shamone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + Duo, Mut@nt HD51, Icone Wegoo,
1.3M Dish, Technomate TM-2600 Super,
Inverto Black Ultra 0.2dB LNB, 53E - 30W + Fixed Zone 2 on 28E,19E,13E
My Location
N.E UK
Hi all I am new to the sat world and have been reading through lots of forums and posts to get the general idea of what is required.
I am looking at setting a motorised system up for 1w - anything on east I can get.
I have attached a picture of my location on dishpointer for 1w.
I am looking at locating the dish on my out house as shown in the picture as my house is on a stupid angle it looks like the best place for the dish.
My question is would this be a suitable location and would I be able to pick up Thor, as it is high on the arc?
If not would I still be able to set up a dish and use a different satellite to set the motor up correctly?

Attachments

• location.jpg
    location.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 133

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Whether you can see 1W over the roof would depend on the elevation angle from the dish to the top of the roof. If its more than 27 you won't.

Can you put it further down your garden on a pole, then maybe you would get some western sats too.

The best position for the dish looks to be the southern gable end looking over the roof. It will be very high up though.

Yes, you can set it up without 1W, but you want to try and get as much of the arc as possible.

shamone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N.E UK
Thanks for the quick reply Robbo.

The trees/bushes further down the garden are much bigger now and would probably get in the way of the dish.

The angle from that location to the other house roof is probably more than 27 so I could be out of luck for 1W.

I was looking to get a Dreambox 500 and a technomate motor with a 1M dish as a starting setup. What is the maximum cable run in order to control a motor with the Dreambox?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I don't know about the Dreambox 500, but with a standard receiver 30 to 40m is OK. Though I have tested up 50m and it worked OK too.

There's a simple solution for trees that are in the way, you have to get your priorities right LOL
:-looky

Attachments

• chainsaw.jpg
    chainsaw.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
90CM Motorised Dish
Triax Quad LNB
My Location
Merseyside
Just to add my 2p worth..

Dream box and motors have difficulties working (as i have found out)... many tales of not getting the motor to move from the dream box.

However, I have managed to solve this for myself.. I have a dark motor, and a single LNB that draws low power. (the quattro LNB I had mistakenly put on drew 160ma.. the new single one I have draws 110, and the motor will now move the dish..

If you are unsure if this is a probleem for you.. when the motor is connected, if it wont move the dish, disconnect the lnb, and then try to move the dish.. if it does move, you have the same issue as I had..

Rob

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
27 should be well over that roof. When I want to know if I have line of sight over an obstacle I just look along my digital level while pointing it at the top of the obstacle.

shamone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N.E UK
Thanks for the other replys guys.

I have been working in the garden of late and will be triming the bushes back this week. I have looked at placing a dish at this new location which should be fine for 15W - 63E.

Where is the best place for getting hold of a scaffold pole from bar `borrowing` one:)

Has anybody used the coax from screwfix before? I have had a look at this one _http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81428/Electrical-Supplies/Cable/Coaxial-Cable/Labgear-PF100-Satellite-Brown-Coaxial-Cable _http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81428/Electrical-Supplies/Cable/Coaxial-Cable/Labgear-PF100-Satellite-Brown-Coaxial-Cable but it is not double screened and it will be run outside for most of the install.

Attachments

• Position 2.jpg
    Position 2.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 37

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
shamone said:
Has anybody used the coax from screwfix before? I have had a look at this one _http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81428/Electrical-Supplies/Cable/Coaxial-Cable/Labgear-PF100-Satellite-Brown-Coaxial-Cable _http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81428/Electrical-Supplies/Cable/Coaxial-Cable/Labgear-PF100-Satellite-Brown-Coaxial-Cable but it is not double screened and it will be run outside for most of the install.

That is not satellite cable, if it is not double screened then it is indoor shite mate. Get CT 100 or if running a long run then CT 125
See here for attenuation details

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
shamone said:
T

Where is the best place for getting hold of a scaffold pole from bar `borrowing` one:)

Look for a scaffold merchant. Or if you have trouble finding one, these guys will sort you out and you will be able to pick up from a local depot:-

_http://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/

They charge about £10 for an 8 foot length inc VAT.

The cable you mention from screwfix is fine, it is benchmarked and equivalent to CT100/wf100 performance wise.
_http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81428/Electrical-Supplies/Cable/Coaxial-Cable/Labgear-PF100-Satellite-Brown-Coaxial-Cable

Ok for up to 40m or so with a motorised dish.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Topper said:
if it is not double screened then it is indoor shite mate

I still stand by what I said in my previous post, but in this case, yes Robbo is correct Shamone it is OK as it is double screened so should be fine, what made you think it wasn't?

Attachments

• p4773680_x.jpg
    p4773680_x.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 28

shamone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N.E UK
Thanks for the replys guys.

I have contacted the guys at scaffolding supplies and awaiting a reply.

I will be getting the cable from scewfix as there is a local depot just around the corner from me.

I will keep you updated with my progress over the next few weeks.

shamone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N.E UK
Ok guys I have an update on my install.

I have trimmed the tree and bushes down and I am going to install the dish on a pole at the very bottom of the garden.

I have changed location as looking at the height the dish is going to be off the ground my two young kids may be 'interested' in it, also the other half wants it at the bottom of the garden so that is where it is going :)

I have purchased

Technomate TM-500
Gibertini 1m dish
Inverto Silver Tech 0.2dB Single LNB
Technomate TM-2300 Super

which should be with me tomorrow, also picked up 50 meters cable along with some f connectors and cable clips from screwfix.

I am still to source a scaffolding pole as the site Robbo mentioned replied back that they could only supply me with a 21ft pole from my local depot :(.

I am off work for the next few days so I am going to try the local scrap dealers to see if I can pick one up and get it set in the garden ready to mount the motor and dish on (when it decides to stop raining).

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You could always take a hacksaw and chop some off. Scaffolds are very easy to cut with a new blade in.:)

( I am often having to chop pieces off them)

Actually, if it going in the ground, two poles bolted together will be more rigid than one anyway, you can clamp them together with swivels.

howc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85 Alloy Dish
Moteck SG2100 motor
dm800HD Receiver
DM500s Receiver
also
Gemini 90 Dish
Stab HH120 Motor
Smart Titanium LNB
My Location
Surrey/Hampshire
Have a look on Google or Yell.com for "scaffold supplies" or maybe plant hire companies in your area. Companies like SGB who hire or sell scaffold are probably your best bet but you might have some luck with a local scaffold erector. I got my 8ft pole from my local Deborah Services depot, they were more than happy to sell me one and offered to cut a new tube if I wanted. Good luck.

shamone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N.E UK
Ok chaps thanks for the replys I will look into this tomorrow and see what I can get.

shamone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N.E UK
Well progress has been made today,

Phoned a local SGB this morning and then went to pick up a 10ft pole for £8.05.
Thanks for the heads up howc.

Got the pole cemented in and ran the cable along the garden and around the house using an existing hole from the previous owners freeview feed to bring it in through the wall.
Just waiting for the sat equipment to arrive now:)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
howc said:
I got my 8ft pole from my local Deborah Services depot, they were more than happy to sell me one and offered to cut a new tube if I wanted. Good luck.

Yep, I've had a few from them too.:)

shamone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N.E UK
Well after a while of waiting for the equipment to arrive it arrived on Friday and I installed it on Saturday.

The TM 500 is one of the pre release versions with the single scart output. I updated the frimware to the latest UR image which went on fine. I setup USALS and started to try and align the dish.

I followed all the guides on here but could not manage to lock onto a signal on Thor 1W on any of the transponders. I quickly tried a few eastern sats with similar luck, the signal flickers around the 20% mark.

Just for the hell of I tried 30W. 300+ channels came flying in with a signal of 82%. I went back to 1W and tried again but still the signal would not move, I tried some quick steps east and west with no joy.

Have I missed something in the setup or config?

I will try and get some pictures up tomorrow to show you the setup.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
You need to find your due South satellite first. Assuming all is plumb and motor inclination is correct, you should be able to align onto and sweep the arc.

Input Longitude & Latitude into USALS software. Send the dish to a satellite closest to your longitude and then align dish/motor around the pole and dish elevation only for maximum signal.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
When you physically aligned to 30W, did you make sure the Dish and Motor were moved "as one", with the Dish remaining dead in line with the front of the Stub (there is often a faintly visible ridge or score mark to highlight this datum)?

A common error is to move the Dish around the stub, which might help you get one single Satellite, but is no use for tracking the arc!

The South Satellite method isn't necessary for a USALS based installation provided the same basic elements are followed (such as getting the pole totally plumb and fitting the Dish correctly to the Stub) and fixing any point on the arc is quite adequate for an initial stab at it.

Of course, you may later wish to select a weak Satellite and fine tune the mechanical alignment.

The bottom line is, as you know where 30W is, it is perfectly ok to use that as the fixed point - subject to the earlier caveat!

This "Quick Method" achieve the same as the South Satellite method and differs only in that the traditional method requires you to find your South Satellite and to physically clamp off the motor/Dish assembly using that as a reference point, whereas the other way simply means that when you've finished aligning to your chosen point on the arc, lo and behold the Motor body is magically pointing South without you having to worry about it - It's a bit like "Proof By Induction" if you remember any Pure Maths :eek:

The "Quick Method" is described towards the end of most DiSEqC Motor Instruction leaflets and I personally believe it is less confusing than the South Satellite method for a first timer. However, despite personal preference, the choice is there - whatever works for you :)

Edit: Credit to Satelliteman as I've just spotted the Quick Guide is also attached to his Sig. :-worship