Manhattan boot problem

anansanity

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Starlight 6800
My Starlight 6800 has just developed the infamous boot problem. Looking on various forums ive seen that some people have sent the reciever back up to 4 times trying to fix it. I'm wondering, who pays for the carriage of the reciever? As this is a known problem, do Manhattan/Eurosat foot the bill each time?
Also, is there someone specifically at Manhattan i need to contact for this?
Ive had reciever since November 2002 & its been fantastic up till now.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London

anansanity

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Starlight 6800
jimbo said:
Have you tried emailing Support on the Manhattan website. If so, what did they say?

http://www.manhattan-receivers.com/modules/news/

I actually mailed them about updating of transponders list as the machine wouldnt add new TPs. They replied to that quickly saying it needed a software update. In the mean time, the boot problem happened so when i wrote to them again, i said i was aware of the "design fault" resulting in continuous boot.....& they have since not replied to me (after 3 days).

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
When they say 'needed' do they mean they have yet to write the update?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The memory issue is soft/firmware issues, usually due to a lazy designer. It can be fixed with an upgrade.
The boot problem is hardware related, down to the Eurosat partner in Korea using substandard chipsets in the receivers.

Its well documented and short of a new motherboard, is terminal for the receiver. In this situation the receiver would have had to go back to a repair shop, fixing under warranty is probably the only option for the supplier as it is effectively a manufacturing defect (in other products you would have a 'recall').
The carriage however is at the discretion of the supplier, most would be satisfied with carriage borne on each way by the sender. But if the delay in repair/replacement becomes unacceptable to the original owner , especially before sending, then it would seem reasonable to use a bit of persuasion to get the unit collected /returned at no cost.

Think of it this way, would you have bought the receiver if you had an inkling of the problems that might lie ahead, and be willing to foot half of the transit bill(s)?

anansanity

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Starlight 6800
jimbo said:
When they say 'needed' do they mean they have yet to write the update?

No, the latest software is slightly different so the extra TPs/stations can be added "user defined" or something. But seems thats not my main issue now.

Channel Hopper said:
The memory issue is soft/firmware issues, usually due to a lazy designer. It can be fixed with an upgrade.
The boot problem is hardware related, down to the Eurosat partner in Korea using substandard chipsets in the receivers.

Its well documented and short of a new motherboard, is terminal for the receiver. In this situation the receiver would have had to go back to a repair shop, fixing under warranty is probably the only option for the supplier as it is effectively a manufacturing defect (in other products you would have a 'recall').
The carriage however is at the discretion of the supplier, most would be satisfied with carriage borne on each way by the sender. But if the delay in repair/replacement becomes unacceptable to the original owner , especially before sending, then it would seem reasonable to use a bit of persuasion to get the unit collected /returned at no cost.

Think of it this way, would you have bought the receiver if you had an inkling of the problems that might lie ahead, and be willing to foot half of the transit bill(s)?

Today i'm visiting the company that supplied/installed the system to see what they have to say. Pretty sure they wont be interested as this was the only Manhattan reciever they sold (ordered in specially for me).
Maybe i'll just have to count my losses & get new reciever.

The machine was fantastic except for the boot problem so maybe i'd like a Plaza ST 550. Are there any similar design faults with this (& other latest) models ?

Thanks for the replies guys.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
anansanity said:
so maybe i'd like a Plaza ST 550. Are there any similar design faults with this (& other latest) models ?

Thanks for the replies guys.
No not similar but it's not the best receiver since sliced bread. They do have software issues from time to time but mine is fine really. I never buy a receiver for life and if does a good job for me for a couple of years then I'm happy. I get bored with them after a while.