Moteck SG2100A motor and 1.2m dish

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 dish and hoping to get a motor installled on it
My Location
Ireland
lads I was hoping the other forum would help me out on this matter but not such luck, it seems this is one of the best satellite forums around

remember when i mentioned my motor trouble, ill go into more details now

well, Im having trouble with my motor. What happens is I can only go a certain amount westward but it moves eastern no bother and when i manually move it westward(buttons on dish) it works but from my 500hd receiver it wont work. eg it's like it stops at 0.8w (around there I reckon) and wont go any westward but you can move from 0.8w to 15.8 and back to 0.8w but no further (btw im only guessing its 0.8w

Iv done a factory reset on my 500hd but no luck

what could be wrong?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
headman said:
lads I was hoping the other forum would help me out on this matter but not such luck, it seems this is one of the best satellite forums around

remember when i mentioned my motor trouble, ill go into more details now

well, Im having trouble with my motor. What happens is I can only go a certain amount westward but it moves eastern no bother and when i manually move it westward(buttons on dish) it works but from my 500hd receiver it wont work. eg it's like it stops at 0.8w (around there I reckon) and wont go any westward but you can move from 0.8w to 15.8 and back to 0.8w but no further (btw im only guessing its 0.8w

Iv done a factory reset on my 500hd but no luck

what could be wrong?
Looks like someone configuring the receiver has set software limits. You need to find the software limits settings and delete them and start again.

Hakon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My setup
Laminas180cm P.M 60e-30w
24" SuperJack,Clark-Tech V-Box
Laminas120cm CM P.M 75e-30w
18" Superjack, Clark-Tech V-Box
Gibertini XP premium 100cm
Polar Mount, 12" Superjack
75e-30w
2 x Vu+ Duo
My Location
Sweden south
It sounds that theres a softwarelimit to the west, test to take it away in DM500 in the motor setup menu.

Gahh... Huevos was faster. =)

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Huevos said:
Looks like someone configuring the receiver has set software limits. You need to find the software limits settings and delete them and start again.

that someone would be me but im pretty sure I never went near the "set limits" in the positioner setup but if I did, all it takes is to press the red button for "limits off" and im sorted or so I thought. No it still wont move west for me

Im thinking there's something wrong with the tuner in the dreambox now but it's unfortunate I dont have another box that will move the dish for me to see what's the story

edit

some good news at least

just tried Positioner with USALS and it moves west for me so the Dreambox tuner is ok (that's a relief)

unfortunitly i need to get it going on positioner without usals

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
headman said:
unfortunitly i need to get it going on positioner without usals
Why? It's a USALS motor. If it has been aligned right it will be the easiest protocol to set up and use for driving a setup like yours.

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Huevos said:
Why? It's a USALS motor. If it has been aligned right it will be the easiest protocol to set up and use for driving a setup like yours.

because I cant get it going that way

I even got a car gps to get the exact latitude and longitude of where I live but the USALS just wouldnt work so I want to get positioning without USALS going again please

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
headman said:
USALS just wouldnt work
Well that is a good indication that the dish and motor have been set up wrong. That being the case, even if you do get the dish moving left and right it won't be tracking the arc.

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Huevos said:
Well that is a good indication that the dish and motor have been set up wrong. That being the case, even if you do get the dish moving left and right it won't be tracking the arc.

but it was working perfectly for like 2 weeks untill yesterday

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
headman said:
but it was working perfectly for like 2 weeks untill yesterday
What do you mean perfectly? Do you mean working perfectly using USALS? If that is true, either the motor has lost zero and needs a reset, or someone has messed up the receiver settings or the dish has mysteriously gone out of line yesterday.

If it was never set up with USALS the dish was probably never aligned properly in the first place. Lot's of guys use DiSEqC 1.2 instead of USALS because it's easier to compensate for a mis-aligned motor. Even if it had been mis-aligned it would still have been easy to get it tracking the strong satellites, but not the weak ones, although it will be ok on one or two, which might explain why you were already having trouble with 16ºE before yesterday.

BTW, have you entered your location correctly. Are you sure you entered west or minus in the longitude?

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Huevos said:
What do you mean perfectly? Do you mean working perfectly using USALS? If that is true, either the motor has lost zero and needs a reset, or someone has messed up the receiver settings or the dish has mysteriously gone out of line yesterday.

If it was never set up with USALS the dish was probably never aligned properly in the first place. Lot's of guys use DiSEqC 1.2 instead of USALS because they haven't figured how to set up a motor. Thing is if the dish is not aligned it is still easy to get it tracking the strong satellites, but not the weak ones, although it will be ok on one or two. BTW, you were having already having trouble with 16ºE before yesterday.

when i ment perfectly I ment using it without USALS. Iv had the odd trouble with 15.8 but they usually corrent themselves now I cant get it all

but the funny thing is after iv used positioning by usuals and went back to positioning without usuals the dish is turning west again, its very very strange stuff. At least its working again but cant get digitalb supersport but that's probably down to the dish not being alligned right

Ill see will the sat installer beable to get usals going but if he cant im stuck with without usals which isnt bad

BTW, have you entered your location correctly. Are you sure you entered west or minus in the longitude?

yes iv entered west
heres what i have in those settings
longitude 007.989 west
latitude 052.498 north

nothing

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
headman said:
yes iv entered west
heres what i have in those settings
longitude 007.989 west
latitude 052.498 north

nothing
Do you live in a field?

Attachments

• headman.jpg
    headman.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 37

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Huevos said:
Do you live in a field?

lol

where I live its not even on the dish pointers site

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Its a pity that they are so many cowboy installers out there, I doubt ill be seeing my installer anytime soon again
so im wondering lads, my dish needs better alignment and is that easy to do by a novice like myself ?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
If you follow the motor set up guides, it's pretty straight forward.

Having an alignment meter would make life a little easier.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Agree with SM.

Looking back over this Thread, I think you've already got a decent idea of the jargon and the steps towards successful alignment.

Read the guides, take a step-by-step approach with no shortcuts and you'll be fine.

Don't forget we all had a first time!

The beauty is you'll be able to adjust it, maintain it, enhance it etc. to your heart's content if you install it yourself.

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
ill do my best to install it myself, im going to do some homework on it all

oh btw Tivu I found the satellite dish manual and came across where the dish part is suppose to go

Attachments

• tv sat.jpg
    tv sat.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 35

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That's the one.

I spent an hour trying to find the Thread I mentioned earlier, but to no avail.

Anyway, when you take the dish off the motor and remove the bracketry prior to correct re-assembly, the way to fit that part and its purpose will immediately become clear.

The diagram helps after a fashion, but playing meccano is much more useful.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Did you have any other bits left over?, as there's also a long flat piece that slides down inside the az/el mount to make that more rigid too.

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Robbo said:
Did you have any other bits left over?, as there's also a long flat piece that slides down inside the az/el mount to make that more rigid too.

do you mean this bit Robbo ?

yes that's in the dish

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 26

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
lads Im going to start fixing up my dish some time this week, just waiting on good weather tbh

Im just wondering should i beable to get badr 26e here in ireland ?