Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
Hi all,
I lost Channel 5 a couple of days ago, I have a 2.4m dish that does not receive 2D satellite (only 2A, 2B, 2C).

Is this because it has moved onto the 2C satellite, as indicated on some previous threads?

I sometimes am getting a broken-up picture, previously was getting Ch5 24/7

Geoff

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I saw a report a couple of days ago that said the final C5 "region" had moved onto 2C.

No consolation for you but reception has improved in the Canary Islands!

MikeO

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.2M Dish
Invacom C120 UNI Quad LNB QDF-031, NF 0.3dB
PACE DS430N
My Location
Limassol, CYPRUS
HI Geoffreys,

Im in Limassol. Can get Five 24/7. In fact the signal from 2C is really strong, its coming in even stronger than stuff like Sky news!
Recently I had an alignment prob with 2D, but was still getting five perfectly. From the installer menu, Im getting a signal strength of around 80% and Quality around 90%. I think you shouldnt have any problems, but I dont really know what you should get with your size dish, and being further east than me. Cant say what the problem is that you are having, but Im sure its not due to too weak a signal in Cyprus.
Are all the rest of your channels coming in load & Clear?

Maybe youu should have a dabble with your alignment.

Sorry I cant be any more help.

Bale

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD box (Amstrad DRX890),
Sky box (Pace 2600CI),
3.2m primefocus ,C120,
Technomate TM6900,
My Location
Larnaca, Cyprus
Hello there, I did lost CH5 as well a couple of days ago , I am rather confused cos if I go the other channels and choose channel five which is on Astra C I receive it just fine, I know that the rest of CH5 channels have moved to Astra C and I get them through the sky EPG but the UK CH5 I can only get through the other channels, seems like it didnt move to the sky EPG and yes for me at least the TP for CH5s on Astra C is much stronger that the sky News one.

Thanks

S

skimberley

I live in Nicosia, with a 2.7m dish & Sky plus box. We lost channel 4 & 5 yesterday morning, but channel 4 returned later in the day. Today we are still without ch5, but ch4 is fine. Of the other channels we usually watch, they are all ok (eg Sky News, Pramount Comedy, UKtv food, UKtv Gold, Living etc). Channel 4 is our mainstay of UK television - will this going the same way as channel 5 eventually?

jin6x

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a 2.4m dish, quad lnb and still receive ch5 - but I've just lost ch4! What's going on? Location Peyia.

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
jin6x said:
I have a 2.4m dish, quad lnb and still receive ch5 - but I've just lost ch4! What's going on? Location Peyia.

Thanks for your reply, and indeed thanks to the others who have responded to this thread.

There will always be reception variations, especially in fringe areas like Cyprus, due to weather and individual setups/dish alignments.

But, as far as SKY is concerned we have seen only negatives since 2003 when BBC + ITV were put on the 2D spot beam.

Eventually SKY subscribers outside the UK will call it a day, I don't know how many 000s there are and if loss of revenues might influence things in a positive way in due course (?).

For myself, if Channel 4 goes as well (for whatever reason) I will be packing in MY subscription,

Geoff

jin6x

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Strangely enough, Ch4 returned about 2 hours after my last post whilst Ch4+1 didn't disappear at all. Obviously a minor glitch. At least my wife is happy again!:-

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
There are rumours Channel 4 will shift onto the 2D spotbeam early next year as well.

MikeO

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.2M Dish
Invacom C120 UNI Quad LNB QDF-031, NF 0.3dB
PACE DS430N
My Location
Limassol, CYPRUS
You know its funny,
This thing about locations within the island. I dont get any major probs with C4 or the five group, but I can almost NEVER get C4+1. Most of the time if there is a signal, its all broken up.

What was strange also was last week, I had a problem with my alignment for 2D, but I managed to get some stuff off Eurobird1 which I cant normally get (Movies4men2, legal TV, living in spain etc...all the stuff off that TP (11223.67 V).
After optimising for the beeb again, I lost these (Not much to lose though).

All I know is that these receptions are very fickle.

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
Analoguesat said:
There are rumours Channel 4 will shift onto the 2D spotbeam early next year as well.

I thought this was almost certain - they will have to move there if they are go FTA as everybody is assuming.

Bad news for those of us on the fringe )(-red

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
The problem with those that have lost Five is the region that the card is registered in. If your card is from the wrong region you will get "no signal" so you will have to manually tune to the 2C frequency and view it in "other channels".
Everybody in Cyprus can receive the 2C Five on any dish .

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
zorba said:
The problem with those that have lost Five is the region that the card is registered in. If your card is from the wrong region you will get "no signal" so you will have to manually tune to the 2C frequency and view it in "other channels".

OK, thanks for that. What is the best freq (etc) to tune for manually please?
Geoff
Famagusta District

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
zorba said:

Well further to my previous posting where I advised I had lost Ch5 (my card is registered at a NE UK address, so Ch5 as programmed was the last to move to 2C), I now have Ch5 24/7. I guess the EPG was over a week to update (not suprising I suppose as the update transponder is on a north beam with porish reception of late). Ch4 still remains a problem due to Arabsat interferance. I am thinking about Ch4 HD, might be easier and cheaper than changing from a 2.4m dish to a 4.2m dish!
Geoff
Cyprus

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Wait until next summer before deciding on any dish upgrade, the big question as to whether Channel Four will go free to air will be answered by then. If it does, it is likely to go to 2D.

Bale

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD box (Amstrad DRX890),
Sky box (Pace 2600CI),
3.2m primefocus ,C120,
Technomate TM6900,
My Location
Larnaca, Cyprus
I did noticed as well since yesterday that I now I can get CH5(105) through the EPG whereas before I had to go through the other channels to watch it.
I posted on a different topic that I was planning to upgrade to an 2.4 Offset dish, currently I have an 1.8 offset dish, I am thinking to install a 3.2 prime focus, I cant install a 4.2 dish on my roof due its size, is it possible to get BBC, ITV even for a few hours on a 3.2 dish, my house is located very close to Larnaca new statium.

Thanks

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
snap said:
Wait until next summer before deciding on any dish upgrade, the big question as to whether Channel Four will go free to air will be answered by then. If it does, it is likely to go to 2D.

Thanks for that, sounds like very good advice. IF Ch4 were to be moved to 2D, do you reckon Ch4 HD would also move there?
Geoff

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
geoffreys said:
IF Ch4 were to be moved to 2D, do you reckon Ch4 HD would also move there?
Geoff

It sounds quite likely, don't you think? Although all those transponders on 2D must be getting used up pretty soon now I would have thought.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
2D is fully booked, there would need to be some transponder swap arounds doing.

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
2D is fully booked, there would need to be some transponder swap arounds doing.
OK, we will just have to wait and see what happens to Ch4 HD when/if Ch4 moves to the 2D (Spotbeam),
Thanks,
Geoff