Multi-Sat, Multi-Switch, Multi-Room (will this work)

chrism1892

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Tyne & Wear
Hi there first time poster here, can i start by saying this forum has helped me quite a lot as to determining what system i would like to install.

This is what i would like to set-up: (Please take a look at attached picture)

1. Fixed Triax TD88 with 20 degree multibracket _http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/fixed-dishes.htm bracket from - _http://www.srt-versand.de/index.php?sid=435e26f7b4481d356455e2272676fcca&cl=details&cnid =cd44742c9a557deb2.35965308&anid=3158
2. 4 x Alps Quattro LNB's (pointing at 13,16,19.2 & 28.2) - _http://www.srt-versand.de/sat-technik/lnbs-lncs/alps/alps-universal-quattro-lnb-mit-extrem-schmalen-40mm-feed.html
3. EMP Centauri 17 In 8 Out Multi-switch - _http://www.srt-versand.de/emp-centauri-gigant-multischalter-178-hit-preis.html
4. Receivers - Sky+ (Installed), Topfield 7710 HD PVR, Technomate TM-6900 & 2 x Technomate TM-5400CI+ (or any other standard receiver)

I've had a look at the footprints for each of the satellites i wish to receive and based in Tyne & Wear it looks like the dish i have chosen should be suffice.

Q1. Would the LNB's i have chosen receive a strong enough signal to supply the multi-switch approx 12-15 metres away and would i lose any quality in the signal by going through the multiswitch.

Q2. With 28e going through the multiswitch would this in any affect the Sky+ box or channels (we have the full package and want fta in each room).

Q3. With the 17th input on the multiswitch being used for my digital aerial i have opted for the Technomate TM6900 with it having built in DVB-T receiver, would this cause any problems.

Q4. Is the Diablo 2.3 cam compatible with the Topfield 7710 as i can't seem to find any campatibility lists anywhere (or maybe i haven't looked hard enough!)

Q5. Has anyone had experience in ordering equipment from Germany and the company in the links above, how reliable are they or any other supplier from mainland europe & would i have to pay any import tax duty.

Can you foresee me facing any problems with my proposed install as far as i can tell the receivers will work with the multiswitch doing the diseqc control. The multiswitch will be fitted in the loft and easily accessible after install.

I am going to purchase the equipment first and then hopefully find a professional installer to do the install, does anyone have an approx amount for installing this lot? If it is any cheaper i could buy and run the cable into the rooms from the multiswitch it's the main part of fitting the dish, getting holes drilled (remember 16 cables running from the lnb's to the multiswitch and alignment which i would prefer a pro to do.

Is there anything you would recommend/not recommend with my proposed install like what cable to use, a different dish, lnb, multiswitch etc.

That's all i can think of up to now no doubt i'll think of more questions, i would be grateful if you could comment on what i propose to do.

Thanks for any thoughts & replies in advance.

Chris

Attachments

• Satellite Install.JPG
    Satellite Install.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 128

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi and Welcome to satellites.:)

Overall it looks OK to me.:)

Only a couple of comments. I think I would go for the 1.1 Triax just to be on the safe side, and to improve the resistance to rain fade.

You have a relatively short cable run, there will be some loss through the multiswitch, you should find the data on their website. You can get IF amplifiers to boost the output of the LNBs if there are problems.

The Sky Digiboxes have no DiSEqC switching capability, I believe the solution to this is to enure that the 28E LNB is connected to whichever inputs are selected by the Diseqc1.0 port 1 command.

Use a good quality benchmarked cable, eg wf100 or equivalent.

Robbo:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Also just to add to above, and this might not be the best thread to discuss this but....

As part of BS EN 60728:11 2005 : it says that anything more than a Sky Plus and aerial at points to rooms really needs earthing or making electrically safe in some other way.

This is electrical safety for 'Cabled distribution systems for television, sound and interactive multimedia signals'. Part of BS EN 50083/60728 Series.

-----

This has to be done on commercial systems as standard ! and as we are now seeing more and more complexed domestic systems out there around the home, earthing procedures have to be considered.

May sound daunting but is very simple.

Most switches come with earth bars attached to them anyway. You just need to earth all input and output cables to the main earth via a minimum of 4mm earth cable back to the PE (primary earth).

An electrician can do this job without too many problems.

Not needed for a simple IF set up but given your wiring diagram and the complexity of it, consider the above for safety. :D

Mods: (Wonder if a small sticky could be written explaining the basics of the above for info purposes only???)

Paul

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
satelliteman said:
Mods: (Wonder if a small sticky could be written explaining the basics of the above for info purposes only???)

Paul
I've copied your post as a separate new post and made it into a sticky. If you think anything more should be added then please do so.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands