Matrix cam against the latest Dragon cam

redrooster

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was looking to buy an MR cam ( thanks for the previous help guys ) but I have spotted a new Dragon cam on the market.
Being relatively new on the scene can anybody help me as to whether the Dragon might be a better option or not ?

Thanks in anticipation

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
At the moment the Dragon has the advantage, but how long that will last is a different question. It's a case of you pay your money and you take your chance. :)

redrooster

Reaction score
Thanks Rolfw,

If I went for the Dragon what type of card, or cards, would I need and where would I find the downloads ?

thanks again

Redrooster

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
As my embedded Cam works well in my STB...personally I have found that the MR is slower clearing channels!.....I am now looking into using a Titanium card!

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
rolfw said:
At the moment the Dragon has the advantage, but how long that will last is a different question. It's a case of you pay your money and you take your chance. :)
Is this still the general view? I have heard lots of good along with some bad about the dragon, so am still a little wary of buying this unit. I am hoping there will be a price drop soon as this may help my decision :p, i can get the MR for around £60 delivered but the dragon is £100+ P&P what to do?, what to do?!? lol :D One more thing is it true that there is a new cam due out? I've heard something about a "ultra cam" any info would be great. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes the Ultra is out soon, haven't got mine yet, but will posts when I receive it. Still life left in the MR yet, but as the list of available channels shrinks over the next two or three months (Hispasat to go to alladin), the decision will get even more difficult.

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Yes the Ultra is out soon, haven't got mine yet, but will posts when I receive it.
Great, i may wait on that then :)

rolfw said:
Still life left in the MR yet, but as the list of available channels shrinks over the next two or three months (Hispasat to go to alladin), the decision will get even more difficult.
This is news to me, i've only just come back onto the sat scene (i used scan the skies about 8-9 years ago) So just to update...what is being affected by the coming changes? I know about Nagra 2. TIA :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, the Nagra2/Aladin is due in April, Conax on 1W is sure to disappear in the near future as well.

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Yes, the Nagra2/Aladin is due in April, Conax on 1W is sure to disappear in the near future as well.
Hmmm....Big changes then O-no I may just use FTA channels till i know a little more. Thanks for the info Rolfw :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
rolfw said:

Still leaving about 1500 channels up there if you have the right outdoor equipment.This hobby has its ups and downs but is always evolving. Obselete equipment even has a habit of coming back into fashion on a three to four year cycle.

Dont forget the other groups of frequencies (not just C band) the transmissions transmitting something other than 4:2:0, even MPEG2 is not the only digital standard used on satellite.

The only part of the industry that appears to be constant is the content available is proportional to the size of dish outside.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Your dead right about cycles CH even the chopper is coming back.......just a few years out though..........about 30...............brian

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
It's probably wise to sit on things when it comes down to buying cams at the moment......I have heard as well that a lot of changes to be made this year with encryptions etc, it's probably best to stick with fun cards to well into the summer then see what's about!

afterburn

Reaction score
If I buy the infinity USB phoenix and the titanium card , can it be programmed and used in my irdeto cam . ( YES I am new to this ) I have an echostar dvr-7000 reciever

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
afterburn said:
If I buy the infinity USB phoenix and the titanium card , can it be programmed and used in my irdeto cam . ( YES I am new to this ) I have an echostar dvr-7000 reciever

Would say NO to that one a tit card will work for conax in MM or an EMB conax slot. It may work if you can flash your IR cam To something else more usefull.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You can still use a season interface with your irdeto, but otherwise it is of limited use.

afterburn

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's guy's. Following on from this, which cam would you recommend to compliment my equipment. I feel I have an all dancing , all singing reciever but at the moment I only have a stage and no performers. My aim is to recieve as many channels as poss. I have just moved to France and recieve from 30deg East to 30deg West on a 1metre dish. English channels the priority. I apprieciate your info and time. John D.

djemy7

Reaction score
I want to ask a short question on which cam is the best until now because iam going to buy one soon.

loftyj

Reaction score
How long is a piece of string.
Everyone will have there own favourite best bet is do a lot of reading in cam section and then make up your own mind. As an example I would go for Drogon with Dynamite programmer.

dolehaj

Reaction score
Simple comparision:
Dragon
+ super extra power
+ all known keys in
+ good support (a few hours/days after new keys)
+ no need external card (only for programming)
- bad card compatibility (but better and better with newer firmwares)
- bad compatibility with other cams (but better and better ...)
- harware dependent (with one stb working fine, with another full of probs)
- price (but conform to possibilities)

Matrix
+ almost every known keys
+ very good support (known xilinx file)
+ good card support
+ good compatiblity with other cams
+ laptop or funcard programming
- not so powerful (slower decryption) but good enough at the moment
- without conax (only with titanium card)
- maybe not powerful enough for newer stronger encryptions

So you can choose.
Have fun.
dolehaj