LNB QUESTION

Demonknight666

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q
My Location
Derby
Hi,
I’m about to move house and the existing setup has this Octo-LNB already on the house. It says Sky on it.

Previous owner used it for Free-SAT and had Sky many years ago but probably not Q, I’ll be bringing my Q box over.

Will I need Sky out to change the LNB or will it work as is.

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_7725.jpeg
    IMG_7725.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

jno

Reaction score
My Location
Burgenland, Austria
If my understanding is correct, Q uses a Wideband LNB. If what you have there doesn't say Wideband on it then you'll need to change to one that does for Q features.

There is also a hybrid lnb that allows both Sky Q and standard Sky HD at the same time ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Visiblewave-Hybrid-Output-Wideband-Freesat/dp/B07GS1Z2YP ) - if you use something like this then you could keep (some of) your 8 cables that are clearly providing flexibility to different receivers around the property already, for freesat etc. in different rooms (I would assume).

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As jno mentions, Sky Q will only work with a wideband LNB or an SCR feed (for IRS setups in apartment blocks). If you require other satellite receivers outside your Q main box and minis, then use a Hybrid as suggested above, otherwise, isolate the two cables to your main room for the main Q box and fit a two output Wideband LNB.

Demonknight666

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q
My Location
Derby
Thanks all, I’m almost sure the current setup isn’t compatible with SKY Q, I don’t require the extra feeds into other rooms so I’ll get Sky in to install a new LNB.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks all, I’m almost sure the current setup isn’t compatible with SKY Q, I don’t require the extra feeds into other rooms so I’ll get Sky in to install a new LNB.
Sky's lead time for dish work can be quite long, any local aerial or satellite guy can do it, or if you have access to a ladder, you can do it yourself quite easily.

Demonknight666

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q
My Location
Derby
Sky's lead time for dish work can be quite long, any local aerial or satellite guy can do it, or if you have access to a ladder, you can do it yourself quite easily.
Thanks, it’s a House move so I’ll be booking in 8 weeks in advance but I’ll keep that in mind.