lower frequency of tone controls for buttkicker

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
(previously posted in diyaudio and head-fi some months ago, without much response).

I have two Buttkicker LFE minis screwed into the frame of my sofa. The sofa is on rubber mats.

The Yamaha RX-V477 LFE output goes into a Y-splitter, one leg going to a Dali E12F sub, the other into another Y splitter connected to the RCA inputs of a Fosi P1 preamp. I've replaced the tubes with 5654W tubes.

The RCA outputs go into an Aiyima A07 amp (replaced with A07 MAX), with which I'm using a 32A 5V power supply. I have a 48V supply but don't use it because the fan is noisy and it doesn't seem to make much difference (now using the 48V power supply - I removed the fan and it doesn't get warm).

The speaker outputs of the A07 are connected to about 7m of 2.5mm2 copper speaker cable.

The buttkickers rattle a bit at lower frequencies, a problem that wasn't solved with the rubber feet on the sofa. I have the crossover on the AV receiver set to 120Hz so that the Dali sub can handle lower frequencies, but this also means that I get eg male voices through the buttkickers, which I do not want. Obviously I can buy a crossover and connect the LFE output to it and only send higher low frequencies to the sub and lower low frequencies to the buttkickers, but I'd like to try and do something with the pre-amp and amp, and in any case I still want the main sub to handle the lower low frequencies.

The buttkickers are sensitive down to 10Hz, but the pre-amp and amp only pass a minimum of 20Hz. The pre-amp has bass and treble tone controls, and obviously I have bass on max and treble on minimum.

I would like to modify pre-amp and amp to pass signals down to 10Hz and nothing above something like 100Hz, and also modify the pre-amp tone controls to amplify a much lower frequency range so the bass knob controls something like 10-40Hz and the treble 40-80Hz. My (somewhat limited) understanding of electronics leads me to believe that I can replace a few capacitors to achieve some - if not all - of my aims.
I'd be grateful for any thoughts, even "you should have read the FAQ, it's all there", "why on earth are you using a valve pre-amp for low frequency transducers?" or "no, not possible, too complicated to juggle caps and resistors". I'm capable of using a soldering iron.
Pics are from the pre-amp (which has tubes, hence the hesitation about which section to post this in).
Thanks!

Attachments

• preamp5.jpg
    preamp5.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 6
  • preamp6.jpg
    preamp6.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 6
  • preamp4.jpg
    preamp4.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 5
  • preamp7.jpg