Monoblock Question

IrelandKev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Hi all,
Just a quick question about monoblock LNBs being used with single ones.
I just bought an 80cm dish and im hoping to receive Astra 1 at 19E, Astra 2 at 28E and Hotbird at 13E. With the dish I got a monoblock LNB for Astra 1 and Hotbird, but I'm just wondering will I be able to use this one with another single using a diseqc switch?
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I'm just curious
Thanks!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Yeah you can do it but you need a special DiSEqC switch such as the Televés 7269. This is a 4 way switch but has a second mode where commands for ports 1 and 2 are directed to the monoblock. In this mode port 1 goes to the monoblock, port 2 is left disconnected and you could use port 3 or 4 for 28ºE.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You can't cascade a normal Monoblock with other DiSEqC switches - only "Uncommitted" ones like the Spaun can be induced to integrate properly with DiSEqC switching schemes involving Monoblocks: A Monoblock incorporates its own DiSEqC switch .............

I get round this by interposing an A/B Switch (Often described as Cable Isolation Switch) whereby the cable from the Monoblock goes to one port of the switch, the cable from the single LNB to the second port and the mechanically toggled output (ie You push a button!) feeds the Rx.

Clearly the Monoblock Sats can be A and B as before and the single LNB can be either A or B (as there is no conflict owing the the Monoblock and single LNB being selected in turn, not simultaneously).

Of course, by the same token , the non-Monoblock arrangement can also be from a DiSEqC switch with as many single LNBs as you desire - My wife's system has 13/19E on the Monoblock and 5W/28E via a DiSEqC switch.

It's a cheap, simple and effective solution - around £6 - as long as you can get over the regressive step of actually having to push a button!

Edit: Make that £4!. eg eBay Item # 190351592624

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Here's a link to the tech sheet of the Televés 7269:

_http://www.televes.com/hojastecnicas/103169.pdf

IrelandKev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Hi guys,
Thanks for your replies, but would you mind describing what I need to do more simply as I can't really understand what you mean! :D
Thanks again

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
IrelandKev said:
would you mind describing what I need to do more simply as I can't really understand what you mean!
Simplest way is 3 separate LNBs and a standard 4:1 committed DiSEqC switch.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Huevos is showing you a DiSEqC switch that can be made to work with a Monoblock and I am showing you a simple method of achieving your desired configuration without having to get a different Monoblock or replace the Monoblock with singles.

Keep your kit, splash out £3.95 and you're sorted.

IrelandKev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Huevos said:

Yeah that's true, I'll have to just get rid of my monoblock in exchange for two LNBs. :(
Thanks lads!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Huevos said:

Yes ditto that, and you will have more adjustment of course, particularly LNb skew which is not possible using a monobloc.

IrelandKev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Yeah Tivo you make a good point, well including postage the AB Switch would be around €10 to Ireland, so I'm not sure what to get!!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
IrelandKev said:
Yeah that's true, I'll have to just get rid of my monoblock in exchange for two LNBs. :(
Thanks lads!

Please read my own replies which offers a simple solution using your existing Monoblock ................

Edit: Crossed in the Post!

You are, of course, at liberty to seek a better delivered price. The link was only an example to illustrate my suggestion.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Splash out with a 4:1 DiSEqC switch and slip in another feed on an offset bracket :-rub

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Tivù said:
Huevos is showing you a Monoblock that can be made to work with a DiSEqC switch
No, it's the other way around. It's a special DiSEqC switch that works with a standard monoblock.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Huevos said:
No, it's the other way around. It's a special DiSEqC switch that works with a standard monoblock.

Yes, sorry about that.

Now edited. Thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Seem to remember I set one up for my sister in France where I had an existing monobloc, connected it to a two way splitter, then ran two feeds to port one and two of a four port DiSEqC switch, then a third feed from the Astra 28.2 dish on port three. worked fine.

IrelandKev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Hi rolfw, and where would you get one of these splitters? Is it like an AB switch? and is it complicated to work?
Thanks

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
rolfw said:
Seem to remember I set one up for my sister in France where I had an existing monobloc, connected it to a two way splitter, then ran two feeds to port one and two of a four port DiSEqC switch, then a third feed from the Astra 28.2 dish on port three. worked fine.
That would only work 100% if the receiver were sending DiSEqC repeats. What I'm getting at is if the DiSEqC switch was on port 3 and it gets a DiSEqC command to switch to port 1 that command will only ever get as far as the DiSEqC switch and never reach the monoblock. Once the DiSEqC switch has switched to port 1 a DiSEqC repeat would be required to switch the monoblock to port 1. Obviously though if the integral switch in the monoblock was already in position 1 it would give the impression that it was working 100%. If the receiver doesn't send DiSEqC repeats flicking up to the next channel would probably have the same effect as a repeat, as long as the next channel is on the same satellite.

IrelandKev said:
Hi rolfw, and where would you get one of these splitters? Is it like an AB switch? and is it complicated to work?
Thanks
Code:
_http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Splitter-DC-power-pass/dp/B000NHBNII/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294239897&sr=1-1

IrelandKev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Hi again guys
Thanks for all your info and help but I think I'll just keep it simple and go for the three single LNBs, just to avoid any complication. I'm not really an expert so I think it'd be easier!
Cheers again

roxy2642

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
BSNL IPTV
WINDOWS 7
My Location
Punjab
Hey bro i am doing the same but unfortunately i couldnt configure this in my DM800 Tuner configuration settings.

Please help me in this. i would appreciate if you can show me screen shots of tuner configuration settings

thanks

rolfw said:

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
roxy2642 said:
Hey bro i am doing the same but unfortunately i couldnt configure this in my DM800 Tuner configuration settings.

Please help me in this. i would appreciate if you can show me screen shots of tuner configuration settings

thanks
If you are using a Dreambox 800 it is easy. Do exactly as Rolf suggested and set DiSEqC repeats to one. That way you can be certain the command will get through to the monoblock.