pspbricker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
Sky box
80cm motorised dish
My Location
E. Sussex
Just got the Passion +, pleased with the receiver but I'm having an EXTREMELY annoying problem. I have connected my dish to the Passion+ and my Sky box via LNB out on the Passion plus. Exactly 60 secs after I start to watch Sky, the picture freezes on the Sky box. If I turn the Passion + on then off again, the picture is back on - for 60 secs! I never had this problem with my previous receiver (Maxplus 2100).
Any ideas/similar problems? Can anyone confirm that they use their lnb loopthrough without problems so i can track down the culprit?

G

The SkyBox can't exercise full and correct control of the LNB (Band and Polarity switching) unless the Passion is in Standby.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
You find that some receivers are happy using loop through and some not- especially Sky boxes.

It's often a case of trial and error. Some actually need switching off completely or always cause some signal interaction or loss on/off or on standby... where others will even both run together on the same bands/polarities without any noticeable signal loss.

If it is the case that it just doesn't like it, consider using a manual switch.

pspbricker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
Sky box
80cm motorised dish
My Location
E. Sussex
Thanks Rai Uno - however, the P + is in standby when the problems occur. Since then, I figured out that the 60 sec problem happens when the P+ is in standby, but when the P+ is powered on and on "Bid TV" (go figure), then the Sky box works fine. I guess it'll have to do for now - anyone else have similar problems?

G

pspbricker said:
Thanks Rai Uno - however, the P + is in standby when the problems occur. Since then, I figured out that the 60 sec problem happens when the P+ is in standby, but when the P+ is powered on and on "Bid TV" (go figure), then the Sky box works fine. I guess it'll have to do for now - anyone else have similar problems?

Not had a problem feeding other non-SkyBoxes via IF Loop, but then again SkyBoxes are rather crude.

Couldn't you just upgrade your LNB to accommodate any and all Tuners you are minded to use?

Or, if you don't plan on using the P+ and the SkyBox at the same time, bung an A/B Cable Isolation Switch in? (I have several of those and they are great. Clunky, and simple enough that my better half can operate them!

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that Pedro has already covered this ground - but he's right (Of course!).

pspbricker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
Sky box
80cm motorised dish
My Location
E. Sussex
Think it might be "a quirk" with the P+ as you say - it (the sky box) worked fine with previous boxes using lnb loopthrough. Now I've got it so that if I turn the P+ on and off a number of times, the display shows "on" (as opposed to the channel name) and things are fine. Think I might try to downgrade the firmware to see if that changes things. Thanks to all.