MP3 Players, advice please

Messages
4
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox, Nokia Mediamaster, Broadband.
My Location
London
#1
Any advice on buying basic MP3 players?

Buying one for my girlfriend for an Easter present, she's not that techy so it's gotta be idiotproof. Looking for a basic one, not an all seeing Ipod.

Got my eye on a new Sony one, it's kinda funky in a girly sort of way, and it's pink!!!!

ht*p://w*w.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?s...e_Entertainment

Battery life 70 hours.

whaddya think people? Any advice much appreciated!!!

Happy Easter Bunnies......BAZZA
 

BarMoo

Post Meister
Messages
1,801
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
#2
I would say keep close-tabs on the technical spec with Sony. Sony are still banging away with ATRAC compression, so make sure it can load/playback MP3 as good as the next competitor for the same price/storage.

As an example: the SONY NW-E405 "Transfer up to 22 CD's onto the internal memory thanks to ATRAC3plus compression technology".

Fine, but is that also 22 CD's with MP3 or WMA?

Your player might come with "SonicStage" music management software. From what I have read on the boards about this software - most reckon its crap. I would recommend a bit of homework on that:) and, allegedly, it doesn't like to be removed when you might want to remove it.

Mark.
 

rob43

Regular Member
Messages
291
Likes
0
My Location
canaries
#3
my daughter got a sony nw-e95 (512mb) for her birthday, and is delighted with it and the battery life is as good as they say. far better sound quality than the one our son has. the nw-e99 has 1gb memory and costs just a little more. as far as the sonicstage software is concerned its pretty easy to use, but never having had other mp3 software i´m can´t give a proper opinion on it. good luck
 
Messages
6
Likes
0
#4
mljgmljg said:
I would say keep close-tabs on the technical spec with Sony. Sony are still banging away with ATRAC compression, so make sure it can load/playback MP3 as good as the next competitor for the same price/storage.

As an example: the SONY NW-E405 "Transfer up to 22 CD's onto the internal memory thanks to ATRAC3plus compression technology".

Fine, but is that also 22 CD's with MP3 or WMA?

Your player might come with "SonicStage" music management software. From what I have read on the boards about this software - most reckon its crap. I would recommend a bit of homework on that:) and, allegedly, it doesn't like to be removed when you might want to remove it.

Mark.
At least they do offer an MP3 option now, which wasn't always the case.
 
Messages
4
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox, Nokia Mediamaster, Broadband.
My Location
London
#5
Always had good experience with Sony stuff in the past, they are usually bulletproof.
It's nice to have something that looks unusual too, don't cha think?

Cheers Bazza
 
Messages
2
Likes
0
#6
i have a unkonwn brand MP3 player from a friend went to HongKong a while back, that plays MP3/WMA/3GP(i think) and few other weired file formats with FM radio and stuff.

thought nowadays all those MP3 players will play more than one file format for better compatibility and flexibility.
 

Boris B

Regular Member
Messages
10
Likes
0
#8
barryls said:
Always had good experience with Sony stuff in the past, they are usually bulletproof.
It's nice to have something that looks unusual too, don't cha think?
Hi Bazza - I've just been having a look at another thread on this site which gives details of a new Sony model due out soon (if its not already) - the HD5. 20GB hard disk; large back-lit screen (which rotates as you turn the machine - cool !) and around 40 hours of battery life. I'm not sure of your budget but the HD5 is priced at around £200 but you are getting a lot of machine for your money and its the smallest/lightest 20GB player on the market. I've put a link to a review below - let me know what you think.

Cheers - Boris B

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=35211&subsectionid=753
 

jimbo

Specialist Contributor
Messages
3,482
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
#9
Thanks Boris B. Looks interesting, had to laugh though, Sony have to get 'Walkman' into it somewhere. Nice little site T3. :)
 

Boris B

Regular Member
Messages
10
Likes
0
#10
Hi Jimbo - glad you liked it. I've been doing some more ferreting about and apparently there is going to be a limited edition, 30GB version of the HD5 (in silver), eventhough it has not been mentioned in the reviews. Only trouble is, nobody knows how to get hold of one ! Amazon are taking email addresses to contact people as and when the standard version is released. Maybe its just a case of 'lucky dip' !! If I get anymore info - I'll let you know !


Cheers - Boris B
 

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Messages
4,305
Likes
5
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
#11
Does this look like a good buy?

_http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/Content/Products/Details/index.asp?modelcode=AIW-HZDS2000#recomm

Aiwa HZDS2000 - Hard Disc Audio Player 1.5gb - £49.99
 

Attachments

jimbo

Specialist Contributor
Messages
3,482
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
#12
I took the plunge and got a Creative Zen micro. Nifty little thing. 2,500 tracks, data and voice recording and FM radio.
 

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Messages
1,588
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
#13
gameboy said:
Does this look like a good buy?

_http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/Content/Products/Details/index.asp?modelcode=AIW-HZDS2000#recomm

Aiwa HZDS2000 - Hard Disc Audio Player 1.5gb - £49.99
http://www.eu.aiwa.com/en/productnew.php?name=hz-ds2000

Doesn't mention WMA support anywhere, and the screen looks a bit basic, but for £50, if it did WMA, it's not bad is it?

Zen micro is a nice little player Jimbo, wish I had one!
 
Top