should show strength (see my screenshot). In Menu, I had DVB-T2 and Qam Auto. Doesn't seem to matter what you have there though.

Blindscan doesn't work for me for some reason.
I'm not sure if strength will tell me anything more than dB.
You say you had to go to the older version to get dB? Mystery as to why the developer would remove this, I wonder if newer version for me would make everything work, but as you say maybe no dB scale.
Odd that blind scan doesn't work for you but graph does.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm not sure if strength will tell me anything more than dB.
You say you had to go to the older version to get dB? Mystery as to why the developer would remove this, I wonder if newer version for me would make everything work, but as you say maybe no dB scale.
Odd that blind scan doesn't work for you but graph does.
It's a project originated by Chris Lee and carried on by two or three guys on the US site Rick's Wildfeed forum. I hesitate to send members over to other forums, but as there is an updateDVB thread there that may well be of interest and where they may well be able to answer anything more technical than I can offer at the moment, you may find it interesting to check the thread in the Computer section there.

Going back to your original post, is the app going to be of any use for checking your aerial etc?

Last edited:

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
It's a project originated by Chris Lee and carried on by two or three guys on the US site Rick's Wildfeed forum. I hesitate to send members over to other forums, but as there is an updateDVB thread there that may well be of interest and where they may well be able to answer anything more technical than I can offer at the moment, you may find it interesting to check the thread in the Computer section there.

Going back to your original post, is the app going to be of any use for checking your aerial etc?
Yes it will satisfy the original requirement, thank you. :)

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands

I just wanted to thank you once again, I used this as intended, it helped me test my signal before relocating my bracket. It's given me enough usable signal (around 30db) and has stabilised my reception. :-clap^_^

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I just wanted to thank you once again, I used this as intended, it helped me test my signal before relocating my bracket. It's given me enough usable signal (around 30db) and has stabilised my reception. :-clap^_^
Glad it's of use. Just added a T/T2 USB stick to my Raspberry Pi UpdateDVB version, and it has the Spectrum tab for doing a scan. Blindscan too.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Stupidly I wiped my drive and forgot about this software.
I need to re install it again for myself and to help a friend out, for the life of me I cannot get it going again.
I have been over this thread more this than I have had hot meals.

So far I have installed the pre-packaged updateDVB DEB, updated the dependencies.
It asks before this to install kernel 5.4.2, I try to install these 3 DEBs
Code:
linux-libc-dev_5.4.2-udl-1_amd64.deb
linux-headers-5.4.2-udl_5.4.2-udl-1_amd64.deb
linux-image-5.4.2-udl_5.4.2-udl-1_amd64.deb
but it says its already installed, when I try to change to use this it only has 5.4.0 and 5.8.0 in my list.
I am running Mint 20.
Idea's welcome.