Microsoft make me sooooo mad!

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
The Microsoft web site always hisses me off. They always claim to let you download "free" software and updates and every computer I have had (I've had five), each time I try to download something, I get a message saying your Windows software is illegal and not genuine...

"However, to purchase the correct one, you can pay $79!"

Yeah, very convenient for them that my software is "illegal and not genuine".

All my computer purchases are legal - more so the WINDOWS STUFF BECAUSE THEY COME WITH THE COMPUTER!

I try to avoid Microsoft but I wanted to download the latest version of the Windows Media player (11), but once again, I was told that my Windows XP was illegal and not genuine.

Load of crap. :mad: Sorry to sound angry, but they really hiss me off. The helpline asked me to check the number on the tower with the number on my Microsoft welcome pack. "They should be the same."

THEY ARE!! :mad: All I got from the supposed helpline was, "If you pay the $79".

Will I pluck! :mad:

Sorry, in a bad mood. I hate being ripped off. My apologies. :D :D

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I personally never had this problem, but it would piss me off as well. There are ways of making your copy "legal" so that you can download stuff there, but I myself don't know how to do it.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Microsoft software now is, to be completely honest, crap. I was sorting out a Vista Home Premium (why so long a name???) laptop theother day and compared to older versions of Windows, it's just pathetic!!! It looks nice, but the functionality is useless, mainly as to install antivirus software, you have to download a patch for Vista, to install drivers for a new system, you have to download the drivers, which don't always work, the layout is abysmal, as where you'd expect things to be if you're a windows user, they're not to put it lightly!!!

So, for me, XP (even though I'm using my naughty Pro copy at the moment) is the last version of windows I'll be using. Vista is too expensive, too flashy to be useful, and looks more like a rip-off of the Linux KDE desktop appearance!!!

Oh, and pretty much all Microsoft software is too expensive full stop.... O-no

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
well, as someone who never paid directly for MS software (either included with puter or the other option) I cannot comment on the price. The vista I got on my notebook seems to work ok, don't think it is any worse than XP, got some new stuff and new looks, took a few days to get used to but now is OK for me

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
years back, i stayed with Win98 SE for as long as i could.

It was faster and didnt have a trillion things running in the background (i bet Vista has 2 trillion).

but eventually i had to move up when my new all in one printer scanner thingie didnt support it :(

the point is why do we have to have system files hogging our CPU, HDD and memory.

we should all go onto Linux and stick 2 fingers up to bill

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
RedDevil_UK said:
years back, i stayed with Win98 SE for as long as i could.

It was faster and didnt have a trillion things running in the background (i bet Vista has 2 trillion).

but eventually i had to move up when my new all in one printer scanner thingie didnt support it :(

the point is why do we have to have system files hogging our CPU, HDD and memory.

we should all go onto Linux and stick 2 fingers up to bill

I used 98SE for as long as I could too, I still use it now and again for compatibility reasons and for the fact that a lot of modern Viruses these days are targeted at XP and soon Vista.... :rolleyes:

But yes, why does it need to use soooooooo much CPU and memory when it doesn't need to??? At the moment I have 66 processes (I try to keep it down to ~50, but they seem to go up and up on their own!!!) using 1143MB out of 1372MB of Ram and Virtual memory, with IE6 using most of it!!! It's stupid!!! My laptop is a decent spec, Cel. 2GHz, 512MB ram & a 40gb hard drive, yet now it's running as slow as a 386!!!

Same laptop but with a 30gb hard drive, & Kubuntu, it flies along!!! :eek:

So, yes, let's all ditch Bill and stop lining his already bulging wallet!!!:-Nooo

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Where did you get your computer Saturlight? What make/model/type is it? Some small PC have been known to been pass off pirated XP as genuine versions when installed on systems they sell.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
T_G said:
well, as someone who never paid directly for MS software (either included with puter or the other option) I cannot comment on the price. The vista I got on my notebook seems to work ok, don't think it is any worse than XP, got some new stuff and new looks, took a few days to get used to but now is OK for me

I have been known to blag a hard drive from the local dump when I have issues with the operating system of a PC.

So far so good, now up to Win XP pro SP2 with IE7 on the substitute PC and Microsoft Corp think I am legit.
(How do you think Nigerians stay in the scamming business ?)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Ooops, sorry for not replying to this yet. :) I missed it. ;)

Often I just get fed up of all these hitches. Sometimes it's best to drop it. Often I cannot be harsed. :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
PoloMint said:
Where did you get your computer Saturlight? What make/model/type is it? Some small PC have been known to been pass off pirated XP as genuine versions when installed on systems they sell.

I get them from Curry's or PC World.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I probably shouldn't say this, but, a couple of years ago when we were moving away from Windows98SE, where I work just installed XP Pro Cracked edition, then later we had to go legit and only install official copies of XP Home, Pro and other variants, I haven't done Vista yet though, but again, they're Legit... :D