Lost all but BBC channels gradually

zigmund

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Pace 2500B gradually and intermittently lost all but BBC channels. CNN went first, Classic FM one of the last. Signal good also quality. Lost channels report no signal even though signal strength shows max. Replaced LNB and cable no change. Substituted an old Pace box, all comes good. Suspect loss of 22kHz but this shouldn't affect CNN? Have full anti-static surface mount replacement capability, suspect resistor gradually going high then open, or capacitor deteriorating. Is 22kHz generated in ZIF module if not whereabouts on the main PCB. Can't so far get hold of the service manual.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can buy an exchange module for 12.45 plus vat and postage from www.mces.co.uk Haven't seen any service manuals about.

briggsy

Reaction score
Hi, I have had the sky people around. The Problem was Water in the satellite cable. it had rubbed against the tiles on the roof and gradually water had seeped down the cabling slowly degrading the signal over a few weeks. No doubt this is what has happened to you.

O

Old Fred

That's common because lazy installers don't follow basic rules. Cable should never be installed over tiles because there's no easy way to stop it from moving/vibrating on a windy day. You were extremely lucky if the water didn't run into your receiver and damage it.

zigmund

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Not the cable, mine is about 3 metres and first think I tried was new LNB and cable. Grandata used to do a service manual for about 20 quid, but it is now listed as no longer available. Not sure how good it was anyway and can't find one on Ebay. Don't mind swapping the ZIF front end module if I can be sure that that is where the problem is, or at least that is where the 22kHz injection signal is generated. I assume it is a simple RC oscillator and RF choke to feed the F connector.