Looking for bargain, know sod all!

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Basically, we're (me n family) are very much hoping to go on holiday for the first time in far too long, and we need a camcorder to prove to others we actually did go :D

Well, I thought it would be a rather good idea to buy one on Christmas Day or Boxing Day when there are sure to be bargains online left, right, and centre.

Problem is, I know next to nothing about digital photographic equipment (bit of hyperbole, but more or less accurate). I know what I want though:

* Video recording
* Still image capture (photos)
* Long as possible battery life
* Easy as possible to use
* Good size screen to see what you're doing
* Very good (as possible) quality pictures
* On-board DVD recording
* Ability to transfer still images to memory cards to be able to take to chemist/Boots to process as proper photos

Not asking for much :D I really don't want to pay more than £150, but I'm probably pushing my luck even with a sale... or am I???

So, what is a good camcorder to go for?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I don't have one but ......

you didn't mention sound
picture format ... PAL I supposed
Why do you need to process photos at a chemist when pretty cheap photoprinters have card slots in them.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Yep, PAL format, sorry I should have mentioned that.

I'm not bothered about getting a photoprinter as, mostly, after the holiday it probably won't get used that much, not for still photos anyway.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
AFAIK you just take a disc with the still images on it to the chemist or wherever and using their self-operating machines produce your own photos.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
jimbo said:
AFAIK you just take a disc with the still images on it to the chemist or wherever and using their self-operating machines produce your own photos.

Yep, that's what I intended to do. I don't really see the point in getting another printer for a more-or-less one-off use.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
i will scout the net boxing day and after, anything i find i will let you know ;)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
RedDevil_UK said:
i will scout the net boxing day and after, anything i find i will let you know ;)

That's very kind of you Red, thank you :-thumbup:-carrot

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
been having a look around, and have to be honest that nothing stands out at the moment...

maybe the January sales will be better?

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
Well I've used a traditional Sony Hi8 cam for the past years and it is reaching it's EOL. I've also bought a digital camera which can obviously take high quality pictures. Nearly all cams though can take videos too. How many pictures and how long the video will be is of course a trade off between how much memory you've put in the thing and what sort of quality you've set it to. For family snaps I find 1megapixel is sufficient and you can easily get a couple of hundred of these before memory is full. Once memory is full you have 2 choices, swap the memory chip for an empty one or download to your laptop and empty it. The good thing about "memory only" devices is that they have very few mechanical / moving parts and are pretty small in size. Also pay some attention to the lens of whatever you decide to buy. Personally I prefer "wider lenses" which give you a more "panoramic" photo especially for near shots. Looking at your original post you'd like long battery life and good size screen. Well the thing that most reduces your battery is the screen and the bigger the screen the more power it uses. So, my advice would be don't let the screen be a factor in your choise, as inevitably when you're running out of battery you will use the viewfinder anyway. Secondly the screen is always too small to actually enjoy viewing the results. If you do however go for a model with a screen (nearly all have em now), choose one that the screen rotates. This is usefull if you need to take a shot from a weird angle, like perhaps holding the camera above your head ... at a school play. Lastly, ask about an accessory to charge the batteries from your car lighter. I find it usefull on day trips. Random thoughts which might help you choose.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
That's some really great advice koansrc, thanks :-Cbigsmil