Loading image to flybox 500s A little help requested

lezb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion m3 combo/clarke tech2000/kaon pvr 1.2 with actuator 85cm motorized42 E to30W
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain
Please can you help,I have the box listed in the title with a Pli image loaded to update same am I required to erase the original image or is the new Pli image capable of erasing before installing the up dated image.Have read the Idiots guide s but they are quite old and am still unsure as they lead me to belive I should or should not erase the original image 1st depending on which guide you care to belive.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Begs the question why are you changing the image?

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
When flashing a Dreambox or clone there is no need to delete the original image, just load the new one and it will overwrite the original.

Make sure you have the right image for your box and go for it.

lezb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion m3 combo/clarke tech2000/kaon pvr 1.2 with actuator 85cm motorized42 E to30W
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain
Thanks for the replies guys,I am a complete novice @ this game ie DB The image realease I have installed is :-
1.9.01.2008 so I guess by now there is something better out there. Thats my reasoning anyhow.I dont know but thats the way I see it.
Thanks for the info clarification Andy appreciated is that Newcastle on Tyne if so Its the place I was born ,Shieldfield .

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
To be honest if an image does what you want it to then theres no reason to change it - my 7020 has a 4 year version of Gemini on it and it works just fine.

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky 1.5 m FTE dish Amiko Alien SHD8900 receiver, Gigablue Quad
& 80cm dish for Nilesat or badr with Amstrad sky receiver
Dreambox 500s motsat3 motor
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Hi Lezb
The most reliable way to flash is with dreamup, (assuming the flybox 500 is the same as a dreambox 500s) there is a option to flash erase, takes a bit longer though but is very stable..You have to use this method if you flash a bad image or your box doesnt reboot after flashing... The only thing is you have to use a null modem cable..What are you using at the moment flash wizard pro?

lezb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain
Again my thanks go out to you for your time and effort in helping me with my problems (Questions)My real problem is all my past boxes have been plug and play and I am having difficulty in grasping the basic fundamentals of the linux system BUT I will endevour to learn and read and digest.My problem is I had assumed that like the plug and play that new firmware is required on a regular basis,got that wrong I guess.Truth is the more I read the more I become confused.I am basically looking to set up my box to run via a motor over a range of sats for FTA and any emus that may be available but I am confused as to how or where the I get the information to place in the required folders.I don,t even know if what I am asking makes sense as like I said my overall perception cloudy to say the least.I had intended to use dream up for uploading and I am aware of the method using null modem much the same as the range other box,s I have.
Analoguesat any chance of you pointing me in the direction of how to bring my exsisting release 1.9.01.2008 up to date.
Sorry if I have bored or confused you,s
thanks for all or any help you may be able provide for me.

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Depends what image you want..There are plenty out there and you just have to try them to see which one you like the look of..In the end i chose open pli, it was the most stable for what i wanted to do...ie stream movies from pc although i had great problems trying to sort out..try pli jade, i think thats a good image..You can use flash wizard pro to flash image or the method i said before..These boxes are quite complicated to use first off..but if you just want it to just watch tv then they are quite easy to set up..but if you want to do other things that the box is capable of then be prepared to do a lot of reading..One word of warning though my db500 worked ok with the motor when i first got it but soon gave up the ghost, the power supply isnt really enough to power the motor but yours might be ok..When you talk about emus are you referring to keys or cardsharing? the later we cant discuss here and the former there arnt alot available now..Let me know if you need more advice..I dont use my box a lot now but still use it to stream mp3's from my pc to my db

lezb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain
Thanks for the reply Richard,like I have tried to explain I just want to watch tv to start with then hope to learn as I accrue more knowledge the emu would be key based as i appreciate c/s is a no no on the forum.How can I add sats and transponders to my exsisting image as i learned the hard way its not as simple as with plug and play scanning .Understand what you are saying about the motorized system(I am a spark or used to be) 5amp psu is required and the exsisting is only 2 amps.I have a range of power supplies but I already have an Illusion box running a motor system with a twin LNB and will use that method for now Why ???? are there so many diffrent images and so ,many daily updated images if this is to do with card sharing please disregard this question.Why the need for regular updates of the same image once again if this is C/S disregard or is it only for diffrent skins etc?Can you point me to a sd image that i can try to load with a link if it is permitted. Just to practice uploading an image.Thanks for any advice and rest assured I will continue with my reading and try to get a better handle on the box and its capability.

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Ok you should be able to add new transponders via the sat menu, all images are different but all enigma1 images i have used are roughly the same in the sat menu, or you can download pli jade from this website (im assuming that the flybox is same as the Dreambox 500), just look under the heading 'linux based receivers' then 'plugins, images etc' or you can download it from openpli website or just search on the internet...or you could use openpli image(from openpli website) ..I imagine that the transponder list is up to date in the open pli..Or its easy to input new transponders in pli jade in the sat menu..or you can upload a .xml file to your existing image but you would need to use a ftp prog to do it. So i think just flashing a new image would be easier at the moment..As i said i used openpli in my dreambox clone with no problems..I think with openpli they have nightly builds to iron out any bugs and any other images may have regular updates for the same reason.
All images work roughly the same, they have different layouts, menu structures...different plug ins on their online menus etc but at the end of the day its personal preference...Don't get too bogged down about the linux file structure, i was convinced i would bugger it up when i first got it but once you've downloaded things a couple of times you soon get used to how it works

lezb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain
Thank you for your assistance it is becomming a bit clearer off to bed now and will ponder on my next move.
thank you for your time and effort
ftp prog???????????
something else to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
There are 3 main programes that you need
1,Dream box control centre (DCC) this is a ftp programe which enables you to transfer files into the db..i.e keys,sat lists plugins etc, once logged in to your db you can see the linux files (via ethernet)
2,Flash Wizard Pro, this is the prog i used to flash the image, make backups etc (via ethernet)
3,Dreamup, in case you flashed a bad image or something went wrong during the flash and your box wont boot..(through rs232, MUST be null modem cable)

Ok to get started you need to know the ip of your db, hopefully you can navigate round your menus in the db to find this. Look under network settings or something like that...load up flash wizard pro, click on 'configuration and utilities tab' here you will see where to enter you db's ip..Enter ip address and if applicable login and password..if it doesnt need a password leave blank..sometimes login = root..Then click on 'instal a firmware into flash memory' click on the open folder symbol and find your new image on you pc (hopefully youve already downloaded one, pli jade etc) then it should be self explanatory from here..I always made sure the 'kill enigma' box was checked..After its loaded the box should reboot, if not just turn it off and switch back on again..If the flash has worked ok it will take you through the setup of configuring your sats etc..Obviously being that a new image has been loaded it would have lost all your previous settings etc but after you have set it up you can make backups of what you have done. Hope you get on ok

lezb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain
Thanks Richard,have flashed an image without problems(Just for practice)and have had a general look around the menu,s and
read quite a lot.My internet is via the local town hall(via a TP link dongle connected to an external 15db gain anntenna) and no router is involved so am looking at how to connect the DB to the internet.I have a wifi bridge(OpenMedia)Same as the Vonet bridge and am picking up a RJ 45 crossed cable tomorrow I think that is what is required as the normal RJ 45 that I have will not give me a connection,upon reflection the crossover cable referred to in the write up I was reading may well be reference to my null modem cable,will try that out tonight to see if I can make a conn between comp/dreambox.(the last paragraph refers to trying to obtain the DB ip address using DCC to make the connection between DB/comp)
Am enjoying the learning process slow though it is , thanks once again for you input it is most welcome.See out the end of the football and will give the db connection a little more of my time.

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Hi there
Glad you managed to load a new image without any problems..Cant help im afraid with the wifi as i dont know alot about this..I used mine with a router and ethernet cable although now i have my laptop with a wifi dongle to the router and it connects without any problems for recording to the laptop etc..If you want to know your ip address of the db you can get this from net settings in your db menu..Bear in mind that if dhcp box is checked then it will have a new ip address everytime you switch it on, so uncheck the box and assign a ip address..hope this helps

lezb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain
Thanks for your reply will let you know how I get on.