loss of channels itv bbc etc

nigel hasler

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.8 dish fortechstar grundig skybox
My Location
portugal
hi
i would appreciate your help i am confused as to what has happend to my sat reception,i am lucky that i was not affected by the new astra sat last year and have allways recieved all the itv and bbc etc,but last week we lost all of astra 2e and 2f except for channel4 and channel4 plus1.we still get all on thold sat ok sky news pick cbs etc.the channel 4 is the irish advert one.
my question is if it is on astra2e then why has everything else coming up no signal.
thanks if you can help

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Could be just the usual Seasonal variations, or your dish may have moved a little, or maybe the cabling is degraded. Hard to say exactly.

As for getting some Channels but not others from the same bird, well things like polarisation and FEC, as well as small differences in the power output on different Transponders can all make the difference. And then there's the fact that the birds have more than one beam.

And, of course, 2G is currently being tested prior to entering service at 28.3E in June.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I suspect your problem is this item in your profile grundig skybox

These are notorious for the capacitors in the power supply area going out of tolerance and some of the channels go awol. I had exactly this problem on our old Grundig box a few years back. Channels going missing is only a short step from complete failure of the box.

Pop the top off the box and look for bulging capacitors in the power supply area.

nigel hasler

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.8 dish fortechstar grundig skybox
My Location
portugal
thanks its the fact that the channel 4 is such a good signal strengh and quality picture and i only get blue screen and no signal recieved on every other channel.i have put the channel 4 transponder number into a humax box and it finds nothing but a old sky box gets it/cables all new and dish well anchored/why am i not getting other 4 related channels on same transpoder number as channel 4 ireland.wife needs corrie

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yeah thats exactly the symptoms I had - no sig on multiple channels, normal on the rest.

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Samsung Sky+ HD, Skybox, Fransat HD box, Fransat SD box
Several dishes up to 150cm, receiving 28E 26E 19E 13E 9E 5W
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
I too have been suffering from a seasonal variation, losing nearly all BBC, ITV etc, but Sky News fine. Experience has taught me that the problem is usually at the Earth station in my garden, and not at the satellite end! This weekend we attended an Airsoft match organised by Stirling Airsoft at Cartagena, Murcia - a mere 10 hours away from here at 75mph/120kph all the way. During our absence there was a bit of a heatwave in Lugo, and on return, poor reception. What had happened was that with the heat the LNB holder on the Targa PF dish expanded slightly, allowing the LNB, which is only a push fit, to twist slightly, so the skew went whiff!

I've often thought of getting a larger dish, but then most of the fun would disappear, so I'll stick to my 1m50 undersized dish...

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I was in Cartagena myself a few days ago. One of my favourite Cities to visit.