Cheshire, England
thanks.
Could you please define high.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm assuming that you cannot receive Thor?

If you can't, it's probably because the dish is pointing too high.

SnapperChris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan ST 550, Nokia 9800s, 1.2mtr dish controlled by Uniden, SuperJack, Nokia 85cm motor driven SatScan dish. Plus Skystar2, and many other bits from analogue days.
My Location
Isle of Wight
My way of sorting it is to set up pole as has been said, it must be truly vertical, try a spirit level on front and side of pole.
Then using a plumb line from bottom of pole I lay a board or something straight from the bottom of the plumb line, or front of pole if set into ground, and with a compass I can get a straight line from pole to due south.
Then I move the plumb line and hang it from the LNB making sure it’s central, make sure the motor is in central position, then move whole assembly round the pole until the plumb line is over the due south line.
Before all this I set the motor angle as per the instructions for my Latitude (elevation on my motor is 40) the dish bracket angle says 22.7 but I find this to low, I set it back to 28.
Then up a ladder at night I can see my monitor and fine tune the dish angle on Thor, BBC World. I can get good quality signals 43East to 50West.
My Moteck is on a Nokia Satscan 90cm dish, with a 3" alloy pole mounted on my shed some total 20’ high, my other jack operated dish is on 6’x 3" alloy pole (£1.50 per kilo at local scrapyard) set in a socket in the ground.
Hope this helps Chris.
PS if a Doberman puppy gets tangled up with plumb line then whole lot goes well south!