Moving SKY dish to other satellites

squarepants

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY+
My Location
England
I remember in the old days of the early 90s having a 16 channel analogue Amstrad receiver pointing to the old Astra 1 satellites at 19.2 and manually moving the dish on a known freq to pickup other satellites.

That was my last experience doing this, and now have the standard small SKY dish and digital SKY+ receiver.

So had the following questions...

1) Is it possible to do the same trick of manually moving the dish?
2) What satellites would I be able to pickup?
3) Can you suggest a strong channel/freq to use for alignment?

I am in the very SE tip of England if that helps with signal strength etc.

Thanks! :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

Yes you can do it with digital, but the sky box is not much cop for it.

As a start, Astra1 (19e) and Hotbird(13E) shouldn't be a problem with a sky minidish.

The easiest way to align it is to use a satellite finder meter, as if I remember rightly, I found it a bit of a pain to use the meter on the sky box.

I found that just by swinging the dish round I was able to get some channels from 19E, without eben adjusting the elevation.

The best thing to do, if you want to get more out of this is to by a non-sky sat box, such as as TM1000 or similar.

As the sky box is crippled, and has limited symbol rates etc.

Check on _http://www.lyngsat.com to see what's on Atra 1 at 19E.
You should be able to pick up any FTA channel on there.

If I remember correctly, it may be necessary to change the default transponder, so that the sky box meter works.

Robbo