Losing 13E HD channels during rain

Eddles

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Polsat receiver, CAM & card with Sky dish & LNB based in UK
My Location
Bristol, United Kingdom
Hi all,

I just repurposed a rather old Sky mini dish, quad LNB and cabling to receive Polish channels from 13E using a brand new Polsat decoder and subscription. Today during heavy rain, we lost signal of all the HD channels or suffering heavy pixelation. All SD channels works perfect. The signal came back after the rain stopped. I can think of three possible reasons for this - the LNB has lost its waterproofing, the rain is affecting the signal or the dish is out of alignment. I'm suspecting the alignment is the most likely reason, but can more knowledgeable people give me their thoughts please?

Many thanks!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, very slight misalignment accentuated by the inevitable disruption heavy rain brings. HD Channels are often more fickle than SD, so will be the first to lose lock in adverse circumstances.

One other thing, as you are using a Sky dish and LNB (Presumably), you'll need to reduce the LNB skew from the normal "3" for UK use on 28E to "1". Unlike "proper" LNBs, the skew is adjustable only over a small range and is always going to be a compromise on more Westerly Satellites.

BM300

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, 7020, 800HD
HD-USB
8 Dishes
My Location
UAE
Signal attenuation occurs during heavey rain.
If your dish is not reflecting enough signal to your LNB (due to reduced size or slight mis-allignment) , pixelation occurs or channels simply go blank.
A slightly larger dish or a more sensetive LNB can easily compensate for this signal loss.
HD channels carry more information than SD channels.
If part of this information is missing, the picture is incomplete.
That is why the SD channls suffer less.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Swap the dish to a zone 2 minidish and you will be fine for 13e