djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

1.8m Channel Master soon to be installed
My Location
Doncaster
Obviously like a lot of people I am trying to gear up for reception of Showtime on 7W.

At present I only have a 88cm wall mounted triax and realise I now also need a 2.4m dish.

The first and maybe finished stumbling block is that I only have maybe 1 or 2 places where I can put the dish, as this can only be out on the floor or a strong flat roof, correct?

Well here is a picture of where I believe the dish can go and the photo is a view in a 7W direction. Do you think the trees will cause a problem? I never quite understood how the angle of the beam works and whereabouts in the sky it comes from, so any advice on this would be appreciated as this may be the make or break of me getting 7W :confused

BTW I have tried taking the photo from where I think think the centre of the dish would be.

Thanks

Attachments

• P7080013 (1200 x 900).jpg
    P7080013 (1200 x 900).jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 42

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
My other questions depending on the outcome of the previous one are that I have seen 2 dishes:-

ebay 120136911228

and

_http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=48743&doy=8m7#faq

Would the one on ebay be a better buy, as I have not heard good things about the Fortec.

Does anyone recommend a different one and where else I can buy them, as I can't seem to find many dealers who deal with dishes that size?

Also what LNB would I need to get to go with the above dishes?

Cheers

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
rolfw said:
See this page http://www.satellite-calculations.com/ for some calculators, you will need to take some rough measurements to be able to get the answers you require.

Would that be the Antenna look angles calc? If so the figures it outputs don't really mean anything to me.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi djc, try this one.

_http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

Just enter 7W in the bottom box, then zoom into the map to your location.

For Doncaster, New Bridge Road, you get the following:-

Dish elevation=28.7

Azimuth =190.8

Polarisation =4.3

The dish elevation is the angle from the ground upwards that you need to point your dish. For a prime focus, this will be the angle between a line coming out of the centre of the dish to the ground (assuming ground is level). For an offset dish, the offset angle of the dish needs to be subtracted, which would bring the face of the dish close to vertical.

The azimuth is the angle from magnetic north in the horizontal plane that you need to set your dish.

190.8 is 10.8 degrees west of south, i.e point it south and then twist it to the right by 10.8 degrees, looking from behind dish.

The polarisation is how many degrees clockwise or anti-clockwise the LNB needs to be rotated.
In this case, 4.3 degrees anticlockwise, looking from the front of the dish.

If you have any obstacles in front of the dish, see this thread:-
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...ystems/98667-am-i-getting-max-my-1-2m-cm.html

I thought the link in post #11 was good.

regards
Robbo

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The one you need in the list is the Elevation angle for clearing physical obstacle calculator, it's about two thirds down the first list.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Or if you make something like this:-

_http://www.rondexter.com/professional/sun/home-made_clinometer.htm

OR this

_http://www.formak.co.nz/pdfs/07-guidelines/height-estimation-guidelines.pdf

You could measure the elevation angle to the top of those trees.

If is less than about 28 degrees, or a more exact figure if you use your exact location, then you will clear the trees.

Hopefully,the trees are much lower than 28 degrees, to allow for them growing, or the dish will have to come off the ground a bit.

Then you need to make sure that your dish is to the right enough (in your photo), to clear that tree on the left.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You could also point a small dish at 5W and see the limits of where the signal is available, it's close enough to give you a good guide.

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Thanks for all the advice and links.

I guess ultimately, what I am wanting to know is, if I will be able to get the Showtime Horizontal channels, but unfortunatley I do not think I am gonna be able to tell this until I have purchased and installed the new Dish.

Any other ideas?

Still appealing for anyone in or around Yorkshire who can get Showtime to let me know what kit they are using, so it would give me some idea?

Thanks

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Those two dishes (although one unbranded) appear to be the same very light construct flimsy steel type. If you're going to do it then think carefully about your most potentially expensive part of the system.

L.:)

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Lancelot said:
Those two dishes (although one unbranded) appear to be the same very light construct flimsy steel type. If you're going to do it then think carefully about your most potentially expensive part of the system.

Yeah I know what you are saying, but quite frankly I cannot afford a 2.4m Andrews Channel Master, as they're about £2600 and cannot really justify this outlay.

Which brings me to my next question, the 1.8m version could well be within reach, but would it give me enough for what I want and would it be a better option than the 2.4m ones I mentioned above?

Cheers

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Almost certainly better if set up well with the Andew feedhorn and good C120 LNB.

There was talk on here earlier of an Andrew 180cm Gregorian (dual optic) in manufacture again.

Likvid feel free to step in here anytime mate :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Keep an eye on ebay, as they come up periodically.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Channel Master have always made a 1.8m Dual-Optics dish based on the Channel Master 1.8m Offset Type180 model.

However the dish will not be as efficient as the Fibostöp as the dish is plastic and you don't have that tight tolerances on the reflector surface as a metal dish.

However there is a Russian 1.8m Gregorian dish you could buy that is made in metal, if you are interested in that i can find out for you, the Russian dish is really nice and of commercial quality.

Contact Andrew Sales for price directly, i don't have their prices right now.

Here is the picture of the Russian 1.8m Gregorian.

Attachments

• getsmallphoto.pl.jpg
    getsmallphoto.pl.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 45

staffspeted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 driven by Supermount SMR 1224 mount.
V-Box 11
Triple Dragon Linux Receiver.
Vantage VT-X221TSCI Blindscan Receiver.
Diablo Wireless cam and base.
42" Panasonic Plasma.
50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Lots of boys toys!
My Location
Herts , UK
Now that is a nice dish!!
Where did I put my life!! lol

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
djc said:
Thanks for all the advice and links.

I guess ultimately, what I am wanting to know is, if I will be able to get the Showtime Horizontal channels, but unfortunatley I do not think I am gonna be able to tell this until I have purchased and installed the new Dish.

Any other ideas?

Still appealing for anyone in or around Yorkshire who can get Showtime to let me know what kit they are using, so it would give me some idea?

Thanks

You may find even 2.4m is not sufficient in the northern half of the UK - signal strengths nosedive north and west. The trouble is that until the football deal was announced there really wasnt any interest in 7W in the northern UK simply due to the dish sizes needed.

Therefore there is very little data available about kit needed.

Dont forget the planning permission for the monster dish! ;)

To be honest you will probably find DigiAlb on 16E a more sensible option

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Analoguesat said:
You may find even 2.4m is not sufficient in the northern half of the UK - signal strengths nosedive north and west. The trouble is that until the football deal was announced there really wasnt any interest in 7W in the northern UK simply due to the dish sizes needed.

Therefore there is very little data available about kit needed.

Dont forget the planning permission for the monster dish! ;)

To be honest you will probably find DigiAlb on 16E a more sensible option

Well after chatting with someone in Manchester they are pulling the H channels with a 2.4m dish, so I guess with Doncaster being further east I should be ok, well here's hoping.

Planning permission, what is that :-rofl2

Digialb will not satisfy my needs, as I also had that last season and only showed my team a handful of times compared with ART, which showed everyone bar a handful :confused

I think I am going to take the plunge for the 2.4m Fortec from Maplin:- _http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=48743&doy=10m7#overview then if it doesn't work out, then I have not wasted too much money.

Another question, the dish does not come with a LNB, so is this the best to get:- _http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97081&doy=10m7 and I take it I will need a feedhorn? Also wondered if there is a better option of LNB/Feedhorn?

Thanks

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Theres another one on fleabay right now, at £52.00 current bid.
ebay 290135977880. Tis pickup only from London though.Might be worth a snipe. Finishes at 20.00 11/7/07

bit cheaper than £199.00 maplins,

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Robbo71 said:
Theres another one on fleabay right now, at £52.00 current bid.
290135977880. Tis pickup only from London though.Might be worth a snipe. Finishes at 20.00 11/7/07

bit cheaper than £199.00 maplins,

Yeah I have seen that, looks a bit of a mess, plus I would have to get a new LNB for it anyway. Also cost to collect would be best part of £60, so think I would rather have new. The one from Maplins is only £179.99.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
It would be interesting to see what it goes for. Probably £100.

Just looked on Maplins, looks like you may have to pay extra for delivery on that. But also says if you sign up for their newsletter you can save £7. Whoopiee.