Long cable runs !

n.l.b.2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60 cm. invacom 3db
My Location
Berlin Germany
Can anyone give advice to novice on long cable runs. Have just set up 1.8m dish with Invacom quatro and technisat multiswitch 5/4 in a fringe area (Berlin) .. We have all channels with 60% strenghth 50% quality.I want to share dish with my neighbour and this would mean the runs to the two houses would be one of 60m and one of 90m. And this is where the help is needed.
I intended to use quality cable .Here in germany it is rated in db and what im being offered is 120db is this good or is there better ?
Should I use an amplifier and if so can anyone reccomend one or a type and where should this be sited ?. Should this be powered or just in line taking power from (multiswitch or reciever power supply)? Will I have any compatibility problems ?
Any other tips would be very much appreciated ! thanks in advance !

N.B

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Could use line amp on your feeds but caution has to be taken not to overload your switch. I don't know what the maximum signal o/p of your switch is and signal measurements would of been of some help here :D

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Not sure what 120dB refers to, it is probably the screening. On a long cable run, the important factor is the attenuation per 100m.

The usual benchmarked '100' type cable has an attenuation of 32.5 dB per 100m, and is supposedly good for up to 30m to 40m.

The lowest attenuation benchmarked '165' type cable has an attenuaton of 22 dB per 100m. By my reckoning the '165' type should be OK for 60m without any additional components. wf165 is an example of it.

Robbo:)