make smart priority switch weatherproof

marty80

My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
hi, i would like to install a sps1 directly to the dish, making it weatherproof somehow. what would be the best way to do this or shouldn't this be done at all? thanks. marty80

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
If it's a Global switch, unlike that maker's DisecQ switches, it has no weatherproof cover.
If it's to go outside in an exposed position, you will have to make sure the plugs are well weatherproofed with amalgamating tape (as with an LN:cool:.

Llew

marty80

My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
i want to add another receiver which is in another room. so i would have to run two cables inside. if i place the sps1 at the dish, i only need one cable.

if i seal the sps1 and plugs in carefully, it should be ok, or not?

streetlighter

My Satellite Setup
Virgin V+HD XL Technomate 6800 Astra+Hotbird FTA on 60 cm dish
My Location
Cheshire
Id install it inside a suitable enclosure like an IP56 rated adaptable box using stuffing glands to run the cables into the box.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
IDD CI24 ECONO MM Penta 1.20 Galaxy II
1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 25 years and is now fixed on 13 East using two pairs of rusty molegrips. Unlike me they never groan but always perform.
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
If you were going down that road, I would suggest IP55 with plugged drainholes facing down as this will allow any condensation (which is bound to form with the wide range of temperatures it will experience)to exhaust to the atmosphere without letting further moisture in otherwise any moisture will be trapped inside and may hasten a unit failure

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would be more inclined to fit a twin output monobloc, or twin LNBs with two DiseqC switches (whichever setup you have), would then give independent operation.

marty80

My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
rolfw's suggestion seems most sensible to me now.

i was just reluctant to buy yet another lnb. (first i had a single one, then a twin, then a twin monobloc and now a quad monobloc)

by the way, can you switch a quad monobloc (which already has a diseqc switch) together with a quad lnb via diseqc?

thanks a lot!

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, I'm confused now, can you sketch what you have please. :)

marty80

My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
i'm actually thinking about a motorized system now because i know i will just keep on upgrading and wasting money.

all the lnbs together would nearly buy one. or what would be the cost of a motorized system plus installation?

(now i've got an 80cm dish with a twin monobloc)

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, still very confused, as you mention twin monobloc, then quad monoblock and then a quad LNB, what is that one connected to?

marty80

My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
sorry about that.

i've now got a twin monobloc which would be replaced by a quad monobloc.

i mentioned the quad lnb because i was thinking about getting another dish in the future for 28.2e with a quad lnb. the question was if it was possible to switch together a quad monoblock and a quad lnb via diseqc.

i don't know much about dish setup, especially diseqc, etc.

but then digiboxes don't support diseqc switching. so much i do know.

i decided on getting a quad monobloc now and my little problem is therfore solved.

many thanks!

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, but I'm still slightly confused, as if you only have one receiver at present, why do you need more than a twin monobloc for just two receivers?

marty80

My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
i said i want to add another receiver (to my two existing ones). cheers

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, sorry didn't notice that. :)