Motorised Satellite line of sight

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90 Dish and Smart 60cm Dish @28.2E
Receivers:Dm800s,Dm600s,Dm500s,
Ferguson Ariva 120,Opticum x403p,Tm 500.
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
Hi guys
I have finally plunged for a motorised satellite system after years of long fingering and delays.
The back of my house faces South and it is exposed in high gales.
I have decided to put the 1m Gibertini dish on the East facing wall ,which is very sheltered.
I should be able to see all the Eastern satellites but I will be limited to 11W on my Western side .Its a compromise worth taking as the Southern wall is too exposed and the Diseqc motor wouldnt last long there.
The edge of the roof will be jutting out slightly over the dish ,a few feet up.
It shouldnt effect the line of sight I hope.
I understand Thor is the highest satellite in the arc ~30deg ,and the dish is a 21deg offset design.
I have a Sky dish at 28.2 ,its elevation is ~20 degrees although it looks like it is pointing below parallel to the ground.
I'm in Southern Ireland ,Latitude 52 degrees.
Essentially I want to know what kind of angle would the highest satellite make with the ground ,do I have clearance from the roof .
I think I can see 45-50 degrees above the height of the dish ,is this enough ?
Many thanks
Fano

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi

This is what site surveys are for. Maybe differecult to judge what clearence you'll get. Also depends on what motor and bracketry you use.

If in exposed location where you get high gales, fit a polar mount and actuator to the dish, much stronger overall. I just done one shown on another thread (Motorised Gibertini 100cm with 12" jack). If you think your sheltered enough on the East wall then a DiSEqC HH motor should be ok.

ditdahdahdah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised dish and technomate receiver
My Location
east Anglia
Due to your locatuin you will find that AtlanticBird3 at 5west is your closest due south satellit. Set up on that one, not 1west.
"J"

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Get yourself an angle gauge and a printout from dishpointer, then you will be able to expore all your mounting positions. Due south sat is usually about 30 degrees elevation, 45 degres E/W is normally about 20 degrees elevation. Dishpointer will tell you all the figures for your location.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Fano said:
The edge of the roof will be jutting out slightly over the dish ,a few feet up.
It shouldnt effect the line of sight I hope.
Your reference satellite (highest in the arc) will vary depending on which side of the country you are, 5W being best for the east, Belfast, Dublin, Waterford etc, and 8W for anywhere 50ish or so miles west of that. So for most of the island 8W is best,.

A H-H motor will add 8-10" more clearance from the mounting point than you would have with just the dish on its own, so you may find that you can get slightly further than 11W with the extra clearance, also this will help with roof overhang clearance.

Your roof overhang should not be a problem unless its really large.

In the attached photo my dish is pointing 43W and the overhang is not a problem (you cant really see the overhang properly from the angle of the picture.)

Attachments

• P140209_12.56.jpg
    P140209_12.56.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 117

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
Robbo said:
Get yourself an angle gauge and a printout from dishpointer, then you will be able to expore all your mounting positions. Due south sat is usually about 30 degrees elevation, 45 degres E/W is normally about 20 degrees elevation. Dishpointer will tell you all the figures for your location.
Thanks Robbo,I have already used Dishpointer to check the options available.
I used the obstruction option on it,very helpful.
I made out a 30deg line on a large piece of cardboard and stuck it up earlier,looks like I have plenty of room.
31 deg will be my highest satellite,its lower than I expected .
Your reference satellite (highest in the arc) will vary depending on which side of the country you are, 5W being best for the east, Belfast, Dublin, Waterford etc, and 8W for anywhere 50ish or so miles west of that. So for most of the island 8W is best,.
I'm near Cork so I will use 8W.
A H-H motor will add 8-10" more clearance from the mounting point than you would have with just the dish on its own, so you may find that you can get slightly further than 11W with the extra clearance, also this will help with roof overhang clearance.
Handy ,might be able to see further West so.
I am putting the dish on the East wall which is parallel to ~12W.
I will use a 20 inch TK bracket to offset the dish enough from the wall so as it can swing right around towards the wall,at 12W the dish will be perpendicular to the wall.
It will be shielded nicely from the South Western gales .
If in exposed location where you get high gales, fit a polar mount and actuator to the dish, much stronger overall. I just done one shown on another thread (Motorised Gibertini 100cm with 12" jack). If you think your sheltered enough on the East wall then a DiSEqC HH motor should be ok.
I currently have a Moteck 2100A (Still in its box ,brand new ) as I thought I'd need one of the Jaeger 1224 mounts if I was to use a 36v motor.
They look huge ,too big to wall mount and make a right racket.
Would the polar mount be a better option ?
What does that entail,polar mount,12" jack ,4 core cable and a V box is it ?
Might be considering using that instead of the 2100a,then I could put the dish on the Southern wall and see all sats.
Is it a worthwhile upgrade ?

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
satelliteman said:
This would be the identical kit required if you were to go that route:

SM :)
Nice piece of kit.Looks sturdy.
So I'd need to get
a)Gibertini polar mount for 1m dish
b)12" Jaeger Actuator
c)V Box
d)Few metres of 4 core cable

Are these Jacks noisy ?
As they are seperately powered unlike the Diseqc I presume they are faster ,sturdier and better performance wise.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Can be noisy but will track the arc quicker and will be stronger. They do a polar mount for the 85cm & 100cm version which differs to that of the 120cm & 150cm dish.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
satelliteman said:
Can be noisy but will track the arc quicker and will be stronger. They do a polar mount for the 85cm & 100cm version which differs to that of the 120cm & 150cm dish.
Ok,I have found all the required components,reasonable cost upgrade.
How much noisier than a Moteck 2100 is the Superjack ?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Just to add, the 1224 is as quiet as a mouse, barely audible. All gears inside are nylon, apart from the motor itself. Far quieter than any Diseqc motor I have ever tried inc Stab, Moteck, Technomate, Dark motor. It is big and heavy though, but unlike an actuator it will do H-H.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
It's the price though. The polar mount and jack are peanuts compared to the 1224.

How much noisier than a Moteck 2100 is the Superjack ?

Noticable but not over the top.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
Robbo said:
Just to add, the 1224 is as quiet as a mouse, barely audible. All gears inside are nylon, apart from the motor itself. Far quieter than any Diseqc motor I have ever tried inc Stab, Moteck, Technomate, Dark motor. It is big and heavy though, but unlike an actuator it will do H-H.
I thought about using a 1224 motor but decided against it.
It looks way too big/heavy to wall mount and I had read that they are noisy beasts (Saw a video in the Fibo Owners Club,it sounded like a hoover !)
I also think you need 2 positioners for them ,and I'd also need an adapter plate for the Gibertini dish.
The Costs add up plus I think the missus would freak if she saw the size of it .

I wasnt aware of the polar mount + actuator option until satelliteman mentioned it.It looks good though.

If I go for the Diseqc option I will get 11W-55E which is most of the main commercial satellites anyway ,plus its sheltered and nicely concealed .
Otherwise I can sell the Moteck2100 and buy the polar mount/actuator setup,decisions,decisions.:confused

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
satelliteman said:
It's the price though. The polar mount and jack are peanuts compared to the 1224.

Yep, agreed, not much change out of £150, the biz though all the same.:-rofl2

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Fano said:
Otherwise I can sell the Moteck2100 and buy the polar mount/actuator setup,decisions,decisions.:confused
I'd be interested in the Moteck if you decide to sell. Provided you do a reasonable deal on it. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Robbo said:

That's only because it came from a trusted supplier :-rofl2

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
or a freebee with a dish :-rofl2

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Should get 45e to 45w easy enough. I only checked as far as 42e to 30w for that system.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
satelliteman said:
Should get 45e to 45w easy enough. I only checked as far as 42e to 30w for that system.
Sounds good.
I thought polar mounts had a fixed arc ~70 degrees or +/-35 degrees ?